Our 5 year old dropped our 8 year old

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
So, Makayla, our 8 year old watches this cartoon where these three girls are martial arts experts and combine "fire," "earth" and "water" to become super heros....Oh, boy...

Well, Kayla is not really all about fighting, and I had been working with her, as I do with all three of my girls, in self defense, but Kayla really wasn't very interested and eventually I stopped working with her. I don't want to force, you know?

Anyway, our middle daughter, the five year old, Allie, is totally a daddy's girl, and she loves working on her "fighting stance," punches, kicks, blocks, et cetera.

So, the story: The other night we are all hanging out downstairs, just spending some time together, and the girls are playing. All of the sudden Kayla runs over to Allie and goes, "Hey, Allie, let's fight!" She goes into this routine, almost a little kata. As she's doing this hong kong phuey thing she's going, "Earth! Fire! Water! Hi-ya!"

Allie stands there, staring at her, and of the sudden reaches out with her little fist and punches her sister right the frickin' throat! Kayla lurches, coughs, grabs her throat, and drops to her knees. Her eyes are watering and she goes, "Allie! You weren't supposed to hit me!"

I wasn't really laughing (not too hard anyway) until my precious little bundle of a five year old shakes her head in disgust, much like an admonishing adult would, and says, "You just don't know how to fight, Kayla..."

I couldn't help it. I laughed my butt off...

Anyway, I think she really meant to punch Kayla in the face, but ended up catching her in the throat...Oh, boy...

Jason, funny story. You must have your hands full with so many girls! I don't know if couldn't kept myself from just rolling on the floor.

Thats just funny. My 2 1/2 yr old does that stuff to my 5 yr old all the time. Our daughter hasn't started doing it yet (only 1 yr) but will soon. She also has the same name, just different spelling: Makaela.

Jason, funny story.  You must have your hands full with so many girls!  I don't know if couldn't kept myself from just rolling on the floor.
Aw, yeah. Kayla's already beginning to talk about different boys at school, wanting to hang out with a couple of her friends, and so forth. She likes these short little jean skirt things...and she is a beautiful girl to boot...Ahhhhh, drives me nuts...'cause I know I was a little perv as a little boy...there's gonna be some rought times ahead.
laugh.gif
Kayla's a good kid, though, for the most part anyway. I still can't imagine what it's going to be like with three girls at "that age..."

Thats just funny.  My 2 1/2 yr old does that stuff to my 5 yr old all the time.  Our daughter hasn't started doing it yet (only 1 yr) but will soon.  She also has the same name, just different spelling: Makaela.
laugh.gif
Yeah, it's a hoot, isn't it?!

Good choice on your daughter's name.
smile.gif

Be careful letting a younger sibling start "picking" on an older one who is physically incapable of defending against the attack. It can cause some serious self-esteem issues; it's really not a good thing. I'd reinforce to the older one that it's not that big of a deal and to the younger one, I'd reinforce the idea of brotherly/sisterly love despite the fact that the younger one can kick the older one's butt.

How to do that effectively is the real problem, however.

Granted, I'm no parent and never have been, never will be, so maybe I'm fulla shid!!!
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

Be careful letting a younger sibling start "picking" on an older one who is physically incapable of defending against the attack.  It can cause some serious self-esteem issues; it's really not a good thing.  I'd reinforce to the older one that it's not that big of a deal and to the younger one, I'd reinforce the idea of brotherly/sisterly love despite the fact that the younger one can kick the older one's butt.

How to do that effectively is the real problem, however.  

Granted, I'm no parent and never have been, never will be, so maybe I'm fulla shid!!!  
biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Wag,
Do you charge for couch time? I have some serious issues!

Just kidding, actually sounds like pretty good advice. I have ta say tho, those are some good looking kids that Jason's got - I would be very surprised if they grow up with self esteem issues.....
Good luck when they get older Jason! You'll need it.

Wag> trust me my 5 yr old can more than hold his own against kids his age, his little brother makes sure of that when he starts stuff with the older kids and my oldest bails him out. Its funny to watch at times but thankfully they are starting to quiet down with it all. My oldest just won't hit his younger brother unless they are playing. No self-esteem issues there.

Wag> trust me my 5 yr old can more than hold his own against kids his age, his little brother makes sure of that when he starts stuff with the older kids and my oldest bails him out.  Its funny to watch at times but thankfully they are starting to quiet down with it all.  My oldest just won't hit his younger brother unless they are playing.  No self-esteem issues there.
Fortunately, this is just the internet! All advice is worth exactly what was paid!
biggrin.gif

I had a coupld of friends who were, to strip it of all finesse, nerds and were terrorized by their younger, more physically adept siblings. Caused them all kinds of grief, partly because they are also roundly criticized by their parents for "letting" the younger ones harrass them. It just wasn't physically possible.

Lotsa mental and emotional trauma over that which is the only reason I mentioned it.

Anyhoo, those were some twisted parents in any case! I have no doubt you're parenting is far superior! In fact, most parents these days really are!

Carry on!

--Wag--

Back