2nd thoughts on whether to drop & stretch

2wheeldfien

Registered
all my parts are on the way, got everything but the arm basically.....as i read post and think, im tossed up inbetween, i dont know if i will hate myself for dropping and stretching, some say it will drasticly change the handling and no more twisties at all for me, some say it isnt so bad, and ofcoarse it wont handle as well but i can still hit twisties.....im only goin with a 6+, 2" drop and keeping the factory rims and tires...i know if went wide along with it, it would def kill the twisties factor...any input and experience would help alot......i know she will look great, but after all i want to be able to ride it as well, not just a show peice

i know she will look great, but after all i want to be able to ride it as well, not just a show peice

??? Not so, dont believe everything you hear! Will effect you YES. Will it effect it beyond really noticing it, No. If your really a hard corner knee dragger....you would have never considered it, but you have....so you prob will not even realize it after the 1st or 2nd ride.

Go long, go low, go fatt:laugh: and it will still hit the corners if you make it go there:beerchug:

Depends how twisty u wanna get. Stretched and lowered does not go through curves nearly as well, or as fast, but you can still do it.

I do drag knees too, and would never strectch or lower mine for that reason, as well as it making wheelies harder. But what BigRod1300 says above is rite on.

to give you guys a little background on my riding, i tracked a 1000 for awhile, i sold it cuz i dont track as much or rarely every anymore, when i 1st bought this bike i had no intentions, actually i never intended to buy a busa, just fell in love when i saw it, however, after my 1st few rides( she has less than 600 miles) i realized that i wasnt going to be able to rip her as hard as the 1000 on the twisties, not sayin the busa doesnt handle great for what it is, but reality is not as good as a 1000, in that said, i figured i would build her to look even better, and maybe have a diff type of fun with it, break the back tire loose here and there, and be able to really get that power down, with my current health its prob good that i didnt get another 1000, dont know if my jacked up back and afford a serious fall, i figure if later on i misss the twisties that much, i can pick up a 750, now as far as from what is said that it will completely kill the turning and lesure twisties is BS?? i dont plan to drag knee on her, just simply get it low enough on turns to have fun sorta speak.

The stretch won't be as bad as the drop for the fun your talkin about. You'll be able to control the extra length, but your pegs are gonna drag pretty easy, I 'm sure you've dragged plenty of them on normal ride height bikes. Up and back rearsets of course will help, but may put your legs in a more cramped position for that style of bike. You'll also easily drag the fairings, and the right side of the engine sits out further than the left.

If you are doing it for the looks factor then I'm not with you but if you are planning on hitting the dragstrip then more power to ya:thumbsup:

i know im going to grind the feelers right off, i can live with that, im still in the market for vortex styel rearsets, but undecided.....i might want to feel the ground with the stocks that give rather then the solid vortex and gofor a diff type of ride..lol...not to mention the feelers will give me a better sense of how low iam b4 i do rub anything serious..anyway when u say the fairings, thats what im worried about, i got the adjustable dog bones and one peice triple so i can play with the height, do u have any idea if 2" drop will be that bad to scraping the fairings? i def dont wanna scrap them.

btw thanks for the info sixpack, and bigrod also....:beerchug:

well thats what i mean when i say get that power down, def not right away, i still wanna get use to it alot more...and if i do wit will be ocasionlly, just for fun...i have never hit the strip with my track bike...was more into the track and wheelies....figured i wouldn mind trying something diff, and learnign a whole new aspect of the sport...

If you are doing it for the looks factor then I'm not with you but if you are planning on hitting the dragstrip then more power to ya:thumbsup:

well thats what i mean when i say get that power down, def not right away, i still wanna get use to it alot more...and if i do wit will be ocasionlly, just for fun...i have never hit the strip with my track bike...was more into the track and wheelies....figured i wouldn mind trying something diff, and learnign a whole new aspect of the sport...

i know im going to grind the feelers right off, i can live with that, im still in the market for vortex styel rearsets, but undecided.....i might want to feel the ground with the stocks that give rather then the solid vortex and gofor a diff type of ride..lol...not to mention the feelers will give me a better sense of how low iam b4 i do rub anything serious..anyway when u say the fairings, thats what im worried about, i got the adjustable dog bones and one peice triple so i can play with the height, do u have any idea if 2" drop will be that bad to scraping the fairings? i def dont wanna scrap them.

btw thanks for the info sixpack, and bigrod also....:beerchug:

Scraping is easily done, I have an egg shaped(and size) scrape(paint gone) on the right lower fairing. I drag the factory gen2 muflers, and ocassionally the fairings(almost always right fairing). I try not to get that low(as of course that's bordering on a lowside) but sometimes unavoidable at speed. 2 inches down would make that scraping easier. You may find your track days haunting you and leanin you way over:laugh:

:cheerleader: on scraping the mufflers, and u sound like a fellow tracker mabye, so u would feel my pain if i cant, but im hopeing that my rational thinking gets the best of me b4 entering that turn, and just try to make up for it on the exit speed if i have too ( u know my dam tracker buddies will be pushin me), but no honestly, i dont want to get that far into a turn with it that i will happen, like i said, i just wanna be able to have fun with it, no more knee or scraping anything for me, alteast for a while, hopefully by then i ll have a 750 and can get back to tracking and scraping stuff, right now i have other obligations to attend to, and just happy that i didnt have to give up riding all together.....and yes my track days may haunt me, but the mental image of a scratch in teh new bike, hopefully haunts me more

Lowered front 1' rear 2', went to deals gap and this is what happened... Fairings rubbed on both sides, exhaust got it also. Seemed like on one of the right turns i took it hit the fairings so much as to lift the back wheel off the ground, like the fairing was supporting the bike. If you leave the busa stock height twisties are no problem, you will get used to it no matter how you have it set up but yes the fairings will rub the ground with it lowered.

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

I have the same concern. Realistically I only want to stretch 3-4", same stock wheels. But as most people know on hear I ride pretty hard, can drag a good knee, and have wheelied well, enough times haha.

My solution?

I'm gunna buy an R1 and then stretch it.

CRISIS AVERTED
:thumbsup:

Listen to what BigRod1300 is saying. I have ridden with a few guys that have lowered, stretched, and with fat tires on the back and they have very little trouble getting the bike to lean over. Good luck and have fun with the mods.

:cheerleader: on scraping the mufflers, and u sound like a fellow tracker mabye, so u would feel my pain if i cant, but im hopeing that my rational thinking gets the best of me b4 entering that turn, and just try to make up for it on the exit speed if i have too ( u know my dam tracker buddies will be pushin me), but no honestly, i dont want to get that far into a turn with it that i will happen, like i said, i just wanna be able to have fun with it, no more knee or scraping anything for me, alteast for a while, hopefully by then i ll have a 750 and can get back to tracking and scraping stuff, right now i have other obligations to attend to, and just happy that i didnt have to give up riding all together.....and yes my track days may haunt me, but the mental image of a scratch in teh new bike, hopefully haunts me more

:laugh:I wish i could get on a track, but I used to ride with guys that did, we pushed each other good. Here's a picture of were the scrape will be. It's kinda hard to see, but it's the only pic I have of it now. If you look at the lower fairing, where it goes straight up(directly to the right from the lower chrome end of the exhaust) You'll see the discolored egg shape, the paint is gone. You can only see a small scrape on the front of the black part of the muffler, as the rest are on the chrome sheil on the pipe. The other pipe is much, much worse, as again the right side of the engine is sitting out futher

005.jpg

Lowered front 1' rear 2', went to deals gap and this is what happened... Fairings rubbed on both sides, exhaust got it also. Seemed like on one of the right turns i took it hit the fairings so much as to lift the back wheel off the ground, like the fairing was supporting the bike. If you leave the busa stock height twisties are no problem, you will get used to it no matter how you have it set up but yes the fairings will rub the ground with it lowered.

Damn man those pics are a bit unsettling but props for keeping her wheels down :thumbsup:

Listen to what BigRod1300 is saying. I have ridden with a few guys that have lowered, stretched, and with fat tires on the back and they have very little trouble getting the bike to lean over. Good luck and have fun with the mods.

Im lower 2" in front / air ride in rear ( so I get the hight up a bit more when realy rocking it thru some switchbacks ), Im also 10 over running a 330...YES A FATTY 330. With the tail up causing that front rack it helps me cut in better...if I was to slam the rear down and rock the corners, but Id have a lesser effect.
As for scrapes..I have fairing spikes in the lower holes and the lowest but second back is shaved OFF to odd 45 angle:laugh: Dont know how:whistle: The very under side of my fairings are VERY rashed from bumps/ hump/ and scrapping on my ramp on/off at the track. DRAG TRAC THAT IS.

Like I said up top...once you get the feel..you can make it do what ever you want NOW it may take more effort to do it, but it will go. Iv totaly shocked my self on how I can rock the fatty like second nature now..its been 2yr on it. MY MULLET sure not a trailer queen....its road HARD and looks good doing it:beerchug:

Last edited:
I Like it , not to low or to long but i like it!

how long is that arm??
thanks for all the input guys, i dont feel like imma hate myself for doin it now....cant wait to get the build dont, i figure 2 weeks ill have my arm, and that friday night me and my buddy will go to town....

Back