Trackday virgin no more!! Nashville 18 April (pics)

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I lost my trackday viginity yesterday at the Nashville International raceway. I ended up having to represent for the entire Hayabusa nation because I had the only Busa there. I registered for the Novice day thru Sportbiketracktime.com. I had three goals:

1. Do NOT WRECK!
2. See goal #1
3. Get my knee down without violating goals 1 & 2

Thanks so much to Steven (Tufbusa) for all the advice and long-distance coaching he gave me, really appreciate it. The images in this first post or so are from my iPhone, but there are more being sent.

Anyway, I went down on Friday night; had to be there at 7 AM and I didn't want to be trying to haul my bike down there at the crack of dawn and trying to get organized at the last moment. Friday was a beautiful day. First pic is arriving at the racetrack

IMG_0024.JPG

Nashville has a very nice raceway. Never been to any other track, but I understand it's not nearly as nice as Barber. They have a great pit area, all you had to do was pic one, pull in and unload your stuff. Since I was early, had plenty of slots to choose from.

IMG_0030.JPG

It just so happened that they were drag racing that night. Bikes, cars, trucks, even some 4-wheelers down the front pit lane. I saw at least one Orange Busa. Below pic is at the end of their run, seen from the pit area.

IMG_0029.JPG

I was lucky enough to choose a slot beside a really nice couple, the husband was running in the intermediate group. They provided a lot of good advice, helped my unplug my headlight, ziptie the passenger pegs, and tape my wheel weights (not mentioned in the STT FAQ). Bathroom but no showers. The next morning broke to be about 45 (COLD; I camped in the back of my pickup truck. Bright sunny clear morning; the weather had been predicting rain off and on for weeks so I was glad to see clear skies.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Everyone kept coming up to me and saying "this bike is way too nice to put on the track" Everyone else there for the most part had specific track bikes, mostly 600's but a few liter bikes. I can see why they'd rather use a cheap bike that they can tear up and not feel too bad about it. Here's my Busa set up to run.

IMG_0035.JPG

I'm not done yet!

Just so happened that a fellow .org member was in the bay beside me! John (jbrew44) came and introduced himself. He'd done it right, he has an old GSX-R600 trackbike that he brought to the track. To be honest, he passed me several times (GOAL #1). Had a good time talking to him. Dude, next time bring your Busa!

So after registration (I was second one to register)(note to self: It's always better to be early and get it over with than to be late and have to stand in line) and thru tech (no issues) went to class. The instructors were very information and were doing their best to make sure that everyone understood the rules, and had a fun and safe ride.

After that, went back to our bikes and lined up on the track to go out. The 'virgins' each rode with a group instructor on the first session; first lap was very slow speed following the instructor single file to see the lines and turns; the second lap he sped it up just a little, and the third lap a little more. We also had a forced pit lap so that we could learn how to properly enter and exit the track. Then we went back to the classroom for awhile. I got hooked up with the suspension guy and set an appointment for 11 (right after the second session). The second session went at a much faster clip. I think we had one or two minor crashes in our 2nd session and a few people were having trouble in the turns (rideouts); in fact, we got to learn the forced pit real quick because we had to leave the track early because of a crash. I was very careful remembering Tufbusa's advice about tire warming (first lap slow, second lap faster, third lap whatever you can handle); I also think that got me comfortable on the bike again. The little nimble smaller bikes could flick the turns; but I'd have to haul the big beast around in them. I could catch any bike on the track in the straights, but in the turns the faster more experienced riders would catch back up - fine with me because I wasn't concerned about passing/getting passed, just about not crashing and learning the bike and the track. In this session, the instructor would signal for each rider to pass in front of him one at a time, then follow him thru a few turns to see how he/she was doing before motioning to the next rider. I think I was second or third in line, so when he motioned me, I passed, made a few turns, and on the straightway took off to catch the front rider...the instructor later told me "I went to watch you, then you hit the straightaway and you were GONE :laugh:

I was supposed to go class after the second session, but ended up missing it (with my instructors permission) to go get my suspension tuned. That was an interesting experience. Of course, later the guy is trying to sell me a spring upgrade/replacement, but we'll see.

Here is a pic of me getting ready to go out on the third session (note the virgin A-stars suit, too)

IMG_0039.JPG

It was in the third session that I got the crap scared out of me.

Last edited:
In the third session, I may have gotten a little to ahead of myself. Lesson to self: You may be able to go faster than the little guys, but if you are with them coming to the turn, you may be going too fast because they can slow down better than you. Other lesson to self: Stay off the rear brake!

I was coming to the turn too hot, and put my foot on the rear brake. This was a mistake; the rear locked up on me and i started to skid. I let off real quick, and then did it again (and skid again) getting into the turn. I just about crapped my pants. It took me about 3 laps to get my nerve up again. Several other riders were having trouble, I know I saw one or two rideoffs, another short crash, and a couple of "Oh crap" moments. Otherwise, I thought I was doing ok in the turns. Yes, I was getting passed (but I also did some passing this time, in the straights and in a few turns). My confidence was building and I thought I was doing better.

By this time, my tires are starting to look a little worn (remember, they were new in the morning)..still some chickenstrip left, though...

IMG_0036.JPG

I used Tufbusa's advice and did the zip-tie trick on the front fork, here's the result (what do you think Tuf?)

IMG_0046.JPG

Sure sounds like you had a good time. :thumbsup: and thanks for the pics

After lunchbreak, we had 3 more sessions. In the next session, I again had a slide at the end of the back straightaway; after that, I just let people pass me and slowed down earlier, then sped back up after I got past that spot. I became more determined in the last two sessions that I was gonna get my knee down; there were two turns that I thougth I was getting close, and on each pass I was going lower and lower. ON the next to last session, I got tired near the end (my legs are hurting by now), and I blew a turn. Instead of trying to take it, I sat straight up and went thru the grass and then corrected. Another close call to remind me that you can't get lazy out there.

On the last session, I decided I was going to tap my knee. I came up on the left 180 turn with nobody behind me, went wide, dipped, cracked the throttle and made a conscious effort to stick my knee out - and FINALLY got it! On the other turn, I did it again and tapped my puck again (no more virgin left puck, anyway). I never could tap the right puck (not yet anyway).

Two laps later, I almost screwed the pooch. I went for the puck again, and the back tire started to come out from under me. I don't know if I did the right thing or not, but I didn't overcompensate and highside (wasn't going that fast), but it again spooked me. I thought maybe my tire had reached it's limit, but I'm wondering from some more of you experienced guys if I might now have been far enough off my bike, because when I got done I noticed I had managed to scrape the crap out of my case cover (which may have been what made my rear so light that it lost traction). Anyway, here's the proof of my knee and toe sliders, and my case cover:

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Zip-Tie trick is to put a zip-tie around one of your forks, and ride. Doesn't interfere with your forks function, and you have a visual indicator afterwards about how much fork you used. Helps to gauge how well they are set.

In any case, I survived, and met all three of my goals. Would I do it again? Heck yes. I'd even do it on my Busa, but I can sense there is risk in trashing my bike. Do I now want a track bike? I'm told you'll learn to be a better rider on a really small bike, but I think I'd want a liter bike so I'm closer to the same weight as my Busa (liter bike). My concern would be that I'd go track a small bike and get good at it, then go out on the street and try the same on my busa with disasterous consequences. I'd like to track a bike near what I'd ride on the street. Yes, I am already looking at what remaining dates there are this you with that goal in mind. I may now have to sell my Harley I'm sure I could find a decent bike with that kind of cash!

To be clear, I got passed a bunch of times, but that was ok; it was my first track day and I didn't want to be hauling my bike home in pieces. This was more about me and the track than me and the other riders. I really don't care to be out there trying to learn to race (and the associated risk), but I think I could really like the novice days. There are some more pics out there with me on the track somewhere; when I get them I'll add to this thread. Now I gotta go out the the garage and reconfigure for the BASH!

Oh yeah, no more chickenstrips! :cheerleader:

IMG_0041.JPG

Last edited:
It was really cool watching skydivr ride his busa out there. He was riding the crap out of that thing! It was really nice meeting a fellow board member.

Well Keith, Looks like you gave that 16 real spankin dude! Glad you had a fun time and please dont sell the kids to make your next track day :thumbsup:

Jbrew is too kind, but I did my best to represent!

Tuf, tell me why I scuffed my case slider....and how I can prevent that in the future. I suspect my riding position isn't getting me off the bike far enough, so when I went for the slider I was leaned over too far (but, the tires held). Maybe you can work with me on this some this next week...no, won't sell my daughter (today was her first communion and she looked like an ANGEL), but my Harley is another story....:thumbsup:

If you want to keep your stator cover off the track you need to raise the suspension. Leave the front stock height, but raise the rear using links and possibly a 190/55 rear tire (or both).

:beerchug:

If you want to keep your stator cover off the track you need to raise the suspension. Leave the front stock height, but raise the rear using links and possibly a 190/55 rear tire (or both).

:beerchug:

You are gonna have to explain that one a little more. Raise how much? I kinda like the height of my bike now, or is being on my tippy toes for that purpose? Links? Where/Brand/How much, etc?

Thanks!

Back