1st accident .8 miles on the odometer

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I picked up my band new 04' leftover LE today after doing the cash/bike swap for the Warrior.  I have a few questions fopr you guys, but on to the topic at hand.

I was trailering the bike home because I can't do the legal plate swap until Monday.  This is the third time in use for these straps 1200 lb w/ratchet( They went to Lake George and back with the Warrior and then earlier today to meet the new owner of the Warrior).  I used the bar strap that goes over each grip and then through itself and you hook the straps to that.  The ratchet on the left strap let go and the bike flipped onto its right side into (THANK GOD) the trailer instead of over the side onto the highway.  It went down slow there is virtually no body damage but a scuff on the screen and a black mark on the body from the second wheel chock on the trailer.  The black mark rubbed almost completely off with some wax and elbow grease.  The problem is the bike stayed in the chock semi upright, by the time I got pulled off and stopped it was too late.  The right front rotor and carrier were bent to almost 35 degrees  from flat.  The guy behind me who was blowing his horn like a madman stopped and helped me upright the bike and get it resecured.  I called the dealer(they loaded it for me) and told them what happened, they offered me whatever parts I needed at cost.  I called my buddy with the local shop and headed straight there.

The bike could not even be rolled.  We used a piece of wood and were able to bend it out enough to get it off the trailer.  Took a torch to it and bent it as true as we could.  I have no front brakes, the high spot compresses the caliper so far the whole system loses pressure and the lever goes dead, 3 or 4 quick squeezes and it comes right back until you rotate the wheel again.  I need at least 1 rotor and a good bleeding and hopefully it will recover.

The strap snapped right above the ratchet, there were no signs of wear and they have not spent any time in the sun.  I'm clueless and really pissed off.  I have a brand new bike that has already been down before it even clicked off 1 mile and I can't even ride it for at least a week while I wait for a new rotor.

Anyway, I have a high pitched whistle while the bike is at idle that picks up with the throttle.  Do they all whistle while inhailing or should I be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere, I don't know if it stumbles in the RPM's anywhere, I can't ride it.  Anyone with an LE, are your rubber frame plugs grey or is my dealer retarded?  My frame is black and there are grey rubber plugs for covers...

Anybody have a stock rotor they want to sell?

Anyway I had time to remove the safety stickers and reflectors...
smile.gif

Dave

PS drowning my bad day in beer...

<!--EDIT|DNGrumpy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122170216 -->

Man......... that just sucks , sorry dude , things will get better when yu get to go for a ride. sj

Congratz on the new bike. Sorry that this happened, but it could have been worse.

Sorry to hear that. That truely sucks
sad.gif
...enjoy the beer
wink.gif

The straps are rated according to their breaking strength, not the safe working load. The load rating is usually 1/3 of the breaking strength to account for shock loading. I just bought a set and they had a rating of 1800 lbs, but only had a working load rating of 600 lbs. You 1200 lb straps will safely handle a 400 lb load. With two straps, you should have been fine. The only thing I can think of, is that there may have been a nick near the ratchet assembly, and when the bike moved, it put enough strain on it to finish it off.

Good luck finding your parts. Give it some time, I'm sure someone around here can hook you up with what you need. Try posting in the classifieds also as "WTB" Wanted to Buy.

Get rid of those chocks! They are fine for cruisers, but with sportbikes the rotor is often almost as big as the wheel itself. That puts the rotors between the bars of those Pop Chocks. Even in a case less extreme than yours (i.e. the bike doesn't have to fall, just move around a bit in the chock) the rotor can contact the chock and get damaged. They are a bit pricey, but there is a group buy on here now posted in this section for Baxley or Condor chocks. I bought the aluminum Condors and love 'em. Just got back from trailering 2k miles with them. You don't even need your bar harness. I bent one of my rotots in a chock like you probably have. Found good replacement parts on E-bay.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: "Ill....illit.....aw hell, can't spell."|1122172904 -->

I can pick up a Condor with the trailer mount for $225 from the dealer that I bought the bike from. Seems pretty reasonable, they were more at Americade.

I'll have a rotor on Thursday from the dealer, just kills me, I watched it fall and couldn't do a damn thing to stop it.

How about the whistle? The Warrior did it but it was after some major motor mods and it came from the Velocity Stacks. It was a definate sucking/ air rushing sound. This isn't quite as defined.

I feel your pain! Had the same thing happen to me and never figured out why. Sometimes I think I strapped it down too tight on one side and the stress induced by a bump caused it the strap to break. You will recover, as will the bike. It sucks that it happened so early on, but once you start riding you will put that to the back of your mind. Welcome to the club, get the bike fixed and enjoy the ride! Oh yeah, let us know how things turn out and post pics!

Sorry to hear about the bad news bro! Like BigBS said once you get her fixed and rolling again you won't have a second thought about it!

So who loaded the bike and strapped it in? If the dealer did, then I would think they are part culpible. If it was you, then they are being very nice about selling parts @ cost to you to bring the bike back. Either way it happened, thats a bummer man.
sad.gif
Anyhow, seeing as how they are offering parts @ cost for you at the moment, you may want to buy some disposable stuff besides the hard parts needed. You know, tires, oil filters, oil, cush drive rubbers, Honda polish, leather jackets etc... and whatever else will make you happy.
smile.gif

As to the whistle? Man, i'm clueless. It does have quite an induction noise standing still and twisting the throttle but while moving I cant hear it really (tight fitting shoei lid.)

I'm tipping a cranberry juice and vodka right now, and to you I'll make my next toast:
May your next mile be smooth and fast!
beerchug.gif

The only thing I can think of that might make that sounds is the fuel pump...As far as the straps I change them out on the regular...I had the same thing happen and have a few paint scuffs to show (battle scars)...The last pair I bought should hold a car in place...

What a nightmare!
eek2.gif
I was nervous as Hell haulin' my 636 home from the dealer. I stopped SEVERAL times to check the straps. Always have a fear of it working loose and takin' a tumble. In a way though I'd rather it go down like that than to have it go down with me ridin' it.
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your mishap! That sucks! So the dealer loaded it? But used your straps? Luckily they volunteered to replace the parts for you. Certain dealers may have blamed the issue on your straps and told you to contact your insurance company! Sounds like you've found a good dealership.

Most good ratchet straps "lock" when you completely close the ratcheting arm. I've never had one just let go, although if your trailer hit a bump and the forks compressed, that might have produced enough play in the straps to were a hook became disconnected. Or if the dealer didn't ratchet enough of the strap material into the ratchet hub, a strap could have slipped loose. Although those straps claim 1200 lbs each, that only applies if they're used properly. Let me guess.... young kids at the dealership strapped it down for you? You'd be surprised how many people don't understand how those straps work!

When I tow I use a Condor my mount and 8 straps (4 front, 4 rear). And no one straps it down but me!
smile.gif

As for the "high pitched whistle"... Nope, never heard that on mine. Get the dealer to check it out!

Hang in there. You'll overcome the issues and be riding soon!
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the bike. Sorry to hear of mishap, but it could've been much worse. I used the canyon dancers too but trip was uneventful.
Sorry I don't know what whistle could be as I am a new owner too. I hear these beasts make lots of noises and am searching this board for answers with search button.
Enjoy.

I buy new straps every 6 months or so one way or the other. Actually the salesman was the owner and he loaded the bike for me... The strap slpit about an inch above the ratchet, the didn't have any cuts or tears that I saw...

Sorry to hear about the broken strap and damaged bike. Almost had the same thing when I trailered "My Baby" back to the house. Only thing that saved her was her kick stand was still down. We hit a bump in the road and the strap came loose, bike went up and then came down wiggled and landed on the kick stand. Took me a few minutes to strap her back down, couldn't stop shaking.

Damn that sucks man. Good luck getting her back together it will be worth the wait.

After taking it apart I realized both front rotors were bent, I ordered a set of EBC Prolite rotors for it...

Back