Anyone install oversized air scoops on Gen-II Busa?

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to report.

All I can say is I'm very disgusted at the overall quality and fit. I let my father borrow my camera, and he wasn't aware that I had pictures on there of the scoops when he cleared it after using it, so I apologize for no pics to backup my claims.

For starters, it looked like they rattle canned them, and judging by the finger prints on the backside, they didn't believe in hanging the parts to paint them. Second, and this is the one that gets me the most, there was an obvious gash about 1.5-2" long on the right piece, just above the air opening. Third, by the intake openings (where they meet the ram air tubes) was that dry-rough-overyspray kind of texture all the way around (I guess he didn't shake the can enough). I spent all day Saturday sanding them down to fix the major blemesh and repaint them. Why didn't I send them back you may be wondering? I really don't have the time to wait for them to get back to Sh*tbodies and have them delay in shipping me another pair again, and after seeing the quality, it would be a gamble on getting a better pair...Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is coming up in a couple of weeks in northwest Arkansas and I want my bike finished before then (I'm going more for the bikes and bbq :laugh: ). Finally, before I undertook reworking them I bolted them to the upper, and while they fit, they fit VERY tight. Also, the tubes don't go quite all the way to the grills on the ram air tubes, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it. I handed them off to a friend of mine that has a body shop as I was fed up with having to go back and fix the mistakes of someone who obviously don't take pride in their work (I say someone because I know the whole company is not to blame, though I've heard of QC issues before from a lot of people around here...should've listened).

All I can say is buy the unpainted or smoked versions, as the smoke seems to be better as far as overall quality. If I pissed off some people with either my rant or lack of photos, sorry, but after the overall dissapointment as far as the shipping delay and quality, I can't recommend anyone order these particular pieces. Maybe the Yana Shiki's will be a little better. I will post pics of them on the bike as well as the mediocre fitment I mentioned earlier.

All I can say is I'm very disgusted at the overall quality and fit. I let my father borrow my camera, and he wasn't aware that I had pictures on there of the scoops when he cleared it after using it, so I apologize for no pics to backup my claims.

For starters, it looked like they rattle canned them, and judging by the finger prints on the backside, they didn't believe in hanging the parts to paint them. Second, and this is the one that gets me the most, there was an obvious gash about 1.5-2" long on the right piece, just above the air opening. Third, by the intake openings (where they meet the ram air tubes) was that dry-rough-overyspray kind of texture all the way around (I guess he didn't shake the can enough). I spent all day Saturday sanding them down to fix the major blemesh and repaint them. Why didn't I send them back you may be wondering? I really don't have the time to wait for them to get back to Sh*tbodies and have them delay in shipping me another pair again, and after seeing the quality, it would be a gamble on getting a better pair...Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is coming up in a couple of weeks in northwest Arkansas and I want my bike finished before then (I'm going more for the bikes and bbq :laugh: ). Finally, before I undertook reworking them I bolted them to the upper, and while they fit, they fit VERY tight. Also, the tubes don't go quite all the way to the grills on the ram air tubes, but I guess I'm going to have to live with it. I handed them off to a friend of mine that has a body shop as I was fed up with having to go back and fix the mistakes of someone who obviously don't take pride in their work (I say someone because I know the whole company is not to blame, though I've heard of QC issues before from a lot of people around here...should've listened).

All I can say is buy the unpainted or smoked versions, as the smoke seems to be better as far as overall quality. If I pissed off some people with either my rant or lack of photos, sorry, but after the overall dissapointment as far as the shipping delay and quality, I can't recommend anyone order these particular pieces. Maybe the Yana Shiki's will be a little better. I will post pics of them on the bike as well as the mediocre fitment I mentioned earlier.
better to get the story straight..thanks for the honest review and a concur about quality issues... :whistle:

I installed them after the bike and I were involved in a pretty bad accident. I purchased the ones from Hotbodies, off ebay. (yea, yea) The fitment is very tight, but at the same time you know they won't let the fairing come loose from the nose section. Personally, I thing the look is very aggressive and unique. The one thing that you should do in the process is get a set of aftermarket intake screens since they can be put directly onto the scoop and hide any slight alignment issues with the intake tube, just a suggestion. On to the pic!!!

528.jpg

526.jpg

I'm just not sure why someone would want to ruin the aerodynamic effects of the Busa. The turn signals were designed to aid in directing air into the intake tubes. Those look more like most of the air would just slide past the intakes, creating a low pressure zone where it should be a high pressure zone. I'd like to find some wind tunnel testing to prove otherwise, but no luck.

Dr E, the Pig Spotters look great, are the LED included with HotBody air scoops supposed to work within the headlight? Did the pig spotters need any additional "stuff" due to change in voltage/power for LED lights? Where did you get the "smoked" headlight cover?:thumbsup:

Sorry for the delay in writing back...just got back in town. No problem with the LED as they were a direct replacement from the standard bulb.

Headlight cover came from EBay as there is a supplier in Florida that sold it for ~$25.

Schnitz' Power Scoops for GenI Hayabusa's were garbage and voted best suited for flower pots! They never did anything to increase air-flow or optimal pressurization of the air box. They were aesthetic and placebo values only. It's interesting to watch this all again.

I'm just not sure why someone would want to ruin the aerodynamic effects of the Busa. The turn signals were designed to aid in directing air into the intake tubes. Those look more like most of the air would just slide past the intakes, creating a low pressure zone where it should be a high pressure zone. I'd like to find some wind tunnel testing to prove otherwise, but no luck.

The test that Fast Sjonny, Busa@11k (Scott Ulen), Nick Smith and Egg of 200mph.uk, who performed back to back runs on his slightly modified 1999 Hayabusa at Elvington Airfield in Yorkshire England tested the air box for different levels of pressurization. They also included in the test a pair of ram air power scoops. This data WAS properly collected and tallied in a methodical and scientific manner.

It was theorized that the ram air scoops offered absolutely NO improvement over what designers originally had penned and actually moving forward into the forward part of the 'frontal' area of wind decreased pressurization. The term for the 'Power Scoops', "better suited as a flower pot" came from Busa@11k himself; an aerospace engineer, that I know personally, that looked even at himself and calculated it sideways!

I think that with enough time that evolves, there will always be products that are sold to those that data has skipped through the cracks enough to make people think something like this will work,, not founded, but only because it is cool!
RamairData21253683412.jpg

-ramairdata

These bikes are fast enough for me, at least right now. The look is different and with this being my first bike, its all about how to look different without spending too much. If I want more power in the future, then its a turbo set up.:race:::

Okey, I got these Air Scoops last season... I did a honest try to disamble all the parts to get there with no luck. I am no super mechanic, but this was hard... I pulled out a lot of parts I probably should'nt. After no luck of getting anywhere I put it all back together.

I know there are few of you guys out there who have done this. Is there a manual or could someone tell me step by step guide. Would appreciate it :)

The air scoops are just gathering dust, thought I would give it one more try before the season starts again :)

So, what's up BusaBrad? It has been three months now. Where are the pics? I bought the rear light covers from them and had to return them because of the terrible condition they came in. They replaced them no prob.

I installed them after the bike and I were involved in a pretty bad accident. I purchased the ones from Hotbodies, off ebay. (yea, yea) The fitment is very tight, but at the same time you know they won't let the fairing come loose from the nose section. Personally, I thing the look is very aggressive and unique. The one thing that you should do in the process is get a set of aftermarket intake screens since they can be put directly onto the scoop and hide any slight alignment issues with the intake tube, just a suggestion. On to the pic!!!

so wers ur front turn signals now???

OK, I have gotten several PM's about mine that I have installed. First off, I have not noticed an improvement nor have I noticed a decline in performance. I know there is a lot of heated debate on style, function, form and quality. I will tell you, I did the modification for style! I like how they look and I like how it cleans the bike up. I will throw something else out there that has gotten a lot of negative input. Pig Spotter II by STMachine. I replaced my stock elbow mirrors with the PSII and I love them. In a measured test of what I could see behind my bike, I now have over a 26' foot span behind me that I can see. This is well over a lane on each side of me rather then just my elbows. In addition, with the LED turn signals integrated into the mirrors, this negates the "upgrade" by HotBodies for the scoops for their turn signals. The scoops work, the turn signals don't. This is just my opinion and it works for me. Everyone has to be their own judge of what they like and are comfortable with.

Here are a couple of pics on the scoops and mirrors.

Take care,

Eric

Hey Eric, I was wasn't sure if you knew about this windscreen but I thought you might want to know. If you ask me, I think it would be a beautiful addition to your bike. :cheerleader: I have listed the link below.

08-09 GSX1300R Hayabusa Carbon Body Work | Magical Racing

blue moto-works screen02.jpg

blue moto-works screen03.jpg

J to the D...Many thanks! I had looked for that very screen. You are the man!

Thanks

J to the D...Many thanks! I had looked for that very screen. You are the man!

Thanks

No prob, and I got to say your bike looks absolutely BADASS man! :bowdown:

Oh, and one more thing. Since you went with a two-toned have you considered doing something like this to your front fender?

C_15_F.jpg

Not trying to overstep my bounds, but your bike looks the closest to what I was doing to my orange/black 08'.

Last edited:
Back