»» the ultimate hid install w/pics ««

ICEMANN

Registered
Doing a complete HID conversion. Just a couple photos for a hint of more to come. Tedious but fun.

Revamping HID installation on an 01 busa. Twinn HID units, with retrofit focus/aim projector lens in the highbeam position removing the 3" lens and installing a true focused projector lens. Everything self contained in the nose section. Bike still has (5) five musical air horns, twinn element/colored turn signals with similtanous running lights independently controlled.

Basically the immediate photos are for anyone installing an HID system from the group buy. There are other ways other than the RAM AIR tube and this is just another way of doing it so it's all self contained in the nose section. Wire routing was the funnest!.

The bulb was installed as normal. A notch was cut into the top of the housing for the wires to protrude due to the cap. The grommet was utilized for wire protection.

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145678924 -->

the_bulb.jpg

The bulb cover is a perfect fit, protecting the bulb from coming out, vibrating, and accidental shock from a dumb asss not paying attention. One for the other one as well

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145678937 -->

bulb_cover.jpg

Getting near the end.  There are two HID ballasts, two igniters, mass amounts of wires, relays, fuses, and plugs.  Set up so entire nose section can be removed by unplugging three plugs.  Stock, hid1 and HID2.  Everything mounted with antivibration pading and bolts to ensure it wont come apart.

THE NIGHT SUN baby!

Just to give refereance there are still (5) air horns mounted in the nose section to give an idea of space. IT"S ALL USED UP HERE!.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145679080 -->

all_done.jpg

HERE ARE the 2007 versions of air horns for those interested in louder horns.  No hoses, compressor built into horns.  Dual sound.  VERY NICE!

CLICK HERE

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145680345 -->

horn2.jpg

JD u need to open ur own shop...seriously
I got a couple projects I need done, & don't have the time
biggrin.gif

Doing a complete HID conversion.  Just a couple photos for a hint of more to come.  Tedious but fun.

Revamping HID installation on an 01 busa.  Twinn HID units, with retrofit focus/aim projector lens in the highbeam position removing the 3" lens and installing a true focused projector lens.  Everything self contained in the nose section.  Bike still has (5) five musical air horns, twinn element/colored turn signals with similtanous running lights independently controlled.

Basically the immediate photos are for anyone installing an HID system from the group buy.  There are other ways other than the RAM AIR tube and this is just another way of doing it so it's all self contained in the nose section.  Wire routing was the funnest!.
do you have any photo's of the removing of the 3" lens and installing a true focused projector lens.

where did you get the focused projector lens?

thanks cliff

To remove the 3" lens.

Basically you have to remove the nose section off the bike...

you have to remove the headlight from the nose section.

You have to seperate the two 1/2's of the headlight housing with a heat gun not staying in one spot too long. RHYTHM is the expert on this one. Schooled me on it.

This is the same process for installing the blue angel eyes halo lights.

One opened the lens can be removed leaving an unfinished "tube" that the lens covered. The projector lens fits right down the shoot into the tube to align with the hole on the back side for the bulb to connect to. Minor trim made to "tube" length. A little too long. New prefocused lens system has it's own lens cover which replaces the 3" lens you removed. So nearly hides all traces of a change. Does have the ducati look in a way. Rest of the HID is the same. You have to reheat the adheasive on both 1/2's and stick the two halves back together. Sticks great.

No epoxy needed etc.

JD

Updates?

Where did you get a focused projector lens to replace the high beam?

Hows it all working out?

off a bmw. It wasnt my bike but someone local. Works great. I couldnt get the bum to come back round to take night photos next to mine that has the same temp HID but not the "projector".

Still trying to get photos too. IMO. It's nice, lights probably a little clearer and more "defined" if thats appropreate however for the minor difference I saw without a side by side I would say not worth the headache or $$.

JD

Hmm....have a HID comin in. Gonna pick yer brains a lil bit, ICE...don't wanna give myself or the Busa a new "do" with the electrical stuff, if ya know what I mean.

Ok, so what is HID? I understand that it takes less power and puts out more light, but anyone got a link about HOW it works for the ignorant among us?
biggrin.gif

Ok, so what is HID?  I understand that it takes less power and puts out more light, but anyone got a link about HOW it works for the ignorant among us?  
biggrin.gif
You better direct that question towards the Icemann. He's the expert on all this shiite. He's cool people because this dude offers his help and expertise on everything.

Back