First ride with GPS

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Got the Garmin 60CS about a month ago and today I finally put it on the bike to see how far off my speedometer is.

According to the speedo I was doing 90 MPH and the GPS says 83.3 max speed. Doing 45 to 50 by the speedo the GPS says I was doing about 2 to 3 MPH slower.

Is this about normal for the Busa or is my speedo way off?

The general consensus of opinion is about 7% off. That is where I adjusted my speedohealer to....sounds like yours is about right there.

Another thing to be careful of with a GPS is that they're not real good if you don't stay at a particular speed for awhile. I don't know what their sampling rate is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was seconds.

I believe that juggler is right about the lag. If I was to really get a top speed I'd try to stay there for a while, like 2-4 seconds to let the thing catch up with it's sampling.

make sure you're also NOT changing
altitude... the GPS tracks differences
in location to guestimate speed. if you were
to climb straight up for a mile, it would say
you're doing 0 MPH

Best way is to go out on the highway and time yourself in the areas where the state sets up mileage test. Most are 5 miles long and they are dead on for the mileage, do 60 right on the button and see what your time is. Then you know how far your off.

I believe that juggler is right about the lag. If I was to really get a top speed I'd try to stay there for a while, like 2-4 seconds to let the thing catch up with it's sampling.
I know the GPS has a couple second lag time. My cars speedo is almost dead-on, and as I slow down the GPS is only 1 to 2 seconds behind.

As I performed the test on my bike I kept the speed constant for about 5 to 7 seconds to make sure the GPS updated.

if you were
to climb straight up for a mile, it would say
you're doing 0 MPH
That would be a neat trick, climbing straight up. Maybe in a space shuttle
smile.gif

Back