1397 Big Bore Kit

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
All,
A few of us are getting together this winter to do the HP mods for the spring... I am going to be doing the 1397 big bore and of course I want the most output for the money...

Here is what I am thinking so far...

Go with the APE Block/Pistons exchange for $835. Pick up the head gaskets and such for an extra $100 or so... This should give me around 15-20HP from what I have been reading, but no where near what I could be getting if I had head work done... hayabusazone has a race head exchange for 1200, but I am wondering if I can have the head modifications done cheaper here locally using my own head...

Questions...

1. What type of head work should I get done to get the most out of my 1397 setup.
2. Any reliability issues I should expect?
3. I want to tour this bike when I feel like it so I would like to keep it VERY streetable as well.
4. What should I anticipate gas mileage to be after the big bore upgrade. I want to make sure I am getting more then 100 miles to the tank...
biggrin.gif
There are gas stations at times more then $100 miles apart when you are touring... ;)

Any other recommendations/suggestions? This is my first big bore kit, so I am kind of blind here on what to expect afterwards...

Cloud

You will bhe fine on gas. Even on Turo I get 20 low and 35 high x 5+ gallons.

Biggest reliability is starting the bike. Make sure you set oup a double battery or a booster battery.

Be very careful on the tunning. I have seen large block mottors that give out less hp if not set right. Ask one of our tunners wht they suggest.

1)Headwork, try Carpenter Racing

You will need a stronger battery YTZ14S,high volume oil pump,heavy duty clutch spring, extra fan to cool,etc

Gas mileage will be less when you have more HP

Back