1000 miles in 24 hours

Bronto

Registered
Last Sunday BMW rider and myself on the Busa road from Bay Area to Eugene, Oregon and back again. A thousand mile ride in twenty hours. A storm rolling into the region had rained for several hundred miles. All this for a IronButt SaddleSore 1000S certificate.
Route was Interstate Hwy 5 with long straights and long sweepers. In the mountains of Northern California and Southern Oregon became twisty believe it or not.
Starting early morning not much traffic. Reached Eugene around 12:30 pm. Rain increased as time went to very heavy down pours. Only did it stop on the way back across the State boarder.
Sparing you all the minute details. The gear was Kilimanjaro and Gortex gloves. Kept everything dry and relatively warm. Some mountain passes were temps dropped into the thirties. Only regret I didn't wear thermal pants, as I got cold cramps in upper legs.
Busa was comfortable the entire time, no aches or pains.
Adveraging 40 mpg was less then expected, must be from the extra wind drag. 45 mpg is usual on a freeway wearing less combersome jacket.
Traffic picked up as the day went on. Then dropped off once it got dark. Majority of traffic were just Semi Trucks.
The BMW rider wasn't one to speed so we plugged along with faster cager groups. Only when we were trying to get beyond the mountain passes before it got dark in the rain.
Long ride in miles and time, was getting less then focused. Don't get much deepth perception on a single tail light. I'm constantly adusting throttle. Watching the tail light slowly move left to right. It was getting down right hypnotic. At the next rest stop said, I'm dropping back so the tail light doesn't play tricks anymore.
During this time found myself like on a solo ride. BMW rider miles ahead. It's Dark, with moonlight shinning through sparse clouds. Long straight roadway with only large Ranches as only inhabitants. Traffic is reduced to few RVer's and semi trucks. Spaced miles apart, with clear road inbetween.
To keep thing interesting did some speed runs. Plugging along letting the BMW rider get way ahead again. Seeing how much wind drag the jacket was causing, thought of a new game
biggrin.gif

Semi-trucks are doing 70 mph even though speed limit is 55 mph for them. I'd catch up to one sit in other lane and match speed at it's rear bumber. Do a roll on and see how fast by time reached the front bumber. 6th gear roll-ons got to 100 mph. Decided to try getting the RPM up a bit dropped into 4th. Matched speed starting from rear bumber. Hand full of throttle and nice 110 mph by front of truck. A 40 mph difference within the length of a semi-truck. Caught up to next truck in no time. Did a 4th gear roll-on, yup 110 mph. But now caught up to the BMW rider again. So in the clearing dropped into third and WOTted it to sample acceleration. It's too much for my tired condition to mess around with 18 wheels inches away.
At some point my messing around, caught up to a Black Pickup truck. Must of noticed the Busa headlight come on fast from behind. Slowing to pass the pickup floors it. Staying few car lengths behind in another lane. Was just matching his speed not trying to race him. I see the BMW rider ahead so drop back. The pickup won hurry
biggrin.gif

Along the way, Rain hitting the road disguised pulverized mass of road kill Deer. Six pack of pepsi rolling around the road way and a Cinder Block. A car pulling a trailer of pumpkins stacked high. On bump away form tossing out several of them. Only one merging car didn't really see us pinned in the lane they merge onto in heavy rain. The only road hazards seen.
Saw few other motorcycles could count the number on two hands. Eaqual amount of sport, cruiser and touring bikes. On Goldwing with a Side car and pulling a trailer. All together was size of a Car.
Ride was finished 1am Monday. Wasted entire next day. No ache or pains, no worse for wear. Busa can do long hauls.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: "MPH is self incriminating :D"|1098621219 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

WOW! That's an iron a$$ ride. The most I have done is around 450 miles in a day. Nice work!

nice write-up man, sounds like a great trip.. im planning a little run for the florida keys should be about 1600 miles round trip..

Congrats on the certificate...............did mine about 2 months ago...............It's nice to see that noboby gets off easy!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Shoulda wrote about it before you made the trip! I would have met you up here in Eugene and bought you a deserved lunch! I went Eugene, OR to Denver, CO in Aug in 20 hours (straight ride, 1521 miles), and then back to Eugene in 19 hours after spending a day at Sturgis. Good times!
tounge.gif

I-5 can be beautiful up around Shasta & Dunsmuir ... twistie too. Cagers make it too scarey for me and I wish I could really pin it ... too many CHP I stay way away from from the 18 wheelers as I certainly dont want to see any road Gator's ( tire chunks ... ) Glad u made it safe ...
thumbs-up.gif

We had good lunch in Eugene at a Residencial 'locals' Cafe. Club Sandwitch and soup of the day. After ordering the soup of the day, waitress puts it on the chauk board 'Hamburger vegetable'. It was good stuff, freindly folk in Eugene.
Usual fair of Canyon carving. It's good to do some long distance. Nice to try something more relaxed with some site seeing involved. Not neccessarily certified tho.
Before the ride thought 1000 miles in 24 hours, no prob. We didn't waste any time, everywhere was purposeful and quick. Afterwards seeing wasn't much time to spare.
A thought Hwy 395 on the eastern Sierras From Las Vegas to Reno. Would make pefect Busa run. Combine it with number of routes to equal 1000 or 1500.

Sounds like an entertaining if somewhat Masochistic ride.

I Got caught up in Aspen In October at 8PM, had to ride to Colorado Springs that night. Independance pass in the dark 12000 feet, yeah it was cold... WAS a LONG COLD Miserable ride. It was also the last time I think I took an Actually hot Bath afterwords... I was frozen solid. Full perf leathers, summer gloves, Blue jeans... Was completely frozen, I can relate to the frozen legs and the hypnotic effects of following that single rear tail light. Sounds like a good time over all though...

Thanks for the ride report...

Rev

Back