«««  HID MOUNTING TIPS »»» ↓

ICEMANN

Registered
GOOSH!..

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>MOUNTING TIPS FOR HID BALLAST</span>

1.  Mount ballast to right (as seated on bike) ram air tube diaganal part.  Test fit with cheap double sided tape, sliding nose section on/off to ensure fit.

2.  Prior to perm mount clean ram tube with alcohol and let disolve.  Use provided double sided tape pad.

3.  Get a package of two enclosed, hoover #60 flat vacuume cleaner belts at about $1.99 - $3.00 for the two.  (GIANT RUBBER BANDS)

4.  Make sure you can "unplug" or "Seperate" wires between ballast and lighting igniter or socket depending on model.  You dont want to be removing nose section and have to stop and untape wires to ballast due to light being on nose and ballast on ram tube.  If there are no connectors put one in.  Note ram air tubes get less vibration and are flater and thicker than inside nose section.  Less likely to get damaged in minor crash.  *PUT TOWEL ON FRONT FENDER TO AVOID SCRATCHES*

5.  Mount igniter on shelf above headlight.  Perfect fit.  Clean shelf with alcohol.  Decent double sided tape works.

6.  DONT TOUCH GLASS HID BULB PERIOD.  Clean with alcohol lightly and let disolve completely.

7.  Stock headlight wiring works but not totally suggested for HID power source.  Wont hurt the wires but it's going thru the entire headlight circuit with other stuff on it.

8.  Consder putting an on/off switch in to take low current shortage away from ballast during bike start up (starvation).

9.  Use a 12v relay. Get power from the bikes battery to power relay.  Use headlight wire to "trigger" relay to turn on ballast.  Put on/off switch on ground side of main power from battery to relay.  Relay power will work all the time bike on or off however headlight wire will only trigger relay to light ballast with key on or bike running.  No drain thru bike smaller wire configurations.   No flickering due to bad grounding/connections.

10.  Do not use HID kits with high tension lines (spark plug wires) and BEND THE LINES.  

11.  Do not mount ballast in trunk area and run LONG ASSS wires to the front.

12.  Re-aim headlight while sitting on bike before putting inner panels back on.

13.  Try not to use cheap crimp on connectors, solder it.  Too much vibrations.

14. Unless your going back to stock I would move further up the wire and cut the stock plug off. Less problems when soldered. You can always put it back on.

15.  Use silcone to completely cover all the contacts on the relay once your satisifed with your hook up to keep moisture out and vibration shorts to a min.

16.  Suggestions of relay mounting location.  BACK SIDE OF INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FRAME.

17.  Glad I could help.

post-6-00911-spot_for_ballast.jpg

post-6-01211-igniter_on_shelf.jpg

I found a plastic round "cap" to go over the rubber dust boot and put two screws in from the sides to hold it inplace.  Then put a decal on it to WARN about voltage.  Keeps it clean and neat.

post-6-01379-with_screws.jpg

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137005624 -->

heck yeah, I'll second that.... when I did my install of his stuff, it was flawless, no details overlooked
cool.gif

Talked to JD several times didn't hesistate to help me. JD your the type of person the world needs more of. Thanks Bro.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137020643 -->

am i missing something but how do you reaim the headlight. i just put in a 6500k hid and it looks like it could go down. really bright though this is one mod i would definatly suggest and is alot easier than it sounds

Aww thanks fellas.

To aim, remove dash inner panel around instrument cluster. Remove two bolts holding instrument cluster and "pull" toward seat. It has O rings holding it in. Anyway theres the adjustment golden bolts. one moves light up and down, the other left and right.

GOTO A FLAT WALL like side of building.

pull right up against wall and have someone put a piece of masking tape across the hot spot of the bulb on the wall. make a plus sign left right and up down thru the center. back up straight to 25 feet and look at light is it high low left or right? now back up 50 feet and do same. you want to adjust light to the tape. Now back up between 65 and 75 feet and do the same thing to personal taste. Some like more light on the ground at that distance some like it to the tape for further up the road viewing. Now it's adjusted under your ride weight and pretty close to accurate.

Go test and readjust.

just dont blind everyone

JD:;):

Why is it bad to use long ass wires? When I did the install on my brothers 1000 we had to run long one because of no room for the boxes. We bought some high insulated wires though. to help it.

typically the wire that goes from the ballast to the igniter or bulb is either "HIGH TENSION" sparkplug type or made in such a way that lengthing them is tuff.  If you have a kit that requires lenthing the wire from ballast to bulb you are non running 50,000 volts the entire length of the bike for example.  By the time the current needed gets all the way up to the bulb it's at less than full punch.  Also any cut in the insulation of that long ass wire will be a bike killer for sure.

Im not referring to the wire from the power source to the ballast.  Im referring to the distance between the ballast and bulb. Thats why almost everyone has to put the ballast in the nose section. Wires are too short.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137169293 -->

I never could get the beam to hit perfect setting it in the garage. Trying to get the bike upright and loaded with a rider. Always by myself and no one to sit on the bike.

I rather adjust mine on the road, leave the lower chin panel off, adjust in the driveway to get close and go for a ride. Take a 1/4inch drive 10mm socket and ratchet. Make adjustments in the real world.

Works for me, then I get the beam set right where I want it. Reinstall the lower chin piece.

Back