Stretching vs Non-Stretching

mvanlone

Registered
My last busa was stretched 6 in. I drove that bike 2 years until drunk driver put her down. I got a new bike and I have not stretched it. I realize that not stretching the bike is the way to go for me. It feels so much better to increase the maneuvering of the bike. I can go around the corners so much better. I really don't see the need to stretch a bike where you are going to lose aspects of the maneuvering. What all of you guys think?

My last busa was stretched 6 in. I drove that bike 2 years until drunk driver put her down. I got a new bike and I have not stretched it. I realize that not stretching the bike is the way to go for me. It feels so much better to increase the maneuvering of the bike. I can go around the corners so much better. I really don't see the need to stretch a bike where you are going to lose aspects of the maneuvering. What all of you guys think?

Its up to the rider, I'm gonna do it more for the look, maybe 3 or 4 inches the most.

Did mine for a couple reasons

#1 Looks
#2 Help keep that front end down.

6" Stretch

Personally, I think they look ugly stretched, but that's just my opinion. Probably gonna catch some flack for that. :poke:

Mine is stretched 6" and I love it . For me its a smoother ride (like a Cadillac). A longer wheelbase will give a smoother ride,even though it may sacrifice some cornering ability.
I wasnt really concerned about cornering as my focus was ride comfort and straightline speed. I do dragrace it on the weekends. As far as looks go I feel that a 6" stretch does look good but I see some guys going 12" 18" and that puts the rear tire way beyond the tail of the bike and it just looks weird.

I only do a 4.5" stretch, does not hurt my handling with riding up in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Great for drag racing that I do as often as I can. Not too long of a stretch that causes the rear tire to spin up too easily. I don't do trackdays on my Busa anymore because of the stretch but I have a older ZX-10 for that duty now a days.

trip07.jpg

If you have a desire to improve your riding skills, I'd recommend you leave your suspension stock height and length.

Once you screw up your suspension your learning curve becomes flat and stagnant.

The further you stretch the rear tire the more it loads the front. That's not a good idea if you enjoy the corners. But, you can always lower it after the stretch so it can't lean far enough to be a serious problem.

Then the best part is you get to wave at the paper boy on his Schwin when he passes you at the first roundabout! :laugh:

I have mine at 61/2"" because of the look.I think it looks better than having a stuby rear.It still handles you just have to get used to it.It rides better and looks good.

I agree!

Bottom line, its your bike bro. If you like the stock length compared to the stretch, keep it that way. You now know what both worlds have to offer and only you can make that decision.

Back