Upgrade or new bike?

keys

Registered
The search engine is down right now so I must post a new topic. I have a 05 Busa which is completly stock other than cosmetics. Should I buy a new bike or go for a 1397 big bore kit, pipe, filter, and brake upgrade? Also, how much HP does a 1397 kit make? For those who have a 1397 kit, what combonation did you use to get your HP numbers. I ride quite a bit so it needs to be reliable also.

NO MUSS, NO FUSS, go for the NEW BIKE  
thumb_up.gif

I was feeling the same way about my 04'Busa a few months ago.  I realized i wanted another bike. Finding a replacement was another problem altogether.

After searching and searching, i couldn't find a do it all one bike for me, other than the Kawi ZRX. Being that i wanted fuel injection that ruled the ZRX out.

Sport touring, cruiser, chopper?  The new Concours came real close to winning but i couldn't replace a my customized Busa with just the connie.  I was stumped for a week or two till i heard myself talking to another rider one day. I was saying to him how i was ready for something else but i wasn't sure what. And that the only option that possibly would do it for me would be a turbo Busa.  

After realizing what i just said things made perfect sense. I didn't need another bike, i wanted a performance upgrade. A turbo Busa.    

Point being is not to rush your decision and to let the right choice happen. It will.

The 1397 is a great upgrade. Do yourself a favor if you do this. Get a street kit and spend the extra dough and get a ported head with some matched cams.

This could go a lot of different ways! What exactly are you looking for this thing to do? I am assuming since your 05 is bone stock that you really don't want to fuss with all the tuning and special care a Turbo or Big Bore might require. For the money you won't be able to touch an 08! You simply cannot duplicate the 20+hp and radial brakes and new forks for the cost difference between what you could get out of your 05 and the purchase price of an 08. Just for the sake of conversation say you wanted to spend $4k. For that you could get a decent exhaust/PC/airbox mod/short stacks and maybe cams for say $1800 or so plus labor. Add a nice set of aftermarket wheels and a nice set of rotors and brake upgrades and you would be there! In the end you would wind up with a real nice 05 that would be dead reliable, that weighed about 30lbs (or so) less than an 08 and made marginally lower peak power but I presume you would have the faster bike. This is a decision Sport Bike owners have been living with for as long as there have been motorcycles. Every year something comes out that is faster or better braking or better suspension or has the latest gadgets. In the end you have to decide what is most important? If you just want to turn the key and go, I would just buy an 08.

Bikes are still toys to me, so whenever I feel the urge I'm quick to sell one and buy another (so long as it makes decent enough financial sense). I love my Busa, and will have it for awhile, but other bikes that tempt me include:

Ducati Multistrada
Ducati Hypermotard
Triumph Speed Triple
Triumph Thruxton (can't really explain this one, I just think it looks so classic)
Yamaha R6 (only the Raven edition does it for me)

I don't even care about cars anymore.

Anyone can buy new. FYI, a well done 1397 is a set and forget deal. Mine has been excellent and very streetworthy.

Thanks for all the imput. I really like the 2008, the hump is growing on me also. I went to the suzuki dealer today to see when the 08 will arrive. I was told next week so maybe I'll go shopping. But how do I part from her?

100_0419__Medium_.JPG

I would suggest buying new if you want a dependable faster Bus. If your going to make the Bus you have now faster, I would suggest getting another bike to roll around. Because you may not have enough time before the weekend to finish up an install,trouble shoot, correct a minor or major problem and lower gas mileage as with any project bike.

I was feeling the same way about my 04'Busa a few months ago.  I realized i wanted another bike. Finding a replacement was another problem altogether.

After searching and searching, i couldn't find a do it all one bike for me, other than the Kawi ZRX. Being that i wanted fuel injection that ruled the ZRX out.

Sport touring, cruiser, chopper?  The new Concours came real close to winning but i couldn't replace a my customized Busa with just the connie.  I was stumped for a week or two till i heard myself talking to another rider one day. I was saying to him how i was ready for something else but i wasn't sure what. And that the only option that possibly would do it for me would be a turbo Busa.  

After realizing what i just said things made perfect sense. I didn't need another bike, i wanted a performance upgrade. A turbo Busa.    

Point being is not to rush your decision and to let the right choice happen. It will.

The 1397 is a great upgrade. Do yourself a favor if you do this. Get a street kit and spend the extra dough and get a ported head with some matched cams.
My other bike is a ZRX, a black '01 (only year for black).

The bike carbureted very well from the factory, carbureted even better (and made about 18 more HP and 10 lbs more torque!) after Muzzy pipe and Ivan's jet kit. I wouldn't worry about needing fuel injection...

For stop and go riding, you can't beat the ZRX; you are upright, have a lot of steering leverage through the wide 'bars making for a light touch, and torque right off the bottom that isn't far from a 'busa.

They are cheap and plentiful. There are even more mods possible than with the 'busa (admittedly, it is not a high-end bike like the 'busa). With a premium shock and gold valved fork, they handle very well. I personally am faster on slow tight roads on the 'rex than I am on the 'busa.

Plus, you have an owner's website that may be even more information packed than this one. A lot of the ZRX owner's also own 'busas.

If you have any questions about the 'rex, feel free to PM me...

Blue1

Back