When is "stretched" to much?

To all racers on here. I'm not knocking you guys, but damn, you guys dislike for stretching gets old. Most guys will never attend a trackday including myself. I want to, but I know it will not happen due to the cost and the fact I don't want to devote that much cash to do so. Ask me 5 or 6yrs ago and it would've been a different story and could've made better use of my skill at the time.

On a side note, the reason I somewhat gave up corner carving was for my own good. I was going TOO fast and getting a knee down alittle too often. It wasn't till I was up on Rt56 south of Stuarts Draft Va when I had a very loose, how did I keep control of my bike kinda save that left me renewing my religious faith. To make it worse, I was riding alone which is a big no-no when out in the mountains. I sat down on the guardrail and really thought about what I wanted to accomplish while riding corners. I had no real plans for racing at the time and really had no funds to do so, so when was it enough? How fast did I need to go? I started making all those curvy roads my personal racecourse.

Only there's no runoff area, no paramedics, no people to save your ass right away if your knocked out of badly hurt. To those that ride crazy on the curves, think about what you are doing on public roads and consider doing trackdays. For safety and you can also improve your skill. Don't do the stupid crap I did back then. Ironicly, RT56 is where I had my head-on collision on my bike with a F350 last July 18th 2010 and almost died. That's what I get for riding a HD dresser following a pack of Ducati's. LOL

You guys that have a fragile ego are all going to hate me. I don't candy coat sheetz in order to keep one or two in the crowd from tearing up. :goodboy:

I had one member tell me he was insulted because I said Shinkos were a low end cheap tire. So, it offended him because I called his tires cheap? :shocked: I'm thinking this guy has deeper issues to deal with than me calling his tire cheap. :dunno:

My point is folks, it's not what one says but the context in which it's said. If someone says a stretched bike is "Ghetto" they're saying they don't really care for the stretched look. Shouldn't be offensive to anyone. If I say a stretched bike corners like a turd, shouldn't be offensive to anyone because in my view it does. Doesn't mean anything derogatory about your bike it's simply stating my view.

Good spirited debates are good for everybody. It's when you stoop to the gutter and begin using terms like idiot, stupid along with a list of other derogatory names pointed towards a fellow member that you've lost your composure and stepped over the line.

If you are easily offended, you won't have many friends whether it's on the Org, at your work place or your neighborhood as people will tend to avoid you! Success in life depends a great deal on "ATTITUDE"! :cheerleader:

Well i think i have a pretty nice stretch and maby the fattest rear tire of any org member, and yes i heve the custom paint and enough chrome to raise my bike's surface temp 30 degs in the sun, but im very happy with MY BIKE and i think thats most important. I respect all those who say that it is'nt for them. You can even say IYOP it's ugly, but what i dont like to hear how it was a stupid thing to do or other such words. Name calling has no place here. Why must i be a poser cause ONE OF MY BIKES is stretched and slammed?

I know with that bike i cant take it the mountains and knee drag but it serves it purpose very well, to make me happy. Now on my 1K i can play with the boys all day, I've even racked up a few track days with at Summit Piont with Team Promotion on my Gixer 6. Am i ghetto becaues i spent 14,500 on a tire kit? My kids are clean, fed and well educated and they have a stable roof over there head so all my priorties are in order. I spent many years in school studying hard so i can play HARD and i do. Sorry guys, rant, rant, rant.

O yea, i post pics every chance i get cause i love the way it look's to me and some days i still can't belive its mine. LOL

6.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

To all racers on here. I'm not knocking you guys, but damn, you guys dislike for stretching gets old. Most guys will never attend a trackday including myself. I want to, but I know it will not happen due to the cost and the fact I don't want to devote that much cash to do so. Ask me 5 or 6yrs ago and it would've been a different story and could've made better use of my skill at the time.

On a side note, the reason I somewhat gave up corner carving was for my own good. I was going TOO fast and getting a knee down alittle too often. It wasn't till I was up on Rt56 south of Stuarts Draft Va when I had a very loose, how did I keep control of my bike kinda save that left me renewing my religious faith. To make it worse, I was riding alone which is a big no-no when out in the mountains. I sat down on the guardrail and really thought about what I wanted to accomplish while riding corners. I had no real plans for racing at the time and really had no funds to do so, so when was it enough? How fast did I need to go? I started making all those curvy roads my personal racecourse.

Only there's no runoff area, no paramedics, no people to save your ass right away if your knocked out of badly hurt. To those that ride crazy on the curves, think about what you are doing on public roads and consider doing trackdays. For safety and you can also improve your skill. Don't do the stupid crap I did back then. Ironicly, RT56 is where I had my head-on collision on my bike with a F350 last July 18th 2010 and almost died. That's what I get for riding a HD dresser following a pack of Ducati's. LOL

I enjoy what all of you are saying about your beloved Busas, regardless of their wheelbases! HOWEVER, I have a hard time reconciling "I won't do a trackday because of the cost" with how expensive it is to stretch and install a big rear tire system.....sometimes twice the value of the basic stock Busa!
To me, it's not just trackdays, it's safety schools, California Superbike school, Reg Pridmore's CLASS school, drag racing schools, Kevin Schwantz's school, MSF advanced rider course, etc. It's about becoming a better rider!
A motorcyclist's skillset is the most important "mod" that can be done and opportunities exist all over the world to double your abilities for a lot less than $2000 worth of chrome....there I said it.
Maybe there are a lot of customizers that ride far superior to me....congratulations....I also know there are ones who marginally qualify to ride a Hayabusa, as a cop and biker in Los Angeles, I've scraped up brains off the street with a clipboard from some. It takes much self analysis, honesty and humility to commit to improving oneself's riding skills, I know I'm far away from the level I wish to eventually attain.
Better to spend money on ability than on shiny parts.
So it's your business as to how you want to "do your bike up" just remember to improve yourself along with your scooter. Doyle

I like the look of some stretched 'busa's. As for the ones I don't like, I can still appreciate the time and love that goes into them. Wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all liked the exact same stuff?

I wouldn't do it myself, I like mine short, and I'll be doing some improvements to the suspension in an attempt to make her handle better. It just suits my riding style better. I love leaning in around corners, I just wish we had more corners to play on around here.

I know this is a re-re-re-repost, but for the stretched handling argument, I thought I'd throw this on the fire. :laugh: It takes an amazing rider, and I realize it's not the type of handling being discussed, and it's not a 'busa, but it sure is fun to watch!

That is handling at a whole different level.

Truly amazing! Thanks for that Mo.

I like the look of some stretched 'busa's. As for the ones I don't like, I can still appreciate the time and love that goes into them. Wouldn't the world be a dull place if we all liked the exact same stuff?

I wouldn't do it myself, I like mine short, and I'll be doing some improvements to the suspension in an attempt to make her handle better. It just suits my riding style better. I love leaning in around corners, I just wish we had more corners to play on around here.

I know this is a re-re-re-repost, but for the stretched handling argument, I thought I'd throw this on the fire. :laugh: It takes an amazing rider, and I realize it's not the type of handling being discussed, and it's not a 'busa, but it sure is fun to watch!

Awesome Video !!!!

Skill and speed are all relative. Rider A thinks he is fast because he keeps all his Buds behind him every weekend. Rider B comes along and smokes Rider A, A is impressed. So now Rider A and B think they are both really great riders because they dust off all the other guys in the group, until along comes C and D then E............................ Point is, just because you are going fast enough to scare yourself or faster than your friends doesn't mean you have skill. Just means you are a little better than they are. A fraction of a percent can seem like a 100 % by the time your ego gets though with it.

Fear is not a measure of skill. Thinking that you can't go any faster in that corner on your favorite road because any faster scares the he11 out of you and that's means it can't be taken faster is your ego preserving your identity. It means that you have found your limit. It doesn't indicate how good you are, it reflects how bad you are.

Getting a knee down is not a measure of skill or speed either. It sure looks good in pics though, and cool to tell everyone that you can do it. It doesn't mean you've got skills. I've ridden with a number of people over the years with scuffed pucks. They drag their knees around the same corner at the same speed that I'm going thru it with out my knee anywhere near the pavement. They think it means they have skill, but it's just posing. They are not going near fast enough that they need to drag a knee. Look at all the knee dragging pics posted here and every where else. The bike is barely leaned over. Not near enough to justify a knee on the ground. The guy coming around the corner in a few minutes two up on a Goldwing can take the corner at the same speed.

Don't get insulted, Motorcyclists are notorious for this type of thinking. We are risk takes to some degree and it's our human nature to think in this manner(believe our egos). Our limits are self imposed and apply to absolutely no one except our selves. I'm not saying I'm better or more skillful than anyone. I don't consider myself much more than mediocre. What I'm am saying is based on what you are saying is that your scale of measurement is skewed. It's relative based on your ability and experience. If anyone believes that they can get a stretched and slammed fatty thru the same corner just as fast as they can on a stock wheelbase bike re read the above or take an Engineering and Psychology class. The facts are not what you think they are.

Billy Joel has said, he is not a very good musician, but he was a better than a bunch of people that call themselves musicians who are making millions of dollars.

And if someone thinks Ghetto is a derogatory term, you are way too PC. It's the basis of the Hip Hop and Rap industry. A bunch of people are making millions of dollars trying to be Ghetto. There are a billion fan boys out there, it is what it is. Not my creation, but I know it when I see it.

umm... are we still talkin about how much stretch is too much??

yeah??

ok! well then... mine is stretched 6 over and i love it! it handles well enough for me... took it out for a ride one time with another member on here and got it pretty low... lower than i thought it would go-- only because it was dusk and i couldn't clearly see the curve untill i was in it and realized i might be going a little too fast to pull it off, at that point it is all or nothing, so i leaned her hard and came thru like 'wow, did i just pull that off??' kinda gave me a new respect for what the bike is capable of versus what i am comfortable with...

IMG_20110311_143401.jpg

Skill and speed are all relative. Rider A thinks he is fast because he keeps all his Buds behind him every weekend. Rider B comes along and smokes Rider A, A is impressed. So now Rider A and B think they are both really great riders because they dust off all the other guys in the group, until along comes C and D then E............................ Point is, just because you are going fast enough to scare yourself or faster than your friends doesn't mean you have skill. Just means you are a little better than they are. A fraction of a percent can seem like a 100 % by the time your ego gets though with it.

Fear is not a measure of skill. Thinking that you can't go any faster in that corner on your favorite road because any faster scares the he11 out of you and that's means it can't be taken faster is your ego preserving your identity. It means that you have found your limit. It doesn't indicate how good you are, it reflects how bad you are.

Getting a knee down is not a measure of skill or speed either. It sure looks good in pics though, and cool to tell everyone that you can do it. It doesn't mean you've got skills. I've ridden with a number of people over the years with scuffed pucks. They drag their knees around the same corner at the same speed that I'm going thru it with out my knee anywhere near the pavement. They think it means they have skill, but it's just posing. They are not going near fast enough that they need to drag a knee. Look at all the knee dragging pics posted here and every where else. The bike is barely leaned over. Not near enough to justify a knee on the ground. The guy coming around the corner in a few minutes two up on a Goldwing can take the corner at the same speed.

Don't get insulted, Motorcyclists are notorious for this type of thinking. We are risk takes to some degree and it's our human nature to think in this manner(believe our egos). Our limits are self imposed and apply to absolutely no one except our selves. I'm not saying I'm better or more skillful than anyone. I don't consider myself much more than mediocre. What I'm am saying is based on what you are saying is that your scale of measurement is skewed. It's relative based on your ability and experience. If anyone believes that they can get a stretched and slammed fatty thru the same corner just as fast as they can on a stock wheelbase bike re read the above or take an Engineering and Psychology class. The facts are not what you think they are.

Billy Joel has said, he is not a very good musician, but he was a better than a bunch of people that call themselves musicians who are making millions of dollars.

And if someone thinks Ghetto is a derogatory term, you are way too PC. It's the basis of the Hip Hop and Rap industry. A bunch of people are making millions of dollars trying to be Ghetto. There are a billion fan boys out there, it is what it is. Not my creation, but I know it when I see it.

I'm not PC or whatever your attempting to say, as I said before that's how you feel it looks then that's ok, my point is there are better choices of words, maybe I can help you out with that! How about its not for me, simple but we get the picture, I'm done going back and forth. Enjoy your ride and I will enjoy mine. Dueces!!!!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapa Talk!

Can you really claim it's an RX-7 when you throw an LS1 in it?? Way off topic, but this kind of **** bothers me to no end as an LS1 owner... :banghead:

Good thing there's enough busa's for all of us to race/ride/enjoy/knee drag/trailer/mod/stretch/throw money at, right?

Again ... Thanks ezduzit.. PC ??... What the hell!! Just say you don't like stretched bikes and state your reason why you don't like it. THATS ALL you have to do !!

Back