Maxton LSR race update

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
The good, the bad, and what ever else I could remember...

The trip down was rain, rain, and thinderstorms. My wife and I left at 04:00 Friday morning. She slept through the worst of it and when she woke up around 09:00 in Virginia the sun had come out. I told her to stay awake for the rest of the ride so the weather would stay sunny. Sure enough it worked. :cheerleader:

We rolled into Tech on Friday afternoon around 14:30. I thought getting there earlier than normal would mean short tech lines. I think alot of others had the same idea. :banghead:

Plenty of time to take some pics of the tech line.

P4035549.jpg

P4035548.jpg

P4035551.jpg

P4035553.jpg

P4035554.jpg

P4035556.jpg

While waiting online I chatted with a some of the regulars and meet someone new. A rookie airman named Kevin stationed in NJ making his first LSR attempt aboard his red ZX-14. :welcome:

Yes, a Kawi and I didn't hold it against him. :laugh: I'll help out anyone who's willing to listen and he was very grounded with realistic goals for his first event. I gave him a complete run down of how things run and what he could expect. He was a little surprised how few 14's (you can count them on one hand) were attending the event. He also understood the busa dominance very well.

During tech I had a few issues to contend with all were minor. The wheel weights on my rear whel felt a little loose and required a little cleaning and then a secure piece of tape to secure them tight to the wheel.

Now for the interesting bit of tech. The lanyard/teather kill switch. I've had the same one for years now and it's always passed tech. For anyone going over 200mph three seperate tech officials have to inspect your bike and sign off. The first tech passed my lanyard. The second tech who was Todd, the lead motorcycle tech, carefully streched the coiled lanyard and then noticed at the point where it's crimped to the ring it looked thin. Next thing I know Todd has the end of the lanyard right at it's mounting point and twisted/rolled the lanyard between two finger and it broke right off. I got a big FAIL and a broken lanyard for that. ::11

It was a blessing though as I would rather fix/replace a worn lanyard than have it fail during an emergency. Everyone should check their lanyard each season to make sure it's up to snuff. :director: The plastic coil lanyard don't last forever.

After my minor fixes I passed tech and was ready to race Saturday morning. :cheerleader:

Saturday started real slow. I had planned on testing my air shifter and doing a few tuning runs as preparation to running all out on Sunday. On my ride up to the staging lanes I figured I would try the push button air shifter. I roll up the rpm's in first and hit the button.... nothin' ???

Hmmmmm. I had bench tested it prior to leaving but that was the first chance I had to try it on the bike in the real world. My thought was that I may have set a min rpm for it to function so I would try it again during my first run and see what happens.

We all waiting in line from 08:30 until around 12:30 when the Ambulance finally showed up and we could start the race. Start time is normally at 09:00 but I guess the first aid crew slept in that day. :moon:

Finally at the start line, the course is clear, and the starter gives me the go, "the course is yours!" My launch goes nice n smooth with the new clutch. The revs climb fast and it's time to shift. I hit the button... nothin'! A milisecond later and my revs are bouncing off the limiter. I quickly foot shift into second and the revs climb like a billy goat on steroids. My shiftlight is lite and I try the button again.... nothin'! Another bouncy bounce on the limiter and I foot shift to third. This time I'm sorta' ready if the shift button doesn't work and have my foot under the shifter arm. The shift light comes on and I'm bouncing on the limiter once more! A quick foot shift into fourth and now I've got some real speed starting to build. At this point I know the air shifter has failed and have to resort to foot shifting as usual. I blast past the finish line, roll off the throttle, and grab a fist full of brakes. I knew it was a crappy run but I just told myself I'll foot shift as usual and just get my tuning runs in for the day. I had all night to work on the shifter and will correct things before the morning.

On my way up the pit road wife/my crew chief is giving me the cut throat signal. I knew this wasn't good and headed for our pit area. Sure enough I look down to my right, and my boot and leg are covered in oil. The whole right side of the bike beyond the fairing is covered in oil. There's a good amount in my belly pan as well and my back tire has a nice coating as well. My wife comes over and says she saw smoke on my shutdown after the finish line.

The engine felt fine on the way to the pit so I knew I didn't hole the case or drop a valve. I did have oil every where though. I pulled the lower fairing and found the culprit.

P4045558.jpg

P4045559.jpg

Its amazing how these things just pop up, good outing! There is always next time!

My race weekend ended before I could even get started. That's racing :bowdown::thumbsup:

I checked my logger to see my tune. Another semi-expected shocker. I was running rich. I spent the rest of the event helping others, spectating, doing volunteer work (the infamouns "kitty-litter shuffle") and coaching a rookie on his ZX-14.

Things for me to ponder until the next race:

1. My inital run was 208.*** mph on a run with a cold tire, missed 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts, and a A/F ratio of 10.9:1 on the top end, I'm running a NA engine not a turbo so this is waaaay to fat.

2. I'll have to inspect things to determine what caused that crappy sand cast aluminum cover to crack. It may even have happened when I started the bike... dunno yet.

3. That tiny crack allowed a good amount of oil to spew all over the place. Sounds like crank case pressure may be the cause. I'll have to think about a better crank case vent/evac system. My current check-valve and catch can and filter aren't up to the job.

A big thanks to Brock's performance and their sponsorship :bowdown: I hope next race I'll have some better results to pass along.

And to my wife/crew chief for allowing me to do what I do and supporting me in so many ways. :bowdown:

Also to Ryan at Schnitz racing for all of the little things they provide for all of us. :cheerleader:

My wife said that for the next event she wants this lil toy as her pit ride :laugh: It's for sale by the owner but I didn't have the nerve to ask the price.

P4055637.jpg

with so many fellow racers there more than a few offered a replacement cover, gasket, a run to get oil, their hands and tools if needed as well.

Honestly I didn't want to do it. I'm very comfortable with the specific oil I run (which isn't available localy). I didn't feel comfortable to just pull the cover, glance around, and slap a new one cover on and race. I would rather really do a thorough inspection and find the root cause. Alot of others agreed with my assesment saying it was the safest call to make but that they might not have been able to make that same decision.

I tend to play things safe. I do run risk but only risks caluclated in my favor. There's always another race in the future.
so what happend did you day finish there or you got it fix?

now on to more pics from the event:

btw, Kevin on his ZX-14.... Bone stock, speedo healer, some M4 slip ons, and a double bubble screen ended up running 184.*** :cheerleader: pretty damn good for a rookie who's 6' 5" or more tall. I think the LSR bug bite him good and he'll be back again! :beerchug:

P4055611.jpg

P4055618.jpg

P4055619.jpg

P4055620.jpg

P4055660.jpg

P4055647.jpg

P4055661.jpg

I want to add a special congrats to Bill of Wild Bill Racing! :bowdown:

He was going for a 250mph naked run to claim a sanctioned event 250+ run to obtain his AA license. He had done 254.*** at Texas the week before but since it's not a sanctioned event it's not truly recognized. He ended up blowing a rod through his case in a bug puff of smoke around the 3/4 mark. He knew it was a break or bust run/tune.

On Saturday night Scott Guthrie, The Sulton of Speed, presented Bill with a plaque for gaining entry into the most elite sit-on motorcycle club in the world. There are only six or so people that can lay claim to breaking the 250mph barrier and Bill is one of them.

Congrats Bill :bowdown:

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

P4045577.jpg

The 208 for most is respectable but when you can easily foot shift teathing 211.9's all motor a 208 isn't a highlight for myself. :dozingoff: It is, what it is though. I like to give you folks the good, the bad and everything in between. :beerchug::thumbsup:

another positive highlight I had for myself was while chatting with Scott Guthrie he asked me to show him my tuck. His assesments are not to be taken lightly because of his decades of LSR knowledge. I hoped on my bike assumed my tuck position and waited for his critique. With a slight hmmm he says,"well, I can't make any improvements on that". :beerchug:

I did 213.7 out the box in Texas last year it is a good number out the door and 212.7 at Maxton out the door last year.
you cheat... you have a shop/dyno and probably 1 or 2 bikes under your belt :rofl: looking forward to your next assault with the Busa however :)

Back