1st Full weekend of riding & I've lost feeling in my thumb....

tighten up those abs and lower back and thighs to get the pressure off the hands. i never have a problem with wrist/hand discomfort unless im in the city

I'm just a child:laugh:

That makes me an infant :whistle:

Don and I are old as dirt and we both have logged some miles in a single day that exceed 500 miles.

Riding position, sounds like you should know this but I try to use my abs to relieve some of the weight placed on my throttle hand. Stretching my fingers across the brake handle if and when I start to feel the tingle, and a cruise control device would be a plus. I've never had one, but manage. Vibration can also cause some of this trouble.

The more you ride the better it will get.

Are you coming to the Bash ?

That makes me an infant :whistle:

Don and I are old as dirt and we both have logged some miles in a single day that exceed 500 miles.

Riding position, sounds like you should know this but I try to use my abs to relieve some of the weight placed on my throttle hand. Stretching my fingers across the brake handle if and when I start to feel the tingle, and a cruise control device would be a plus. I've never had one, but manage. Vibration can also cause some of this trouble.

The more you ride the better it will get.

Are you coming to the Bash ?

Thanks for the good advice from you and ambulldog. I'm in average shape , but like a lot of us, my work entails I sit my ass in front of a 'puter all day. So yeah....I could stand to get back in the gym. And based off of what has been recommended to me. I will be going to join somewhere this weekend. That along w/ some adjustments to the Busa & getting some more saddle time under my belt will hopefully do the trick.

I would love to join in on the Bash! Where is it? Can you please provide a link?

Thanks,

Brian

I have experienced numbness in my throttle thumb as well and I am riding a zx-14 which is supposed to be a little more comfy for long rides. Never any permanent numbness. My palms had long term soreness but that went away after my hands got used to the riding position.

....So from time to time I'd reach over w/ my left hand to stay under power and release the pressure on my right hand. Wiggle it around & stretch it like I'm sure we all occasionally do....

JMHO, but that sounds pretty dangerous for you. Just get a Throttlemeister.

Mythos

Takeuon, did I see you on 540 earlier this week? if not, it was a 08 blue with 30 day tags. nice bike either way.

That probably was me :lol:

Send me PM if you're interested in riding this weekend.

I may do that. I'll be on the zx10 tho as a guy wanted my busa more than I did. My baby is leaving here tomorrow, but I made money on the deal, so what can I say. I'll have a white 09 in a couple of weeks:cheerleader:so I want be m.i.a to long, as busa withdrawels are ruff.:lol:

With mine...it was the gloves cutting into my hand. Did not feel it...but once I changed to some more comfortable ones...it went away.

Thanks for the good advice from you and ambulldog. I'm in average shape , but like a lot of us, my work entails I sit my ass in front of a 'puter all day. So yeah....I could stand to get back in the gym. And based off of what has been recommended to me. I will be going to join somewhere this weekend. That along w/ some adjustments to the Busa & getting some more saddle time under my belt will hopefully do the trick.

I would love to join in on the Bash! Where is it? Can you please provide a link?

Thanks,

Brian

At work, I once heard a guy tell another guy to get his thumb out of his butt and get back to work. Not sure if it applies here. But was just addin to the convo. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I wear gusseted gloves with a velcro tensioner around the wrist. It was causing my thumb to cramp when too tight. Now I make a fist to expand the muscle at the base of my palm just below the thumb before tightening the velcro to give myself a firm but not tight fiting glove when gripping the throttle.

Thanks,

Brian

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/2009-busa-bash/95874-spring-bash-2009-april-23-26-a.html

Back