Speedometer v.s. GPS (?)

Salty

Registered
Hey everyone,
So I rode into work this afternoon from home and decided to try out my GPS for the first time on my bike today...I finished making the GPS mount for my triple tree yesterday evening and had not had a chance to get out with it until now...
(PICS TO COME LATER I KNOW THE :rulez:)

So I noticed while I was driving along the highway on my way into work that my Speedo and my GPS Speed were off by about 5-7 mph all the way up to about 80mph on the bike speedo...I did not drive any faster than that since 70mph was the posted speed on the highway and a ticket I need not...

I have the Magellan 1212 GPS Unit and it seems to be pretty decent for the $$$...In my car the GPS Speedo and the Car Speedo are typically dead accurate...

So whats going on???

Is the Hayabusa Speedometer really off by that much?

yep....The speedo is off by at least that much. I think there are some mods to correct that but my GPS works great.

yep....The speedo is off by at least that much. I think there are some mods to correct that but my GPS works great.

I guess this adds a +1 to my reasons for wanting to buy a Power Commander 3 table...

Unless their is a standalone Speedo Healer...

Had same issue on my 08. Have a garmin 450 gps.
Corrected it by installing a SpeedoHealer and adjusted to -7.3.

I think it a common problem seen on the Busa.

I guess this adds a +1 to my reasons for wanting to buy a Power Commander 3 table...

Unless their is a standalone Speedo Healer...

It is very much off. PC won't help you, but the SpeedoHealer will. You can use the GPS to make your adjustments and be all set.

It is very much off. PC won't help you, but the SpeedoHealer will. You can use the GPS to make your adjustments and be all set.

Right I recognize the PC wont help me alone, I need the Speedo Healer add on..but doesnt it plug into the PC in order to work? Or is it a standalone unit??

Stand alone unit, it plugs into the wiring harness on the left side and you store the brains of the unit under your back seat.
SpeedoHealer(SH) has a web site to look at gain more info.
But a very easy install and now my speedometer is right on.
Got mine from Pashnit.

OK So I already have the GIPro w/ATRE installed, does the SpeadoHealer install in the same place, with the GIPro installed can I attach the SpeadoHealer still, or do they hopefully install in two different places..from the diagrams in the pictures on the SH Company Web Site it looks as though they go in the same place...

OK So I already have the GIPro w/ATRE installed, does the SpeadoHealer install in the same place, with the GIPro installed can I attach the SpeadoHealer still, or do they hopefully install in two different places..from the diagrams in the pictures on the SH Company Web Site it looks as though they go in the same place...

Here's an install link: SpeedoHealer.com

So i got an email back from the designers of the GIPro and Speadohealer..no compatibility issues, they both install in seperate locations...so I can get mine ordered...

Now I just have to go visit Josh at Hills Specialties to pick one up...

This issue seems to come up a lot, so thanks for posting your test results. I would trust the GPS more than the speedo. But my question is, how does the speedo read, high or low? As in

HIGH - GPS says 50 but speedo says 56 mph. (bike is actually slower than speedo says)
LOW - GPS says 50 but speedo says 44 mph. (bike is actually faster than speedo says)

So which is it?

A more important question would by why has'nt Suzuki Fixed this issue yet?
Also if this is a known issue..shouldnt we be able to use this to fight tickets?

A more important question would by why has'nt Suzuki Fixed this issue yet?
Also if this is a known issue..shouldnt we be able to use this to fight tickets?

I'm not a cop but I don't believe they look at your speedometer to see if you're speeding or not. :moon:

Seriously though if the speedometer runs faster than you're going you probably don't want to bring that up in court. I could see that conversation going very poorly for you. Judge "I see that you were clocked at 86 in a 70 MPH zone" Busago1979 "but my speedometer said I was going 94.." Judge "Double the fine then! Next case!" :beerchug:

Last edited:
I'm not a cop but I don't believe they look at your speedometer to see if you're speeding or not. :moon:

Seriously though if the speedometer runs faster than you're going you probably don't want to bring that up in court. I could see that conversation going very poorly for you. Judge "I see that you were clocked at 86 in a 70 MPH zone" Busago1979 "but my speedometer said I was going 94.." Judge "Double the fine then! Next case!" :beerchug:

I was thinking along the lines of those members whose bikes register they are doing the opposite, where it states they are doing 60 but they are actually doing 65 etc...

LOL...I like your response though...

So I noticed while I was driving along the highway on my way into work that my Speedo and my GPS Speed were off by about 5-7 mph all the way up to about 80mph on the bike speedo...
Yup, sounds about right. I followed a buddy with a GPS once on my 10R, and it was off that much. I think that's pretty much the norm for "the big 4."

D

Motorcycle speedo's All of them in my experience... off by at least 5-10 MPH... Low or high, typically they read faster. Gotta stroke ego's ya know!!!

Back