1000 miles in 24 hours

scottybusa

Donating Member
Registered
Turns out my pics were junk............but I'll post them anyway. We started out heading north out of Longmont, Colorado..........it was supposed to be nice(we had checked the nexrad that morning and thought the weather cell that had been here would be moved east by then), but the weather in Cheyenne, Wyoming was horrible. We decided to head west instead of north and found ourselves in hard rain, and 37 degree weather...........standing water on the highway...etc. In Laramie, we found overcast, but dry weather and decided that west was indeed going to be the best bet. We hit blue skies just an hour west of Laramie and it was pretty smooth sailing from there. The winds were gusting so hard, I wore off one of my chicken strips!!! I was leaning into the wind most of the way across Wyoming!!!

This first pic is from somewhere in Wyoming. The bikes were the 'busa, a gixxer750, and a Kawa z1000.

P9050132t.JPG

my attempt at action shots, while riding on the highway, were junk...................

<!--EDIT|scottybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094575564 -->

P9050142t.JPG

This is the last one.............we rolled into Longmont again at 6:10am.............the reason the trip took longer than we had planned (we figured about 15 to 16 hours.........we took lots of breaks and had an enjoyable ride) was because we hadn't planned on this route and didn't take heavy winter gear....turns out it was near freezing on the mountain passes and we had to stop nearly every 30 minutes just to warm up. Had to leave the visor open as it would fog up!!! After soaking in the hottub for about an hour(and falling asleep in there twice) it was off to bed and time to recover. It was a great trip...............and now we get our "Iron Butt" awards!!!!

P9060148t.JPG

Congrats !! That was definitely during the Iron Butt the hard way, but you made it safe and sound. Thanks for the pics, they were too bad under the circumstances.

Congratulations on your SS1k. You are now one of the World's Toughest Riders, as well as being one of the fastest.

'Busas are reasonably represented in the ranks of long-distance riders, BTW, because -- I hate to say it -- it makes a very good sport-tourer.

My personal favorite is this one:

"February 6th…

...Steve announces he will be 'taking part in the world record attempt to finish in the largest group for the coast to coast to coast 100.' In Iron Butt terms this is the CCC Gold, also known as the 100CCC Insanity or simply the 100ccc. This ride is considered one of IBA’s extreme ride certifications. Riders have 50 hours to get from Jacksonville Florida to San Diego, California. Then they have 50 hours to get back..."

bdm.com

...and, yes, they did make it -- 2up -- here's the ride report:
http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/mtf/50cc/reports/glass03.htm

Congratulations on your SS1k. You are now one of the World's Toughest Riders, as well as being one of the fastest.

'Busas are reasonably represented in the ranks of long-distance riders, BTW, because -- I hate to say it -- it makes a very good sport-tourer.

My personal favorite is this one:

"February 6th…

...Steve announces he will be 'taking part in the world record attempt to finish in the largest group for the coast to coast to coast 100.' In Iron Butt terms this is the CCC Gold, also known as the 100CCC Insanity or simply the 100ccc. This ride is considered one of IBA’s extreme ride certifications. Riders have 50 hours to get from Jacksonville Florida to San Diego, California. Then they have 50 hours to get back..."

bdm.com

...and, yes, they did make it -- 2up -- here's the ride report:
http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/mtf/50cc/reports/glass03.htm
Sorry...But I could help myself...What is all that duct tape for???
evil.gif

I would love to take a ride this lenght/time...It wouldn't matter the amount of stops...Gonna do it next year...That's a goal...Your pics are fine you just need to stop holding your breath...If you don't your gonna die...
evil.gif

Sounds like a blast! I dunno about that 37 degree weather and wind gusts (I'm rally starting to dislike 'em now).

Definitely something I would like to do in the future.

Sounds like a blast! I dunno about that 37 degree weather and wind gusts (I'm rally starting to dislike 'em now).

Definitely something I would like to do in the future.
That's right pac.............I seem to remember something about wind gusts and dirt and wheelies being a bad combination in your neck of the woods!!!!!
AAAssjani.gif

right on the dot, Scotty bro....

Definitely something I would not want to happen again in the future...

Congrats on the SS1000

It never seems to turn out like you really expect.

I did the SS1000 2 years ago with my daughter, it is something I will never forget.

Live in the San Fran area, did the trip in May, before it got too hot.

Left about 5am and up thru the mountains there was still snow on the ground, about 40 degrees, yep we had to stop more than expected.
Thru Nevada, Reno area it began to rain, hard  
wow.gif
, yea not expected either, found out later that my daughter was asleep most of part in the rain.
She had set up her area with 2 places for water bottles, carried her CD player in her sweatshirt pocket, extra cds in the other pocket and figured a way to change on the go. Had her own snack pouch.

Thru the desert one of the planned gas stops had closed, we cruised into the next stop on fumes, but we made it.

Thru the majove desert we actually got stopped by a train, now that was different.

All was not bad, we cruised into Bakersfield (where my parents live) and had a great dinner and a 1.5 hr stop. Nobody cooks like mom  
smile.gif

Anyway we made it back home at about 1:00am. What a great day especially with my daughter.

Got my cert. hanging on the wall.

My daughter was 14 years old at the time.

Anyway, congrats on the ride.

Ride safe

...Sorry...But I could help myself...What is all that duct tape for???  
evil.gif
Michael ran powerlet plugs + wires for the electric gear that he and his passenger wore during the trip -- it got very cold in spots. He didn't have the time/patience to route the wires under the bodywork, so there you go.

He also was running some kind of intercom -- I think it was an AutoCom -- and that was off of the bike's 12v power also so it needed wiring. When he was done, he just pulled all of that crap off and went back to riding it normally.

From what I could tell, all of that cargo space was for the wide variety of clothing they needed for all of the different temperatures and precipitation they encountered, as well as a whole heap of snacks.

Congrats on the SS1000

It never seems to turn out like you really expect.

I did the SS1000 2 years ago with my daughter, it is something I will never forget.

Live in the San Fran area, did the trip in May, before it got too hot.

Left about 5am and up thru the mountains there was still snow on the ground, about 40 degrees, yep we had to stop more than expected.
Thru Nevada, Reno area it began to rain, hard  
wow.gif
, yea not expected either, found out later that my daughter was asleep most of part in the rain.
She had set up her area with 2 places for water bottles, carried her CD player in her sweatshirt pocket, extra cds in the other pocket and figured a way to change on the go. Had her own snack pouch.

Thru the desert one of the planned gas stops had closed, we cruised into the next stop on fumes, but we made it.

Thru the majove desert we actually got stopped by a train, now that was different.

All was not bad, we cruised into Bakersfield (where my parents live) and had a great dinner and a 1.5 hr stop. Nobody cooks like mom  
smile.gif

Anyway we made it back home at about 1:00am. What a great day especially with my daughter.

Got my cert. hanging on the wall.

My daughter was 14 years old at the time.

Anyway, congrats on the ride.

Ride safe
Great story!!!!! Thanks for posting it!!!!
smile.gif

smile.gif

I wouldn;t mind trying that 100ccc but i don;t think i'd need to load my bike down quit as much granted a fuel cell would be nice to have also i heard about i read about it on there site but i have lost the address to it can anyone post it again?

Back