13 year old girl handcuffed to bus in florida

MJN said it right, "RESPECT".

We need to start making "minors" responsible for their actions. This slap on the wrist crap is for the birds. Most of this starts at home. I said this before, most of the people on this board are good, responsible parents. But... Most parents have become L.I.F.E. (Lazy Incompetent F*uc ups Expecting)some one or something else to raise their children. Teachers, TV, Playstation, X-Box, HBO Etc. Finger pointing morons.

There was a very similar situation here in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. The female "honor student" was trying to let another person (That the cops were arresting or questioning.) use her cell phone. Oh, how horrible....

Let the LEO's do their business, and keep your nose out of it. It's that simple.

1 child? Last time I looked there could be 30+ kids on a bus. 30 - 13 year olds VS 1 LEO isn't good odds for the LEO. He has to retain some sort of order and respect.

She stood up. He should have shot at her. That would have sat her back down quick. Then the cuffs wouldn't have been needed

How could he possibly know she wasn't packing and standing up to advance on him? Look at what kids do lately. That is not beyond a possibility

Thanks Guy's...........
I am so glad I'm not the only one that learned these things as a Child.
RESPECT!!!!!!!!
And I still carry it throught my Everyday Life!
Thank GOD!

Until you have been in the situation you really shouldnt comment.... How many of you have the luxury of a long time to make daily work decisions, most law enforcement have seconds or just minutes to create a plan.... Unless you were there its difficult to answer what should have been done... For those that think that you should call someone else or send them to juvenile hall you might be watching too much friggin TV. Often times you cant get anyone to take the juvenile or there is no one to call, you are 911....... Often times you have to go with your experiences, 9 out of 10 times in the same situation in that neighborhood the kids might be agressive and have in the past hurt someone... You saw the one in ten, the officer did what he felt was necessary. I would suggest to all of you that find law enforcement so easy to arm chair quarter back to look into the reserve program in your local area.

I have found it amazing how folks think they have all the answers when it comes to how to handle a law enforcement situation but they would never second guess a firefighter on how he handles a house fire or a paramedic who is starting an IV. Maybe folks are disillusioned by what they think they know about law enforcement.

Remember there is always more to the story than the media lets out.

Cap
Well said Cap. Best post I've seen in a loooong time. None of the folks who always slam the popo without knowing the facts have EVER been in their shoes, and likely COULDN'T fill those shoes. They'd definitely have to learn not to make their decisions based on one slanted side of the story, huh? There's always at least three sides to any story a cop gets. The sides of the two (or more) parties involved, and the truth. With the media there's always a lot more to it than what is reported... ALWAYS!

Fwiw, as a popo, any criticism I get from anyone who hasn't been where I've been, done what I've done, and seen what I've seen really makes no difference to me. I've come to expect knee jerk reactions based on biased media reports.
wink.gif

Mouthing off to an officer can be obstruction of justice. If the officer is trying to regain order and someone is screaming and yelling they are enticing a riot or obstructing justice. You have to be swift and quick to defuse the situation. The officer made every right choice. How bad would it have looked if he tried taking her off the bus with no handcuffs kicking and screaming? This is the one of the exact reasons I am not a LEO anymore, that and the pay sucks for the BS you put up with. ...
And it's the top reason why I keep asking myself why I stay in it.
wink.gif

Maybe if more people made their children responsible for their actions then the LEO wouldn't have to. If one of my kids acted that way to a LEO, being handcuffed by the officer would be the least of their worries. You make mistakes as a kid and a adult for that matter, by be a man about it and take responsibility for your actions. The parents should be more worried about why their daughter stood up and started shouting at the officer, but of course she did absolutly nothing wrong at all. Just my thoughts
I wish there were more parents like you out there!
beerchug.gif
People would be amazed at how many kids don't get taught respect and consequences/responsibility at home and end up dealing with the popo repeatedly later in life.

I arrested a 12 year old today for shoplifting from Wal Mart.  His cousin who is 9 was trying to steal something, but couldnt get it out of the package.  Also, it wasnt the first time the 12 year old has been busted for stealing.  Like Tree said, if minors were held accountable for their actions, maybe things would be a little better, or if parents actually did something about it that would help also.  The criminals are getting younger and younger, and i think its mostly due to lack of parenting.

<!--EDIT|BrianKesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135221523 -->

Back