Does the 1st service HAVE to be done by the dealer

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering. I have already done my first service myself. But Ive been getting mixed feed back as to whether or not it must be done by the dealer for warranty reasons. If it does in fact HAVE to be done by the dealer then I may take it down there and let them change the oil AGAIN just to be safe.

Should I do it? Or would it be a waste of money?
dunno.gif

I'm assuming you are concerned about a possible warranty issue ...

In any case, the answer is - No.

You can do it yourself. Just make sure you keep receipts/documents of everything.

My dealer tells me out right that I can do my own service. I always use OEM oil filters & parts, and keep a record. Of course, I've bought about 10 bikes from him so he knows that I and religious about service!

Ok cool. Thanks for the replys. It sounds like I shouldn't worry about it and just save my money.
thumb_up.gif

I have heard as long as you keep your recipts for parts you should be good.

The way I see it is like this. If they want and something is wrong with your bike they will use every means to say its your fault. When I told a yamaha venture rider I was going to put on a full exhaust myself he said'wont that void the warranty?' I told him based on my research on the bike the main problem that could occur is the 2nd gear going out, and they dont cover that if they can help it.

So based on that reasoning do your own maintenance and get to know your busa.
beerchug.gif

Had my bike for 2.5 years and the only time it has been in a dealership was when rubber2burn hooked me up with a tire change down in Austin. Otherwise, i do all my maintenance and i had a friend that changed my tires for me in his driveway but he is gone now. I guess i'll be going to the dealer for tire changes for now on.

I was told by my dealer that my waranty would be void if THEY didn't do it. Everybody else said that was bull s@#t ??

Also, keep a maintenance log on all maintenance, whether you do it yourself or the dealer does it. Good way to keep the value up on your bike and protect your warranty.

--Wag--

Re service I've got six black binders for each of my four cars and two bikes. If I do anything to them its recorded on a page with the date and the miliage and the work performed and if I bought a part its receipt is stapled on an accompaning page. For instance my Isuzu trooper has 357K miles and the binder is about 4 inches thick. When I go in with a waranty claim on a part and whip that baby open they know they are not going to bulls*it me. Hope this helps.

Back