Winter starting up

Better to have water in ur oil then bad gas in Fuel injection system u can always ride bike for a few miles and burn out Water trust me always turn bike on better then changing Fuel injection, 44mm throttle bodies!!!!!! Turn bike on for an half hour every 3 weeks

Ive been starting mine up every other day . I have it up on the stands and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes untill the cooling fan comes on, then once a week i put the rear tire down on a set of rubber rollers and run it like i am driving it down the road. I run thru to 4 gear and then back down to 1st gear, twist the throttle a few times to p*** off the nieghbors and then shut it off.

Living in Calgary and getting to -40 in the winter I have kept all my bikes on stands in the winter for years and have started every one for at least 30 min and have run it in a few gears during that time. I have had bad gas ruin my fuel system on another bike I did not start during the winter and after the bill to repair I will never let it go through another winter again without starting.

just my
:2cents:

That was
:easy:

Living in Calgary and getting to -40 in the winter I have kept all my bikes on stands in the winter for years and have started every one for at least 30 min and have run it in a few gears during that time. I have had bad gas ruin my fuel system on another bike I did not start during the winter and after the bill to repair I will never let it go through another winter again without starting.

Supposed to be plus 1 degree Celsius on Thursday and Sunday next week.
Starting mine on both days.

bottom line is this...
unless you get the oil to sufficent temp to boil off all the moisture you are just fooling yourself as to all the benefit you are doing by "running" the bike.. Fuel will hold 90 days easily and longer if the tank is topped off..

However, running the bike long enough to warm up but NOT get the oil over 220 is just putting crap in the crankcase.. and doing little or nothing for the bike..

Long term storage (18 months /longer) is murder on engine seals etc but you are way ahead to leave the engine off..

bottom line is this...
unless you get the oil to sufficent temp to boil off all the moisture you are just fooling yourself as to all the benefit you are doing by "running" the bike.. Fuel will hold 90 days easily and longer if the tank is topped off..

However, running the bike long enough to warm up but NOT get the oil over 220 is just putting crap in the crankcase.. and doing little or nothing for the bike..

Long term storage (18 months /longer) is murder on engine seals etc but you are way ahead to leave the engine off..

I absolutely agree.
Make sure it gets hot.
If not, better not to run it.
It doesn't take a long time to get it hot in a garage on fast idle, when the temp is above freezing, and no air flow around the engine or rad.

Part of it is I miss the sound and I like to hear her run every couple of weeks.
....Going through withdrawls.
I also pump my brakes and clutch a few times to make sure the seals don't dry out.
Probably doesn't do much, but doesn't hurt

Nice and warm here now; -25 Deg C (-13 F) :hot:

20080105.jpg

Last edited:
bottom line is this...

+10

Back