Lets talk odometer readings vs gearing.

c10

Registered
So I have been tracking this for years on several models of bikes after gearing changes without using a ( speedo healer)
Example my 2014 gen 2. Stock gearing is 18/43, and with this gearing odometer was correct to gps. However with 19/43, and a 190/55/17 rear tire speedo was correct to GPS. Odometer was off by 5 miles per 100 miles traveled via GPS. As tire wear happens the millage was off by 4.6 miles per 100 miles traveled. Currently running 19/42 with 190/50/17 very worn tire. Here are photos for comparison.
Now I changed my bird @ 345 miles after new.
Approximately 990 miles do not show up on my odometer. Currently 22,616 shows.
Now if you have gone the other way in gearing say 17/44 you are going to be adding miles traveled to what was really traveled.
DSC_4380.JPG

DSC_4381.JPG

DSC_4382.JPG

I would notice that as well, never documented though. 16/43 would just click off tenths extremely fast. I would like to see the actual mileage traveled vs odometer!

I would notice that as well, never documented though. 16/43 would just click off tenths extremely fast. I would like to see the actual mileage traveled vs odometer!
Just throw a GPS app on your phone. Go ride 10 miles on GPS and compare to odometer. The multiply ✖ 10

Even with everything stock you will add 8% or so to your odometer, that is why the first thing I did was put a speed-o-healer on my Bird.
My gps matches my speedo and I can change it easy if anything else is changing. The added benefit is I touch the button by my clutch and it displays my top speed for the ride. ;<)

What's even funnier is to track the speed error at different speeds. At 160 mph my speedometer was over 12 mph off the GPS. Same speedo was off by 1 mph at 60 mph. I think above 140 mph or so it's anybody's guess frankly.

So, a speed healer is not going to help you if you want to know what your top speed is. It's almost like you need a healer that is corrects based on speed. Or maybe just go to a GPS speedometer and be done with it no matter what tire or gearing changes you make.

I heard cell phone's GPS sensors are less accurate than a GPS unit, is that true?

So lets back up a second 8% Bailey9r is a good round number as most bikes are 6 to 10% off of true speed readings however the odometer can not be off for many reasons . Resale / Taxes , and so on . Its been a long debated on many motorcycle forums WHY is the speed off . Our automobiles are not allowed this kind of error of 6 to 10%
Here is another frustrating thing . See that Fancy Garmin GPS on my bird that was 500 bucks . It flat sucks
Using a different GPS , and phone apps my speedometer is accurate on up to 180 plus were I have held it for a time to see . That new Garmin needs 15 to 20 seconds to capture a max speed . Do you really think I only went 85 mph max on a ride with my wife ;) I rocked a long sweeper @ 130 , and the GPS showed 130 MPH on the DISPLAY , so dd the BIRD , but the MAX speed was captured as 85 lmao . that 500 dollar pos has been updated 3 times now with zero improvements . My old car model Garmin would capture in 3 to 5 seconds .
The 396 Zumo LM is not what its cracked up to be .

Big B I see what your saying but the odometer is run off the speedometer and the legal wording to cover what your referring to is within "reasonably accurate" or some such mumbojumbo. Covers them from being sued from 100K depreciation on your 90K mile car.
Check it, go exactly 60 for an hour and see if your odo is 60 miles higher or just 52ish.

What's even funnier is to track the speed error at different speeds. At 160 mph my speedometer was over 12 mph off the GPS. Same speedo was off by 1 mph at 60 mph. I think above 140 mph or so it's anybody's guess frankly.

So, a speed healer is not going to help you if you want to know what your top speed is. It's almost like you need a healer that is corrects based on speed. Or maybe just go to a GPS speedometer and be done with it no matter what tire or gearing changes you make.

I heard cell phone's GPS sensors are less accurate than a GPS unit, is that true?

So from what I understand speedo healer adjusts by percentage. In your case @160 you were 7.5% off and a 60 should have been 4.5mph off but you were only 1mph off. My bike was off roughly the same percentage between 50-100 when I was testing.

Back