hero worship!

Lamb busa

50 warming to 70 again
Donating Member
Registered
In light of the latest fiasco with a top athlete of our time ( See the latest in golf, football, basketball, etc) it becomes necessary to reassess what a hero is. The field of play is the field of play and hero worship outside the field of play has become harder and harder to do. Holding any man or woman up on a pedestal outside their genre is becoming more and more personally irresponsible. However, just admiring their skills within their sport or work doesn't seem to be enough either. We all need role models of some sort. A way to differentiate between what we want to portray to the outside world and what we hold disdain for. Who are you a copy cat of? Do you look like you just got out of prison? who are you copying? Do you look like you just got out of Harvard? Who are you copying? The way we act and dress and respond to people is all learned. Who have you learned to respond from?

Lamb's personal role model is a man who has lived forever and will continue to live forever, there is practically no doubt that he will outlive Lamb himself. Although role models are independent of one another. Business role models, parental, sport, entertainment, friends etc.. They all have one thing in common, they do things that are admirable, without, what appears to be, effort. It is a theme that Lamb has noticed over the years. That being said may Lamb introduce again, the role model for the ages and some accomplishments. Use role models for what they are. A mentor with which to lead your life. Don't put them on a pedestal, but incorporate them into your life, enriching it and improving it.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jack LaLanne, "The Godfather of Fitness" is America's #1 physical fitness expert and guru, and is credited for changing the world of health, fitness, exercise, and nutrition forever. Some of Jack LaLanne’s pioneering achievements include:

•The 1st to open a modern health spa
•The 1st to have a nationally syndicated exercise show on TV
•The 1st to have athletes working out with weights
•The 1st to have women working out with weights
•The 1st to have the elderly working out with weights
•The 1st to have a combination Health Food Bar and Gym
•The 1st to have a weight loss instant breakfast meal replacement drink
•The 1st to have a coed health club
•The 1st to combine weight training with nutrition
•The 1st to have an edible snack nutrition bar
•The 1st to sell vitamins and exercise equipment on TV
•The 1st to teach scientific body building by changing the program every 2-3 weeks
•The 1st to encourage the physically challenged to exercise by working around their disabilities.
•The 1st to do feats of strength and endurance to emphasize what exercise and nutrition can do for you.
•Jack developed the 1st:
◦Leg Extension Machine
◦Weight Selector Machine
◦Cable / Pulley Machines
◦Calf Machines
◦Wrist Roll Machines
◦Smith Machine
Jack LaLanne Timeline
Year Age
Feats & Accomplishments

Jack swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, CA, underwater with 140 pounds of equipment, including air tanks – A world record.

Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco while handcuffed.

Jack set a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes 50 seconds.

Jack swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500 point cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned the one-mile swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles.

Jack maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile trip took 9.5 hours.

Jack did 1,000 star jumps and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes. His well-known white German shepherd, Happy, was born this year, the same year The Jack LaLanne Show went nationwide.

For the second time, Jack swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound boat.

Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, Jack again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000 pound boat.

To commemorate the "Spirit of 76" United States Bicentennial, Jack swam one mile in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats, representing the 13 original colonies, containing a total of 76 people.

Jack towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.

Jack towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile in less than one hour.

Once again handcuffed and shackled, Jack fought strong winds and currents as he swam 1.5 miles while towing 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.

Jack received the Academy of Body Building and Fitness Award

Jack received the State of California Governor's Council on Physical Fitness Lifetime Achievement Award.

Jack received the Dwight D. Eisenhower Fitness Award.

Jack received the Spirit of Muscle Beach Award

Jack received a star on the Hollywood Boulevard Walk of Fame

Jack celebrated his 90th birthday in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles as ESPN Classic ran a 24-hour marathon of the original Jack LaLanne television shows.

Jack became the official spokesperson for Covenant Reliance Producers, LLC, a Financial Marketing Organization based in Nashville, TN.

Jack received the Jack Webb Award from the Los Angeles Police Department Historical Society, the Arnold Classic Lifetime Achievement Award, Interglobal's International Infomercial Award, the Freddie, and the Medical Media Public Service Award, and he was a Free Spirit honoree at Al Neuharth's Freedom Forum.

Jack launches the Jack LaLanne Health Community for the benefit of all.

Jack is currently 95 years young

jack lalanne.jpg

jack lalanne 1.jpg

hey you left of the "Juicer" :)

I remember watching his show as a kid... the tights were a bit much.. :laugh: I bet he made less in his entire lifetime than the other guy made in 1 year...

hey you left of the "Juicer" :)

I remember watching his show as a kid... the tights were a bit much.. :laugh: I bet he made less in his entire lifetime than the other guy made in 1 year...

Yeah but he never had to take a 9 iron to the skull either. :laugh:
Or get investigated for 3 days by FHP for knocking over a hydrant :laugh:

I remember watching Jack in the mornings when I was just a tot. I have many role models in my life. The thing is all role models are like us; human. So just like us we screw the pooch from time to time, but we pick ourselves up, dust off the pants, and get on with life.

Happy New Year Lamb

Jack set the standards other only copy now. Grew up with him on TV doing the exercises with my mom and have keep after it ever since.

Great post!

Happy New Years Lamb!!!

Jack LaLanne has always been quick with a quip. Here are just a few of his many "LaLannisms":
At any age, you can still change your life and improve your life.
You have to work at living.
This body was made for activity. You have to use it.
You only have to exercise for 30 minutes but you have to do it vigorously, change your routine after each month.
Age isn't the killer, inactivity is the killer.
If man made it, don't eat it! (stick to natural foods).
The only thing good about the donut is the hole in the middle.
Your waistline is your lifeline.
Put your muscle where your mouth is (Just do it).
Do - don't stew.
First we inspire them, then we perspire them.
I can't die, it would ruin my image.
Exercise is king; nutrition is queen. Put 'em together and you've got a kingdom!
Circuit training is terrific and work one group of muscles and you go to another group of muscle to work all the muscles in the body. You have 640 muscles and they all need their share of work.

Jack turned me around. I was an athlete in my teens, did a lot of fencing etc. But 10 years behind a desk in a
conv hospital, drinking, smoking. One day I ran just a few steps
and it took forever to get my wind back, and my pulse down to normal. I heard Jack
talking about: "you will always feel better if you eat foods in their natural state." "If
your sick, work at being healthy, and if your healthy, work at being healthy." etc
So out went the booze and the smokeing, bought a stationary bike, weights (when I wuz 34
back in '74). Never gave up, never felt better in my life. almost 70, still a hoon.:laugh:
Wish I could thank him in person...

Last edited:
Good stuff! Jack has some amazing accomplishments, and definitely makes for a great role model for health & well being! :beerchug:

Sorry...but Tiger will always to some degree be my biggest role model. I have and will remain to base it on how mentally strong he is in competition. How great of a closer he is and when he has the lead, he strives to make it even larger, even getting slightly upset when missing an opportunity w/ a 10 shot lead. These are all traits I admire and reflect on about him to use as my role model.
Not to mention he has brought countless hours of personal time to spend & enjoy w/ my Dad who thoroughly enjoys watching Tiger with me try to beat Jack Nicklaus's records. And my Dad doesn't even play golf!
Sure he screwed the pooch w/ this whole cheating thing, but his personal life is not my business.
I'm not so quick to dismiss & judge someone for their personal indiscretions as others. We all are guilty of making mistakes along the way in life. To each their own.

Role models aint any atheletes or stars- the real heros include the 343 FDNY and their co-workers [ie;PD EMS and PAPD] murdered on 9-11. Not a$$o's like tiger, diddy and rosie.

Jack sounds like an overachiever :rofl: :p

Happy New Year Lamb...sure do miss your numerous birthdays :laugh:

know whatcher say'in...i've been upset ever since lou dobbs left cnn.

but i hear rumors he's runn'in for pres. election next term..:please:

Back