1st Service, how much $$$

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I got my $220 oil change done so I can keep my warranty intact. Just wondering what the average is for this "Rip-Off" of a service. My buddy that used to work at the dealer said, they charge for 3 hours labor, test ride the bike and do an oil change. But if you skip it your warranty is void...

I really hate dealerships...

do yourself a favor... do it yourself...
biggrin.gif

I don't trust any of these freaking dealerships... Nobody loves your #### like you do...

Cloud

I got mine done at Southern Illinois motorsports for 75.00 and didn't even buy the bike from them. They told me that you can do the first service yourself without voiding warranty as long as you document everything and keep receipts. I did my second oil change myself. I hate other people working on my bike.

Paid $225 at the dealership I bought the bike at. There was a list of things they supposedly did, not just an oil change.

Changed oil myself at 20 miles (yep, 20 miles - Motoman break-in method). Planning on doing the first service here soon too. Use OEM oil and filters, get service manual, keep records and receipts and warranty will be fine. Also ordered a FI Sync tool so I can sync the FI system myself too. Not paying these high prices - and prefer to do the work myself anyway. ;)

I was told by 2 different dealers that It had to be documented by a dealership that it was done. I did the first oil change myself at 50 miles, this was the second, I brought her in at 675. I will go over the entire bike when I get it home to make sure nothing is screwed up or missing. There is a list of things they are supposed to check, my buddy says nothing gets done but the oil and you get socked with 3 hours of labor. I don't trust dealership mechanics, It came brand new with several body fasteners missing. This is not the dealership that I bought it from. They wanted $12,800 for an 05' and didn't have any in stock. I bought the 04' LE as a leftover still in the crate for $9400 at another dealership about an hour from me.

$12,800 for a '05?! Jeeze, I'm not sure I'd believe anything that dealer told me! Paid $10,100 for my '05.

My first oil change 500 miles:$38.00.Second @ 1000:$38.00....checked all bolts with my torgue wrench,tire psi and adjust chain.Kept all receipts and even took pics.Will change again @ 2000.Note if you do it your self you must have a suzuki oil filter wrench.

Have always done my own service work. My dealer has always told me just to keep receipts and document what I did and the warranty would still be good. I feel sorry for you guys that think the dealer actually does more than change the oil the oil filter. But alas, it's your money so to each his own!

They are SUPPOSED to check teh oil for signs of contaminants, check the steeering head and the critical bots and nuts along with the Oil change. Typically they change the oil and ....that's about it. You DO NOT have to have the first service done to maintain your warranty. You DO have to document what you did ( use the service manual guideline and simply check it off and report levels pressures etc. and show receipts for fluids purchased.
Doing it yourself you eliminate missed items and you will pay better atttention to manufacturer's specs than the dealership ever would. PLUS you'll save a buttload of cash!!! my.02

BUT to answer your original question ... the local stealership wanted $300 and the Stealership the next town over wanted $200 + fluids.

Did it myself, downloaded the Busa manual from this site. Created a PM program book for my Busa and keep copies of all receipts and have pics on my laptop with notes for the future. Save your money.

$250 here and that was with a 10% discount. Yep 3 hours of labor charged to change the oil and so-call tighten up all nuts and bolts. I took it to them because I'm bad with documenting stuff. With my luck, I'll lose all receipts and void my warranty.

Here is the breakdown.
4 quarts of oil: $9.00
1 oil filter: $9.89
3 hours labor: $202.50 ($225 - 10%) {Yep $75 per hour}
Shop supplies: $11.25
Total: 232.64

____    
10% discount for parts: $2.10
10% discount for labor: $22.50
These were already removed from the  price so we're still at $232.64.

Tax: $16.28

Total ammount due: $248.92

They give a 20% discount if you purchased the bike from them. I told them I saw the bike here with the color scheme I wanted, but when I came to nab it it was sold. That's the only reason I didn't buy from them.

After hearing that, they decided to give me 10%.

Hey, this is my 500th post making me a "Professional Pilot" and giving me a 3rd circle. YAY!

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125499880 -->

They told me that you can do the first service yourself without voiding warranty as long as you document everything and keep receipts.
EXACTLY!!! But I did my first (and only 600 mi) service at the stealership for $100. I got 10% off b/c I bought my busa from the place. Wow!!! (in saracastic tone) that saves me the sales tax amount!!!
ss011.gif

It came back with nothing loose, broken or missing. The only thing that they did that seems to be pissing me off is way over lube the chain. The spray from whatever goop they used is everwhere after riding it home. The rim is covered, the chain guard, the entire rear underbody, the blinkers, the passenger peg etc...

every time I lube my chain it also makes a mess for a day or two.what I found that helps is after lubeing I take a piece of denim jeans and wipe down the chain.jean material does'nt leave particals on the chain .

Back