16T vs. 17T

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I was just wondering how much top-end speed is lost when going from the stock 17T sprocket to a 16T.

I ask this because I was told if I do that, a K5/K6 will have a much harder time with Busas in roll-on races. My thing is, I prefer higher top-end as opposed to quicker acceleration (I don't do much "here to there" racing).

Just wonderin'

there used to be a calculator or sorts for that around here... dont recall where I saw it though. Would be interesting to find out though
cool.gif

I have an excel spreadsheet calculator that I got from someone on this site or sh.org ... PM me your email and I will send it to you.

You'll never catch a 16T busa with your 17T stock bike all the way to 175MPH. After that, you may or may not gain slightly at top speed but my guess is, you won't have enough straight road to maintain top speed long enough to catch up? If you want to add muscle to your busa, drop one in the front or up three in the rear (Which I prefer) and you'll never look back. Higher gearing is great if you add enough HP to pull the higher gears. However, your stock busa will not reach redline with stock gearing in sixth gear unless you are on a downhill run.

I have 16T front and 41T rear and I still got 174 mph on the gps. And since i changed the same amount on both front and rear the stock chain still fits.

It also is a lot of fun drag racing with the quicker acceleration but 174 is still a rush.

I found the spreadsheet... here's what it says for 16 x40

gear_speed.gif

This has probably been asked before. If I go to a 16t front, will my mileage on the odometer rack up faster than the actual mile that I'm traveling?

Don't know that a 16 will keep a 1k off your butt but it sure is a fun ride...Most races are won out the hole standing or roll on and the 16 will certainly help...As far as top end goes I could care less...We don't have a TN mile here but there are a few fella's that will try to beat you to a bill fifty...

Back