05, 2800 Miles and running worse please help??

miserycaptain

Donating Member
Registered
Hello,

I purchased an 05 recently that has done more looking pretty than cruising around. I bought it two months ago and it was stalling at idle. Shortly after with sea foam, and several other Suzuki recommended additives, it is running worse. Smells like fuel through exhaust. I changed the fuel pump to be sure it was good and it was. I checked the plugs and they looked dry and tan. I am thinking injectors and wondering whether I can change them myself. How tough is it to remove the throttle body and how easy is it to mess up with reasonable mechanical talent? Suzuki estimates 4-7 hundred dollars for this repair and I hate giving that money away but, I have gone as far as I know comfortably to no avail.

Sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. Last several weeks it was breaking up at low RPM but would react perfectly under throttle. Am I on track with injectors and if so, how can I find OEM replacements so I can at least purchase the parts and have them install them if necessary. I rode this bike 6 months ago before I bought it and it ran great. Please help me, I want to ride my BUSA without loosing all my money and I want to have this perfect machine act like the MoNsTeR it can be!!

Sorry, it had 2800 miles when I bought it in November. It has 3,400 miles now. Like I said, got worse...It is Bone stock, exhaust and all.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Dave

I would drain the tank and start with fresh gas.
Check the air filter and see if it is clogged.
Try and change out the plugs with new ones.
The fuel filter may be clogged, but you did change out the fuel pump, so unless you had 2 like that....

Just looking for the obvious first.

If it still does it, might be the injectors, or a bad coil.
They can be found on ebay sometimes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I drained and flushed the tank twice before new fuel pump with same result. AIr filter is new. Plugs looked good but I will try that. I don't know what else it could be. Stealerships scare me!

If there is a bad coil then that might do it too.
Here is the way to test the coils:

Let us know what you find.

Scan10001_edited.jpg

Scan10003_edited.jpg

Here is another way to check them from another manual:

When re-installing, make sure all of the connections are good and the boot is pushed down fully onto the plug (be careful they will break).

Scan10001_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Troubleshooting Gremlins can be frustrating. Check your coils like Mike described, if all is well move on to the fuel system. Sitting for most of it's life leads me to bet on a clogged injector. If you haven't already, download the online shop manual and read through how the system as a whole works (pretty fascinating) and the test procedures for different things.
It's at times like this I realize how fortunate I am to have a borderline genius level bike mechanic who owns the shop just up the street from my house.:bowdown:

Thanks for responding. I drained and flushed the tank twice before new fuel pump with same result. AIr filter is new. Plugs looked good but I will try that. I don't know what else it could be. Stealerships scare me!

Was thier any rust on the inside of the tank??? Do you have another good running Busa you could swap ECU's with real quick to eliminate it as the cause???

So much help, thank you all but like HillbillyTom, I am trying to get to know a trustworthy local mechanic. I will test the coils today. Mike 1180, Thank you, those a great diagrams. I found the manual online for the 99-2000 Busa but nothing layer than that that wasn't at a cost.

No rust in the tank at all and the fuel pump is working fine as I exchanged it with a known working one with the same result. Suzuki charges $88.00 an hour for anything they do to it and that adds up quickly.It seems the treatments they suggested have made it worse in that it does not want to clear up in the high RPM's now either but rather stutter all the way through. I don't have access to another ECU as BUSA1166 recommended and have not done cylinder compression.

You guys and this site is so great and I thank you all for your help very much. I am passionate about this thing running right. I love the bike now I want to love riding it as I have only had it since November! I am in Florida and the road is calling me!

Dave

Last edited:
Gummed up fuel pressure regulator, and possibly injectors......if it was sitting that long varnish has contaminated everything....it has spark or it wouldn't do any of that rpm stuff....need to get your spray stabilized and that has a lot to do with adequately cleaning the fuel system. Get a can of Berryman Chemtool (screw top can). Pour half in on a full fuel tank, run through and repeat with other half. Do it at least twice. :super: Change plugs, and you should be all set !!! :super:

If there was a problem with a coil, wouldn't one of the effected cylinders indicate that by the effected plug appearing different than the rest? They all were dry and tan.

I found the manual online for the 99-2000 Busa but nothing layer than that that wasn't at a cost

The manual for the '99-2000 is correct for all years of Gen 1s. Only difference is the speed restriction starting in 2001 and the steel subframe that replaced the aluminum ones on the '99-'00 models.

So much help, thank you all but like HillbillyTom, I am trying to get to know a trustworthy local mechanic. I will test the coils today. Mike 1180, Thank you, those a great diagrams. I found the manual online for the 99-2000 Busa but nothing layer than that that wasn't at a cost.

No rust in the tank at all and the fuel pump is working fine as I exchanged it with a known working one with the same result. Suzuki charges $88.00 an hour for anything they do to it and that adds up quickly.It seems the treatments they suggested have made it worse in that it does not want to clear up in the high RPM's now either but rather stutter all the way through. I don't have access to another ECU as BUSA1166 recommended and have not done cylinder compression.

You guys and this site is so great and I thank you all for your help very much. I am passionate about this thing running right. I love the bike now I want to love riding it as I have only had it since November! I am in Florida and the road is calling me!

Dave
where in Florida are you??? I am in Miami and my bike is hold position on the air strip waiting on parts an paint.

I put off going to the Stealership today and took my Son fishing. I have been struggling with this for 2 months and hoping after many treatments for the fuel system, plug check, fuel pump replacement, I wondered if I should go on Ebay and buy coils, a used throttle body with rail and injectors and the ECU. Still be cheaper than how I will come out not having a Friend in the business. And, I don't mind paying them for what I really need but is that what I am going to get and be charged for? They want $200.00 to install my framesliders??? :banghead:

I rode this thing 6 months ago and it was fine. He told me it was running rough when I bought it but I wanted it badlly enough to convince myself I could fix it know it was stock and been relatively left alone it's whole life. I give up, I gotta surrender it to them on Tuesday and see what they say. Thanks again for sending me in there to the wolves with a lot more knowledge than I had prior to joining this awesome group.

Thanks again everyone for taking your time to help, I appreciate it very much, :thumbsup:

Dave

Back