My three year old's innocence

Busa_05

Busa Legend
Donating Member
Registered
My three year old, Makinzi, colored her wall with a red crayon tonight. When I went to get her and have her explain to me why she colored on her wall she looked at me with pure innocence, her heart breaking because she now knew daddy was upset with her, disappointed with her that she had been "naughty." She was looking at her "picture," then looked up at me started to cry. My heart broke into a million pieces when she said, "You don't like my drawing, daddy?" She said she drew me a picture and she wanted her wall to look beautiful.

Lori and I have been talking about re-painting some of the rooms. Kinzi was helping us out, I think, in her mind. She got an early start. I felt horrible putting her on a time out. Part of me says that I had to keep with the correctiveness of parenting, but nonetheless, I felt like a sh!t. After her time out was over she came and told me she was sorry for coloring on the wall. Man, parenting is hard sometimes.

My three year old, Makinzi, colored her wall with a red crayon tonight. When I went to get her and have her explain to me why she colored on her wall she looked at me with pure innocence, her heart breaking because she now knew daddy was upset with her, disappointed with her that she had been "naughty." She was looking at her "picture," then looked up at me started to cry. My heart broke into a million pieces when she said, "You don't like my drawing, daddy?" She said she drew me a picture and she wanted her wall to look beautiful.

Lori and I have been talking about re-painting some of the rooms. Kinzi was helping us out, I think, in her mind. She got an early start.  I felt horrible putting her on a time out. Part of me says that I had to keep with the correctiveness of parenting, but nonetheless, I felt like a sh!t. After her time out was over she came and told me she was sorry for coloring on the wall. Man, parenting is hard sometimes.
In 1991 while going through a divorce, my daughter's and I moved into an apartment here in Lakeland. My youngest was 2 and she did the same thing, she made a nice drawing for me on the wall in her room using crayons. I didn't have the heart to scold her for it. I never did anything with it, it was still there when I moved out a year later. She is now 16 and is quite an artist.
Maybe your daughter is also an artist.

Kev

that it can be....but she's only gonna benefit from it. And she'll have you to thank.
cool.gif

Lori and I have been talking about re-painting some of the rooms. Kinzi was helping us out, I think, in her mind. She got an early start.  I felt horrible putting her on a time out. Part of me says that I had to keep with the correctiveness of parenting, but nonetheless, I felt like a sh!t. After her time out was over she came and told me she was sorry for coloring on the wall. Man, parenting is hard sometimes.
In 1991 while going through a divorce, my daughter's and I moved into an apartment here in Lakeland. My youngest was 2 and she did the same thing, she made a nice drawing for me on the wall in her room using crayons. I didn't have the heart to scold her for it. I never did anything with it, it was still there when I moved out a year later. She is now 16 and is quite an artist.

Kev
Setting limits is hard. I guess my dilemma was that just last weekend she had gotten herself into trouble as she colored on our kitchen cabinets with an indelible marker (a sharpie) while Lori was at work and I was indisposed in the bathroom. Yes, she is the cutest one of the three and she is also the most naughty, by far
smile.gif
, of the three. She oft times uses her cuteness to wear down my defenses.
smile.gif

Letting the crayon be actually flashed through my mind when she told me why she did it. One of my friends did the exact same thing with his little boy. Anyway, you've just made me feel worse, Kev.
sad.gif
You're story was touching.
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Kev
Setting limits is hard. I guess my dilemma was that just last weekend she had gotten herself into trouble as she colored on our kitchen cabinets with an indelible marker (a sharpie) while Lori was at work and I was indisposed in the bathroom. Yes, she is the cutest one of the three and she is also the most naughty, by far
smile.gif
, of the three. She oft times uses her cuteness to wear down my defenses.
smile.gif

Letting the crayon be actually flashed through my mind when she told me why she did it. One of my friends did the exact same thing with his little boy. Anyway, you've just made me feel worse, Kev.  
sad.gif
 You're story was touching.
smile.gif
I didn't mean to make you feel bad, I probably should have done something, but going through a divorce at the time, all I was interested in was getting the kids, It's hard to discipline properly when you don't have a proper two parent family.

Kev

smile.gif

smile.gif

hehe, me and my wife cant' even let our little girl cry when she's supposed to be sleeping in the bed for more than 3 minutes before we get up and go get her.

My wife woulda done what you did, but I'da probably got her to copy it over to some paper before she "helped" me clean it off.. hehe

Either way,,, I guess mom and dad were right with all the it hurts me worse than you crap.. haha.

It's hard to discipline properly when you don't have a proper two parent family.
Yeah, Kev...man, I can't even imagine going through something like that.
I can relate,kinda,I'm a stepdad, and a Dad in a 4 parent family. Sheeit, sometimes even I'm confused as to who's responsible for what. Sometimes I think it would be easier on me if my stepson's Dad wasn't in the picture, but I knew it was a dangerous job when I took it.

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111376887 -->

I think Crayola makes a paint that turns your wall into a chalkboard. She could draw to her heart's content
smile.gif

Makinzi is a really cool name, btw. Where did it come from?
We picked out Allie Jo and Makinzi Lee for names for our girls when Lori was pregnant with our the middle one, which turned out to be Allie. She just looked like an Allie. When Kinz came along we knew we wanted to name her Makinzi, but we weren't sure on the spelling. We didn't want Makenzie, McKenzie, etc...so we spelled it Makinzi. Thanks for the compliment, we appreciate it. Kinz says "Hi..." and "thank you."
smile.gif

It's hard to discipline properly when you don't have a proper two parent family.
I can relate,kinda,I'm a stepdad, and a Dad in a 4 parent family. Sheeit, sometimes even I'm confused as to who's responsible for what. Sometimes I think it would be easier on me if my stepson's Dad wasn't in the picture, but I knew it was a dangerous job when I took it.
Our oldest is actually my step-daughter. I hear you completely. Her dad can really be a sh!t and she sometimes comes back from her weekends with him just messed up as can be. I mean mentally. He can really do a number on her, and I don't know why he does it. She sometimes doesn't want to go for her weekends. She's old enough now that Lori and I don't force her to go if she doesn't want to. We have her call him and tell him though. I think it's better that way. That way she is standing up for herself and he is hearing it from her, eventhough he turns it around and blames it on us; tells us that we are making her say those things, making her stay home...that kind of thing. I feel bad for him, in a way. She is just the greatest person, she lights up her class room at school, she is intelligent and caring. He is missing out on alot, but he just doesn't get it.

Our oldest is actually my step-daughter. I hear you completely. Her dad can really be a sh!t and she sometimes comes back from her weekends with him just messed up as can be. I mean mentally. He can really do a number on her, and I don't know why he does it. She sometimes doesn't want to go for her weekends. She's old enough now that Lori and I don't force her to go if she doesn't want to. We have her call him and tell him though. I think it's better that way. That way she is standing up for herself and he is hearing it from her, eventhough he turns it around and blames it on us; tells us that we are making her say those things, making her stay home...that kind of thing. I feel bad for him, in a way. She is just the greatest person, she lights up her class room at school, she is intelligent and caring. He is missing out on alot, but he just doesn't get it.
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Why are some parents so lame that they don't see how cool their own kids are? It's hard for someone not in the situation to understand, but it can be very frustrating to have to correct another adults mistakes without A) Talking bad about the parent, or B) taking it out on the kid. Oh well we can only try, right?

It's hard for someone not in the situation to understand, but it can be very frustrating to have to correct another adults mistakes without A) Talking bad about the parent, or B) taking it out on the kid. Oh well we can only try, right?
I agree whole heartedly! Sometimes I get so upset with her dad, but I have never said anything bad about the man in front of her. She might have overheard Lori and I talking at time, but I don't think so.

She went through a phase about maybe a year ago where I really saw the effect that something like that could have had on our relationship, because for that time her paternal father was her hero. He is still is somewhat, but he is such a loser...he was in jail for awhile for beating up his girlfriend. This occurred awhile back and Kayla was there for the weekend. She saw him get hauled away in cuffs, she at least heard the fight. I still don't know if she, god forbid, saw any of it. I'm certain that's why she didn't want to go to his place for awhile, and even now sometimes will tell us she doesn't want to go and will actually call him and tell him that she would rather stay with us, or do something she might have planned with her girlfriends for the weekend. He's in jail again now for failing to support. He doesn't see why he needs to pay support. He told Kayla that he had to go jail because "mommy wants my money." You know, that kind of thing.

As far as discipline, I discipline her just like allie and kinzi. I've been with her mom since Kayla was just turning two years old. She's no differnt that Allie or Kinzi. She a bit old now for "spanking," even if the situation servely warranted it, but when she was younger I still spanked, though only with my hand. Yeah, he blew up the first time he pried out of her that she was spanked on ocassion, and we had a "talk" about it. In the end he saw things my way. I feel for you. Like you said, if you haven't been in that situation...but I wouldn't want it any other way. Kayla is such a wonderful kid. She has her times. She went through a lying phase for awhile. She lied about everything from not doing homework to covering things up for her sisters...it got VERY trying...but she's awesome.

Take care Mr. Brown!
smile.gif

Jason

being a step dad is harder than being a dad sometimes, and i've done both. Toughest job on the planet is parenting! Also the most rewarding!

My son is still not old enough to hold crayons...
biggrin.gif

God knows what will be the state of the house when he learns to walk! He is pretty much of a brat at 6 months
wink.gif

Back