08' speedometer accuracy

Iowadiver

Registered
I rode from Jax to orlando and back today (400 miles... wahoo) and had my GPS hooked up and noticed that my GPS speedo reading was slower than the bike read. when I was doing 100mph according the the bike, the GPS was saying 90mph. I know on my last bike (yamaha R6) the speedo was off because of a sprocket conversion, to which I installed a speedo healer that essentially overrode/recallibrated the speedo read out and it was always spot on with the GPS... then after some "great service" at a local Jacksonville dealership (PM if you want to know who) the speedo healer was cut out and it was back to being jacked up and I relied upon the GPS unit.... so after all this... is this a normal thing? I noticed that the slower I was going, the more accurate it was... pretty much 60mph or slower and it was almost the same. Any ideas?

(good thing I have a warranty)
-Matt

Reads ~8-12% fast, all years. Speedo-healer or the likes will fix this.

...speaking of warranty... Makes you wonder why they really built this error into the speedo.
rock.gif

Busa's always read high, surprisingly I was on a BMW over in Germany this summer and was using a high speed $10,000 GPS sensor we have at work for measuring stopping distance etc (very accurate) and the BMW speedo was within a mph or so at 130 mph.

My last bike (VFR) was the same way...they make you think you are going faster than you really are so you won't speed.
idea3.gif

This has always irked me. Always doing math in my head to figure out speed. Never used a speedo healer just might give it a try on this one, or wait until chain and sprocket change and go that route.

The tuning software I used on my Triumphs (Tuneboy) had an application to change to speedo correction factor easily. I wish Tuneboy would crack the Suzuki ECU and offer it. PCIII would shrivel up and die.

This has always irked me. Always doing math in my head to figure out speed. Never used a speedo healer just might give it a try on this one, or wait until chain and sprocket change and go that route.

The tuning software I used on my Triumphs (Tuneboy) had an application to change to speedo correction factor easily. I wish Tuneboy would crack the Suzuki ECU and offer it. PCIII would shrivel up and die.
Someone called Maj in the Australian Busa site http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com was trying to crack the Busa EFI with Tuneboy earlier this year (so I asssume it was a GenI) - is anyone a member so could email him?

My last bike (VFR) was the same way...they make you think you are going faster than you really are so you won't speed.  
idea3.gif
True.

What I DON'T like about it is that the odometer accumualtes mileage much quicker than if it was set to read correctly. That'll lower the value of the bike a bit if you ever decide to sell it.

I rode from Jax to orlando and back today (400 miles... wahoo) and had my GPS hooked up and noticed that my GPS speedo reading was slower than the bike read.  when I was doing 100mph according the the bike, the GPS was saying 90mph.  I know on my last bike (yamaha R6)  the speedo was off because of a sprocket conversion, to which I installed a speedo healer that essentially overrode/recallibrated the speedo read out and it was always spot on with the GPS... then after some "great service" at a local Jacksonville dealership (PM if you want to know who) the speedo healer was cut out and it was back to being jacked up and I relied upon the GPS unit....    so after all this... is this a normal thing?  I noticed that the slower I was going, the more accurate it was... pretty much 60mph or slower and it was almost the same.  Any ideas?

(good thing I have a warranty)
-Matt
All bikes are that way...sucks but thats life. Odo's are accurate but speedo's are off....they do it on purpose...not sure why tho
rock.gif

That really F---ing sucks... I should have torn the speedo healer out of my old bike before selling it... would have saved me $100... especially since the terrfic technicians at the un-named suzuki dealership had already disconnected it for me. Damn.

My experience has been they are linked... Speedo/odometer! If one is off the other will give false readings as well. If your local highways have mile markers you can test this theory and figure out just how much off your speedometer really is. Just zero them out and drive 3-5 miles stopping exactly at the mile marker... Won't take long to figure out how much its off.. I usually reset the trip odometer as well!

Back