Λ (lamda) sensor question

drangu

Registered
hi guys,i wanna know,if i change my full exhaust system,the Lamda sensor,will be able to be installed on the new ones,and if it can be installed,WILL the DATA be correct?i mean a more wide exhaust system will cause less pressure,and ther different DATA from the originals,so will the DATA received from LAmda to ECU will be right??Thank you very much,and sorry for my bad english.i own a 2010 B-King.

The sensor will be pretty much the same as in the original exhaust. The sensors are narrow band sensors, meaning they really only read around a very small area near the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. They are not used as a closed loop system all of the time, and there is no "learning" capability in the ecu.

If I am not mistaken, the sensor is a 12mm sensor, whereas most aftermarket sensors have 18mm threads. If the exhaust has an O2 bung in it, it will most likely be an 18mm. I believe Innovate Motorsports offer an adapter for using a 12mm sensor in an 18m bung.

John

thank you for the answer John,and thanks for the welcoming newman!
What i want to know,is if the DATA received by the sensor will be the right REAL data,cause i 've heard that changing exhausts ,obviously changes the "enviroment" the sensor is programmed for,so the DATA received by it may be false,is that valid?
thanks again!

The "Data" it receives is based on teh residual oxygen left in teh exhaust stream. Changing the diameter of teh pipe into which it is installed will do very little to the signal.

The O2 sensor signal isn't a very important input to the ecu. It is more for part throttle emissions or fuel economy.

As menti0ned, the sensor only functions in a narrow range. This same narrow range for tuning will be the same narrow range for any exhaust, as long as there is significant length to teh pipe after the sensor location and the sensor is not placed in a radically different location.

On your bike, you could likely disable the sensor all together and not notice much, if any, difference in the riding performance.

Back