16/42 setup - how is it really?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm considering switching to a 16t, but I see where the 42 rear at the same time.  That does sound a bit more agressive
rock.gif

I'd like to move the "useable" power into a range that I can actually use around town.  I'm not as much a top end person, actually I've only taken mine up to 185 (indicated) once, figured I had to do it once but am just fine with not doing it again
wink.gif
  At the same time I rarely ever get WFO in first gear....usually rip it open in 2nd/3rd when we are riding in the country.  

Will moving to a 16/42 make the bike stand up more (me thinks so & not really what I want) and how will it really affect where the "real" power comes into play (4-7k rpm = what mph)?  If I stick with the stock 40t but drop to a 16t up front, will I need to change my chain or can I just use the current one?  Will I need a new chain(length?) if I move to the 16/42?  Also can anyone suggest the best place to get new sprockets.

Thanks in advance
Brian

You answered most of your own questions.  Leave your stock gearing for your riding style. going to a 16T will give you quicker lauches and bring th bike up easier. 16T will also screw up your MPH and your odoeter readings.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089651747 -->

Thanks NE. I'm not totally against it coming up if I want it to, just really want to try and get into the power range sooner, so maybe some quicker starts, or just getting into the roll ons a bit quicker/harder. I just dont want to create a total wheelie machine. I do get into the twisties a bit, so also dont want to gear it so that it will stand up on me coming out of the turns. Also will gearing it down affect the way it decelerates when you roll off the throttle?

I don't ride curves aggressively so I can't answer any of your questions related to that...I used the 16/42 setup for the 1/8th track as well as the street...I'm a straightliner...With this setup yeah the bike is more responsive and the power comes on quicker...Like NE stated you will need to add a yellow box cause it will effect your speedometer although that was not an issue with me...Can you control the wheelies...Yeah, shouldn't be and issue you can control them and it will come up when you call on it...

Hey ZUK I was just thinking the same thing, since i recently came across a good buy on a 42T vortex chromed sprocket. As for 16T it will give you more power/aggressiveness where you want it in the lower gears. As for the bike coming up --drop the front end with spacers or a new tree

I have used a 16/(Stock Rear) setup now for over a year... I not a completely aggressive driver, although the speedo was reading 184 yesterday  
wow.gif

I haven't ever done a wheelie... It will go with as much as you give it... When I get on it in first gear hard WOT... It will lift the front off the ground a few inches and I don't think it comes down until 3rd...
wow.gif
(Not sure if I get off before it comes down or not, I will test next time)

I had my brother on it and he is 150 pds; I am 185pds. We were both on the bike and I gently started off and then I had it WOT half way into first gear... another
wow.gif
 But guess what, the front still only came off the ground a few inches under WOT. The speedo read 160MPH before I let off that day... (stupid; maybe)

I think you will like it... It does not make the throttle sensitive enough for you to do random wheelies and I know that is what you are thinking... In fact, I am know so used to the setup with my pipe,PC,filter, etc... that I am now thinking of the next steps to get more out of my ride. When is enough ever enough?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I am running 33MPG with the setup on the average and speedo is WAY off without a speedohealer, although I don't really care much.

There you have it... my 2 cents.

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089661526 -->

wow.gif

wow.gif

thanks for the comments, I think I'm gonna go to a 16/40 setup and get a speedo healer. After seeing Juggler's setup with his speado healer, I'm hooked
biggrin.gif

Hey Dezzy, got a 16t in your collection of pieces parts you wouldnt mind selling on the cheap? Also, how's your day looking to swing by tomorrow afternoon to help me with the HID install? What kinda switch do I need to go buy at radio shack for the install?

Hey Zuk I've got a 16T in the garage I can swing by and drop it off tomorrow ...what time are you gonna be home. I should be free after 2 or so

By the way do you have the socket to remove your sprocket nut??? if not let me know and i will bring my tools as well as the impact wrench ( it makes taking it off a heck of a lot easier)

I'll be working from home tomorrow, so I should be around. I have meetings all day, probably wrap it up around 230p. Think you can help me put that thing on (maybe just as a managerial role
wink.gif
)? I've gotta issue with my current setup, might get ya to take a look if you have time.

um, dunno, havent even looked yet.....if you have a tool that will do it, I'd say bring it along
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

No problem i will bring over the tool bag and sprocket. You might wasnt to go ahead and take the front fairing off tonight and then we can just work through putting the HID in place... Are you going to make it a switched setup
rock.gif
If so I will check to see if radio shack has the relay.... As for the cost of the sprocket you can just treat me to lunch
biggrin.gif

sounds like a plan to me....and yeah I wanna make it switched like you had yours. Figure I'll run HI beams during the day and switch over to the HID when its dark out. I usually run HI beams during the day anyway.

I'll try to strip the bike down when I get home tonight, sounds like a good thunder storm is brewing right now
sad.gif

I was using 16/42 at the dragon this spring. My feeling is that the bike is no more likely to wheelie than it is with stock gearing it just changes the speed where it does it. I went back to the stock 40t rear because it was costing me MPH at the big end at the strip and some fuel economy on the hiway. Yellow box or speedo healer is need either way you go. I think you need to try it both ways and see what works for you.

sweet, thanks for the info Hooken, you heading up to the gap this fall with us? Sept 18-19 is the weekend we are shooting for.

I gota miss that Sept 18-19 date. I was thinking about mid October but thats not for sure.
I sure hope we can get together out there next spring. I will be there then for sure no matter where its. Make it Deals Gap its a great place.
Good luck on that gear change as with any performance mod its a trade off.

Zuk,
You should have asked to ride my bike this weekend. That way you could have felt how the 16T feels. LOSER!

sorry man, I would love to give it a ride, but ya know askin to ride a guy's bike is like askin to dance with his woman
wink.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

but if you are offerin
wink.gif
I'll take ya up on it
cool.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

there you go zukracer, never heard it said better. If someone asked to ride my bike unless it was my best friend, I would probably politely say no due to insurance reasons I am unable to let anyone other than me on the bike(that sounds polite right?) and then when he left id get that what the fuc$ was he thinking look on my face... then id go ask him to dance with his girlfriend and expect the same.. lol

Back