13 year old girl handcuffed to bus in florida

Maybe if more people made their children responsible for their actions then the LEO wouldn't have to. If one of my kids acted that way to a LEO, being handcuffed by the officer would be the least of their worries. You make mistakes as a kid and a adult for that matter, by be a man about it and take responsibility for your actions. The parents should be more worried about why their daughter stood up and started shouting at the officer, but of course she did absolutly nothing wrong at all. Just my thoughts
I agree!

If you show a lack of respect for the authorities, and you're trying to look like a badass to impress your friends, then you deserve whatever you get.  No matter how young/old you are.
tounge.gif
as a child there is no excuse for disrespecting the law. This is the exact problem with todays youths, they need to be taught a good lesson but unfortunately by 13 it is too late. The parents are the ones responsible for the lack of respect. I wish more people whipped their kids. I don't mean beat them into submisson but todays society does not have enough punishment for children and that is why they are so disrespectful and have no remorse for their actions because M&D will bail them out.

My Dad always told me don't waste your phone call on me because I won't come get you, That sticks in a childs mind Also the belt clearing the belt loops does wonders Too.

Until you have been in the situation you really shouldnt comment.... How many of you have the luxury of a long time to make daily work decisions, most law enforcement have seconds or just minutes to create a plan.... Unless you were there its difficult to answer what should have been done... For those that think that you should call someone else or send them to juvenile hall you might be watching too much friggin TV. Often times you cant get anyone to take the juvenile or there is no one to call, you are 911....... Often times you have to go with your experiences, 9 out of 10 times in the same situation in that neighborhood the kids might be agressive and have in the past hurt someone... You saw the one in ten, the officer did what he felt was necessary. I would suggest to all of you that find law enforcement so easy to arm chair quarter back to look into the reserve program in your local area.

I have found it amazing how folks think they have all the answers when it comes to how to handle a law enforcement situation but they would never second guess a firefighter on how he handles a house fire or a paramedic who is starting an IV. Maybe folks are disillusioned by what they think they know about law enforcement.

Remember there is always more to the story than the media lets out.

Cap
I agree with your Cap. The one time the officer just lets the kid do whatever they want and think "it is just a kid" is the one that stabs them or tries to run. When you have someone in front of you acting like an idiot unless you have been in that situiation you have no right to judge them. How many of you have heard of a Continum of Force? Police officers are trained to handle a suspect by their body language, tone of their voice, and aggresiveness, NOT their age. If someone is acting threatning or aggressive towards a Police Officer like Cap said, they have seconds to react. Before you start casting stones try a ride along with a Cop in your city and see what they go through.

wasn't there cant judge his actions but if he felt like he should cuff her to regain control of the situation so be it kids or not given the amount of them around still could have been a problem for him
rock.gif
you also must understand people are cuffed for there protection as well as the officers

I dissagree with Cap when he says if you haven't been in the situation you shouldn't comment.  Of course we can comment, its our hard earned freedom earned by our fathers and mothers and maintained by our brothers and sisters in the military.

From reading the article it sounds like the cop went into the bus and most of the kids started yelling at him and confronting him.  Like a mob.  It appears from reading the article he selected one child in particular, most likely the most obnoxious, and cuffed her so everyone would get the point and sit down and shut-up!  It sounds like from that article that the kids were obstructing justice and by cuffing one of them he restored order and found the child guilty of the crime.

That is perfectly OK with me, good job to the cop.

Now if it didn't happen like that and/or he was too physical with her.  Then that's a different story.  

Just watched the video, didn't see the link the first time,

The video sucked and kept rebuffering on me.  But it looks like he was asking questions, and the kids were mouthing off.  I think he didn't have to cuff the girl but I didn't see a reason for him not to either.  She definately didn't cooperate and when he told her to put her arms behind her back she continued fighting him until the cuff's were on.

I would lean with the cop on this one, though I think it could have been better handled.  I didn't see any brutality, just putting cuffs on someone resisting.

I feel no sympathy for girl.  She appeared to be crying as he led her down the isle in cuffs, no longer mouthing off, I bet she'll think twice before doing that again.

She should've kept her mouth shut.  If the cop was saying inapprioate things, they should have reported him afterwards.  A bus driver and bus full of kids are plenty of witnesses.

The parents should be shamed knowing their daughter mouthed off a cop for no apparant reason. And of course I'm sure that's the reason the daughter is so dissrespectful.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135107188 -->

Use of handcuffs has to be justified in court in the UK. Mouthing off to LEO is illegal and it is Public order offence which you can be arrested for if you don't abide by the warning from the officer in the first instance, at least you get a chance to apologise in this country (for those people that did'nt know about it.) Most people do know, and get nicked anyway...

As for the thirteen year old, the kids these days are growing up more and more disrespectful becuause of the lack of discipline they are receiving from the parents and teachers at school (all to do with Bullying etc.....)

Heck.....I think the hand cuffs were a good idea. We need a little more stuff like that going on in today's society. The cops didn't hurt the girl or anything. You can't even discipline a child today without getting into trouble for abuse. That is rediculous. That is one of the reasons crime and stuff is so high.....cause they know that there isn't anything the law can or will do, and they had no discipline as a child.
wink.gif
It seems to echo around the members here... There just no excuse..

Had the same problem with an eleven yr old who tried to stab a shop assistant, she stopped him from nicking a Jacket and he went berzerk because she grabbed hold of him as he was running out of the door, and he wanted to press charges for assault..Mum, solicitors and all the others involved. Needless to say nothing came of his allegation against the shop assistant and he got done for theft.....even tried to kick me when I get arrived...Big mistake, I just swept his feet from where he was standing put him on his Ar*e and cuffed him with junior cuffs (another good idea) and carried him out to the van in full view of everyone in the shopping mall as he was screaming his head off. Still people shouted at me to let go of him, another chap tried to get involved and got arrested for obstruction as well. Didn't even know the young lad..(guess wht the guy did for a living?....Social worker) what a joke...!!!

Let me rephrase to where its not so black and white..... Charlesbusa you absolutely have the right as a citizen to speak your mind, however that doesnt mean you have to.

When I was LEO I had this same problem with city council members. I used to invite them to ride with me for one single night and let them see first hand what happens during an 8 hour shift. I never had another complaint after they rode with me.

I'm in the boat that if my kid acted that way then they should be restrained and then deal with me when I get them.

I too missed the video link, I just watched it now. I have an eleven year old daughter and if she were that disrespectful and uncooperative to a police officer I would expect him to contain her. The father said he was outraged about what happened, well so I am. I am outraged that he has raised his children to be so direspectful not only to adults be to authority figrues.

The father will countinue to be " Outraged " untill he get's a BIG FAT check from the city.

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135112671 -->

Just because parents can't or more correctly won't raise their kids to respect their elders, much less the authorities, people shouldn't get all worked up when law enforcement is forced to teach them some respect. The Leo never knows what he/she is walking into. Anyone can have a gun, knife, bomb, etc... These days, when teens come to school packing assault rifles, you can never be too careful. If the Leo made the split decision to cuff the kid to take control of the situation, then so be it. Did anyone die or was someones pride bruised (parents that is)?
rock.gif

yes it isilegal to be direspectful its called obstruction of justice (i think it is bs though)
no it is not...you can say anything you want that is not threatening.
in the US, it's called the 1st Amendment...and even applies to your non-violent interactions with LEOs.
Video and witnesses would help. There are too many crooked and lying LEOs to respect them all (even one is too many). Give them as much respect as they offer you.
Whereas a minor should be detained and the parents asked to intervine.
I agree that every child is a direct product of the parenting provided....so stop sending kids to "timeout" and whip out the belt when necessary!
Our legal system has tainted every part of our "way of life".

Unfortunately, it's a price we pay as a race which reproduces indescriminantly.

"So you're tellin me I gotta have a license to go fishing in the ocean.....but there are no qualifiacations for having kids?"

BTW...how old is this story?

"The family has since moved out of the area?"

I see when the story was posted....but was it re-posted perhaps older?
That's one heckuva move-out!

It's funny while reading all of the posts here we all agree on the same thing but in different manners of speaking. that is why I love this site.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

The parents should be more worried about why their daughter stood up and started shouting at the officer, but of course she did absolutly nothing wrong at all. Just my thoughts
That is I think what more than likely got her removed from the bus...I of course do not know the whole story but what ever it is if I was to judge by the video it appears the kid was quit disrespectful...sure, she was all lawyered up on good morning amerika with katie this morning and on her best behaviour...In this day and age with all the negative attension giv'in to the cops trying to their job it is very rare I believe for the police to put themselves on front street...I mean, I know there are some terd cops out there but not as many as I think some would like to believe...The child was wrong...she refused to obey a law enforcement officer and regardless of the factors that started this ball roll'in she should have been taught at least enough respect for the officer at home until her parents could have been contacted concerning this matter...

Mouthing off to an officer can be obstruction of justice. If the officer is trying to regain order and someone is screaming and yelling they are enticing a riot or obstructing justice. You have to be swift and quick to defuse the situation. The officer made every right choice. How bad would it have looked if he tried taking her off the bus with no handcuffs kicking and screaming? This is the one of the exact reasons I am not a LEO anymore, that and the pay sucks for the BS you put up with. People and media assume and go to bat for however screams the loudest about unfair justice, normally the perp. This kind of thing may put the officer in a position down the road where he is afraid to act because of the BS that happend, and ends up getting stabbed by a 12yr old. Kids these days carry guns, knives, anything that can harm a person. They obviously have no respect for authority. Yes there are bad officers out there that let it get to there head, not as many as you all may think, think about how many officers are in your city, now multiply that by all the cities in the country. That's a heck of a lot of LEO's out there. One screws up (and hopefully pays for it) the rest of them get a bad image and get slack for it. You never hear about the student resource officer (SRO) that has helped hundreds of kids better them selves. But god forbid he is put in the situation this officer was, and he is deemed a horrible person. Anyone that disagrees please tell me how that officer should have handled the situation or better yet, how you would have done it. Remember your being watched every step of the way. I say thank that officer for controlling the situation and keeping order. And smack the living sh*t out of all the parents of the kids that were mouthing off.

Dave

Here is one of my favorites...... Compare your pay with the pay of your local sheriff or municipal PD officer... What level of employee could you hire at your company with the pay the officers get... Most cops do the job for the job not for the pay.... I havent seen too many LEO out there retiring early because they made it in mutual funds... Most cops retire on plan B so they can get enough to live on when they do retire....... If the job was that easy then anyone could do it.......

Lets not beat the officer up too bad and call for his job, I wonder what would happen if we allowed LEO to critique your performance at your work........ One strike and your out.... You would tell a cop to go back to what he knows and to not try to tell you how to treat customers, how to manage the warehouse or how to create a marketing campaign... At some point and time you have to just trust that your local police department has procedures in place to deal with those situations where an officer makes a mistake or could do it better.....

I keep thinking about glass houses.

CAp
CAp

<!--EDIT|captain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135128265 -->

Before I start;

I havent watched the video
I just heard a snippet on the radio about it.

But with that limited info...here's my take;

If it had been my girl...I'd shake the leo's hand, and my little girl would be in serious trouble.

RESPECT. A simple 7 letter word. Sounds to me like this kids parents neglected to teach her the basics of respect.

If the little shid mouthed off to the officer....CUFF HER! SCARE THE LIVIN' SHID OUT OF HER!!!

Absolute BS the way some kids are brought up these days.....just makes me sick.

Back