Air to air intercooler question

hezekiahmunson

Registered
Ignoring how it looks, would mounting an air to air intercooler like this, not with the wind blowing through it, still work decently for the quarter mile as long as it was allowed to cool down between runs? I know it wont work as good as mounted in the wind but it should still be taking some heat out at the end of a pass shouldnt it, or just horrible idea? How hot does a 16G spit out the air around 10psi, any ideas?

DSC03062.JPG

DSC03063.JPG

I think you will run quicker without that.
Posted via Mobile Device

i know nearly nill about this sort of thing... but an intercooler is essentially a heat exchanger, and relies a lot on the air flow... so I wouldnt think you would gain much by mounting it like that...

Mounting an air to air in a position like that, where the fins dont have much (if any) air flow going through them, is useless.

Thats the same as wiping your butt before you poop...It doesnt make sense.

Close the two sides and fill ist up with water....
Than you will have at least an good effect for the quater mile.

MAX

Closing it off and filling it with water is probably better mounted like that, good idea. I was thinking since an air to air works as a heat sink as much as a heat exchanger it might be good enough for a quarter mile at a time letting it cool down between rounds, probably bad idea anyway though.

I'll have to try wiping my ass before hand and see how that works out, I probably wont post any pictures though.

Pity the core is so long , i have mounted them on the front of the plenum and used the ram air ducts directed at the core and sealed so the air has to go through, maybe not as good as a front mount air/air but definitely better than nothing , logs showed a fairly consistant 50% efficancy and under tank temps never showed as a prob as the running engine put enough air through the core to take some temp out then anything above 35 mph the temp was pretty much ambiant untill you boosted..

Under the tank with the ram air hitting it would be nice. I guess an intercooler that small would have to be a one off jobber? I moved the radiator over to the right about 1" and put the innercooler next to it at a 45 degree angle facing forward and it might work better. I might do that and put a small scoop to funnel the air in, it looks a little less odd like this too.

brought the cores as subaru top mount on ebay, cut in half as its twice as wide as needed
gen1plenum002.jpg

gen1plenum001.jpg

This one has a seal that directs the air over the top and through, also collecting some air from in front of the radiator , bit of work getting the airflow right , but this intercooler position is useless without air flow , a mates bike has similar and he left the ducts off after a plug change at the track , lost 10mph ...

Back