16/39 vs. 17/42

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I was looking through Brock's site and noticed there is a Busa for sale with a 16/39 setup. From what I have been told, every tooth down in the front is equal to 3 teeth up in the rear.

By my calculations, the 16/39 would be the same as a 17/42 setup. So why change 2 sprockets when you can get the same gearing by changing 1?

CLICK TO SEE BIKE

bump
lurk.gif
all_coholic.gif

not the same,but close

16-39 = 2.437
17-42 = 2.470

probably to get max w/b with stock chain,thats my guess

(psycobusa @ Nov. 04 2006,23:35) 16/39 is less weight and rolling mass as well

although technically true...I think a 520 conversion would resolve that better than a sprocket change-up.

well.... the MOST likely answer is as I see it .....
wink.gif

(using a schnitz perspective)
that combination gives the grunt of the 17/42 but allows you to get the maximum length out of the stock swingarm....gettng the adjusters nearly all the way to the rear....yet maintaining it's stock wheelbase...just as any dragracer would want.

(Spigga @ Nov. 04 2006,16:58) I was looking through Brock's site and noticed there is a Busa for sale with a 16/39 setup. From what I have been told, every tooth down in the front is equal to 3 teeth up in the rear.

By my calculations, the 16/39 would be the same as a 17/42 setup. So why change 2 sprockets when you can get the same gearing by changing 1?

CLICK TO SEE BIKE
I might be a little dumb, but my thinking is with the 17/42 you only need to buy and change 1 sprocket. The only reason i can think of is now he can claim totally custom gearing...

Just my 0.02...

I plan to do the 17/42 gearing for 3 reasons:
1 - lower gearing (ok, that's obvious)
2 - only the rear sprocket to change
3 - this reduces the wheelbase, thereby giving better turning response (the opposite of what a drag racer would want, or need).

(FalconTamer @ Nov. 05 2006,12:53) 3 - this reduces the wheelbase, thereby giving better turning response (the opposite of what a drag racer would want, or need).
This is the best advantage, in my opinion, making the 42T rear the best bang for the buck mod.

Back