170 HP BMW for 2005

How much will as the Ad say the Busa Slayer cost.  And I see a possible chance I mean a factory super setup thats got to lay it down but will it end up geared like a liter bike?
Supposed to cost around $17-20,000 Depending on what features you get (heated grips, luggage, etc...). Don't really know about gearing...

It's an expensive, maintenance intensive, perky sport-tourer with a shaft. BMW bikes are definitely not BMW cars in terms of performance and reliability, I speak from experience. The 'Busa is much more basic, reliable, and will be faster...

...though, let's face it, even after that shaft sucks off 20% of the K-S's hp we're still talking about a pair of really powerful motorcycles. Get to know and love your BMW Motorrad service manager, however, I'm telling you now.

Given that all motorcycles are adapted by their owners and don't stay stock for long, consider what you will want out of a fast sport-tourer. The Hayabusa, even with its vintage, is and will be readily more useful and enjoyable, bottom line.

Bear in mind, also, that BMW motorcycles represent something like 3% of all sales in the US, though that's their largest market outside of Germany. They never have had the volume necessary to achive Big Four quality control.

A side effect of this low volume is an air of exclusivity, which they play to the hilt in marketing (that annoys me). Another side effect is that BMW service has necessarily become second to none, but the dealerships are also far apart.

A 'Busa is a hard-core riding machine -- all business. A BMW is a rolling jobs program for mechanics and parts counters.

We did a mechanical efficiency test on the dyno and shaft drive will only cause a loss of roughly 2 hp more then a chain final drive.

In the Cycle world article on the BMW, they say bmw got a busa, cut the frontend off and graphed on their new frontend. That's a pretty big hint of things to come. I think the busa has most of what bmw wants for their bike but they'll add the german touch to it. I sure that even if the beemer proves itself a busa killer, you won't find the owners on the prowl for busa's and probly the only thing they'll change is the tires when they wear. Most of BMW bikes i've seen are stone dead stock,very dirty and the owners are only worried about one thing, how many miles can they do in a day with their heated grips.

We did a mechanical efficiency test on the dyno and shaft drive will only cause a loss of roughly 2 hp more then a chain final drive.
A post-'98 BMW K1200RS generates upwards of 130bhp. They seldom (in multiple runs I've seen) break 110rwhp in stock form, and often are a good deal lower. Lots of variables, I know, but that right angle and pivot in the final drive makes a diff.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088877106 -->

I still say let me put $17-$20k in the Busa and let's hear who's even thinking about talking.......My money can definately be better spent elsewhere....Of course that's IMHO!

Dan

Back