1st oil change

scotty - 12

Registered
Well I did her. What a pita. Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions. I would up taking all hardware off but left faring on and just flexed her to get to oil filter and was easy after that. Took me 1 hour start to finish.

WARNING. My oil filters gakset got stuck on engine case. Check yours. Double gasket - down rider. Trust me, I know first hand.

sorry to hear about this. I hope you're ok. you're right double gaskets do not seal. I use to work on cars and a double gasket makes a very big mess.

Well I did her.  What a pita.  Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions.  I would up taking all hardware off but left faring on and just flexed her to get to oil filter and was easy after that.  Took me 1 hour start to finish.  

WARNING. My oil filters gakset got stuck on engine case. Check yours.  Double gasket - down rider.  Trust me, I know first hand.
yab... the gasket on mine stuck too, i did not pay attention till later on when i tight it and oil was leaking and i found out it was double.
wowold.gif

thanks for heads up.
thumb_up.gif

Yep, mine stuck to, applied a thin coat of oil on the new o-ring, did anybody have to remove the oil cooler line to remove the filter?

Just did my 600 mile gasket was stuck on mine they must of put filter on before paint was dry no problem with cooler line

aaa.JPG

Yep, mine stuck to, applied a thin coat of oil on the new o-ring, did anybody have to remove the oil cooler line to remove the filter?
Mine was a royal PIA to get the oil filter out. I have the brocks alien head system.

What I ended up doing was loosening the oil cooler and radiator to get a little wiggly room. It was just enough to squeeze the oil filter out.

Just changed mine last week, Thanks for the heads up. Im going to have to look and see if the old filter has the gasket on it. I haven't seen any leeks yet.

I learned long ago that's the first thing to look for after removing the fiter, car or motorcycle.  
thumb_up.gif
Absolutely

That is oil change 101...

You find the old seal or o-ring before spinning on the new one. No different then if a surgeon is missing an instrument before closing a surgery.

I personally experienced what the faces look like in a surgery room when an instrument is unaccounted for. My wife was being closed up after a C-section and an instrument was missing. It gets dead silent until it is found.

Yeah I had changed oil in all kinds of vehicles and one time I did it on a prior bike BAM the double gasket. Its didn;t leak right away. I let it sit for a day and then cranked it up and began riding it to work. Well after running for maybe 30 seconds to as minute it began pouring oil out. Of course I was in turn #2 at the time and wound up highsiding. My gear saved my life. I remember thinking to myself as I am sliding down the road, "what the hell just happened?"After I got up and got the bike up I walked back to the corner to find gravel, leaves or whatever the hell it was that I must have overlooked and thats where I spotted the trail of oil and traced it back a ways.

Thought it would never happen again, but i always check. So I figured Id post here to give fellow riders a heads up in since its hard to see in there and you may not notice the old stuck. Sounds like its common on the 08 Busa.

The only time I have ever laid down a sport bike was around a turn on the highway where a rendering truck (picks up used deep fat fryer grease) spilled some of its load. It is the most eerie feeling leaning the bike into a turn and it just doesn't stop going down until your tumbling.

I joined a van and a car off the side of the road that just slid off before me. At least the driver was found and the company compensated me for all damage to the bike without any legal help.

Well i got you all beat! I had mine done at the dealer, since i bought a 3 year service contract, and them sugarbritches left the 1st O-ring on as well. I got a mile down the road and decided to romp on it and fish-tailed big time. Lucky i kept her on both wheels. I was beyond pissed off. I threatened the dude that did it and they sent him home before they got me back to the shop. I got a $50 gift card out of it. Now only the head dude is allowed to work on my girl. By the way, it took them 4 hours total to change my oil. I should have opted out of the contract and did it myself. glad you are all right!

You don't need to take the line off if you don't want to. You can just unbolt the lower bracket to the oil cooler and take the filter out between the #2 and #3 header pipes. I think if you disconect the line for every oil change you may eventually develope a leak there and have to replace that o-ring too. As for the other people that keep doubling up the filter o-ring I think the o-ring just about always sticks on the first filter change. Whether you are working on cars or bikes, this is one of the things you ALWAYS check before putting the new filter on. It's one of the steps. It's as important as tightening the drain plug or refilling with the new oil. OIL CHANGING 101!!!! If people don't know enough to check for this then maybe they shouldn't be trying to do it themselves. Sorry to sound so harsh but.........

I don't see how this many people are having issues changing the oil...?

My fairings came off without any trouble and the filter slips through (without removing anything) a couple different ways just like the Gen-I. Am I missing something here....?
rock.gif

they get stuck cause they bake on. when you replace put your finger in some of the old oil and smear on new ring. keeps it from getting stuck. many many many people already do this..

Well i got you all beat!  I had mine done at the dealer, since i bought a 3 year service contract, and them sugarbritches left the 1st O-ring on as well.  I got a mile down the road and decided to romp on it and fish-tailed big time.  Lucky i kept her on both wheels.  I was beyond pissed off.  I threatened the dude that did it and they sent him home before they got me back to the shop.  I got a $50 gift card out of it.  Now only the head dude is allowed to work on my girl.   By the way, it took them 4 hours total to change my oil.  I should have opted out of the contract and did it myself.  glad you are all right!
see..... that is why i don't take mine to dealer because they have 18 years old kid with no experience do things.

Back