Installed DDM HID’s took out PIAA’s – PICS

mike1180

Banned
High and Low 35 watt 5000 bulbs.
The install went real smooth.
I had to cut a bit of the edge of the plastic mount on the H7 low beam with a dremel, just to make it round as the OEM socket. 2 minute job.
I didn’t have to make a washer for the spring clip on the high beam as some have described. It locked in nice and tight without.
I mounted the boxes on the clutch side of the air intake tube (I have 2 horns on the brake side), and used the 2 sided tape and ty wraps.
I used some window glaze tape from Home Depot to seal the back of the bulbs in the sockets.
It is stretchy, soft and sticky and stays soft until you want to remove it.
I didn’t like the silicone idea, as that is too permanent.
WOW are they bright.
The pics are: OEM low beam, PIAA high beam. HID low beam, HID high beam.
The DDM kits are awesome quality and I paid more for the PIAA bulbs as I did for the DDM kits, and the PIAA low bulb burned out real fast!

HID1.JPG

HID2.JPG

Tape.JPG

Tape Light.JPG

Beams.jpg

DDM kits are NICE! Looking to get a set for the wife's car after putting my low on the bike and seeing how slick they are. The ballast is small - fits just about anywhere!

So I guess you are happy with the 35 watt, just wondered cause I am a little confused says the 55 watt are 40% brighter on the site. Wondered if anyone has done their own comparison on the busa.

Well nice upgrade.. but the tape is funny.. might want to invest in some liquid tape, cause that is going to be fun getting off!! :whistle:

Well nice upgrade.. but the tape is funny.. might want to invest in some liquid tape, cause that is going to be fun getting off!! :whistle:

That stuff stays supple a long time-comes off easily.
I use it to put around the seals of the house windows every year before winter.
Peels right off in the spring.

Professional install...:laugh:

Hey did you ever watch the TV show "MacGyver" :laugh:

Last edited:
Good work Mike....whatever gets the job done right :thumbsup::laugh:

The 5k is a nice look on your bike. With the price that DDM is selling their kits for now...all the other competition is going to have to adjust. I mean some are still way off base! So it's a good thing.

Looks great.
As far as the tape goes : form follows function so who cares ?

I had to trim same area on my bulb to get it to fit also .

But it is a big big diff .

I sit at a light at night now .
Flick off hi beam and all signs and the little reflectors in lanes go dark.
Flick it back on and wow all of the sudden you notice how far it lights things up .
At least a half mile I can see speed signs and the lane reflectors .
best cheapest mod I did .

I know during daytime as well it has to help folks see me cuz it's bright white now and not yellow !

It would appear that you "stacked" the Ballasts on the Clutch side intake tube....
How long has this set up been running like this? Do you run into any heat issues while the HID's are running? Do the Ballasts get hot at all??
BTW, The lights look GREAT!!!!!:beerchug:

Im wanting a set now as well:whistle:

I haven't tested them for heat yet.
I did separate them from each other by about 3/8 of and inch, so they are not touching.
I do think they will be fine, don't think they will get too hot.
When I get to riding again ??? I will post up if they get hot.

The lights look great, my question is will the tape stay soft with the lights baking it every time the bike is on. Just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotta ?. How long did the install take? Did you hit any snags along the way not listed? were the instructions thorough enough? How much Fairing did you have to remove to gain access to everything?

Sorry for the Volly of Questions.......... But I am fence sitting, and depending on difficulty, I will be doing this soon.....:please:

It took about an hour or so.
No other snags than listed.
Instructions were great - it is really plug and play for the wiring.
I took off the instrument cluster and left side fairing and left half of the black piece that goes behind the cluster, and that was it.
Good luck, you will love them!

what temp bulbs did you go with and if different which is what temp?

Back