New Gear Problem

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
OK folks, Ive got a stupid question for those of you with similiar gear. Last week I got my new Alpinestars Track Leather Pants and Sidi Vertigo Boots. Both the pants & boots fit really nice and comfy, boots are kinda snug with leather pant leg with shin guard stuffed in then zipped up but felt OK, that is until about 8-9 hours later I noticed the main zipper assembly of the pant leg was like digging into my leg cause of how snug the boot is. Man let me tell you the next day their is a massive red mark/abrashion and what feels like permanant indentations on both legs from those damn zippers. Why in the hell would they use such large zippers/hardware on these pants when they know they are designed to be worn inside a snug fitting racing style boot? I love the pants and I love the boots just can't handle a chunk of metal (zipper mechanism) being implanted into my leg in order to provide maximum protection in the unlikely event of a crash. Any thoughts or solutions to this problem? Anyone else encounter this problem? The only solution I can think of is to find someone locally that does tailor work with leather and see if they can remove that monstrousity (the zipper) and possibly replace it with velcro, not that I should have to do this with a brand new $380 pair of pants but I really don't see any other solution.

105.jpg

I dont have those pants but i do have sidi vertigo boots and 2 sets of leathers. I have not had this problem but they make socks that might fix the problem for you. I think you can go to newenough.com and get them. they are with the sidi boots section as i recall. hope this helps

also my vertigo airs have a calf tightener in the back. if yours has that you could loosen that up a bit. that might help

Socks might make a difference, my Sidi's are adjustable so I have not encountered the same problem...

Calf tensioner/adjuster isn't gonna have any effect either as the zipper of the leg closure rests just above the ankle, not anywhere near the calf, this is where it rests inside the boot.

119.jpg

I have had the exact same problem with my Dainese pants inside my Sidi's. What I found was that I had to position the zipper just a bit further back to keep it from rubbing. First time it happened, it hurt like heck afterwards. Learned my lesson. If you try positioning the zipper just a little further back, it should be ok. Well, at least that worked for me.

Aw, c'mon now! Quit snivelin' !

Tape it up, and keep ridin'!
laugh.gif

Don't sweat it, you always have to get accustomed to new gear. Sometimes even with the most expensive piece of gear, you may need a work-around.

+1 on watching the zipper position. I had a similar situation with my Joe Rocket Speed Master (perforated, of course) pants.

+2 on the gear position. Also, make sure the zipper tab is folded flat against the zipper, not hanging down. It should protrude less. I have Sidi boot also. I have to bend my knees into the riding position before zipping up my boots. If I zip them while standing my leathers would sit too low in my boots.

+3 I also have Sidi's and I don't pull the zipper all the way down on my leathers. I leave maybe an inch or 1.5 inches unzipped. Still tucked well inside the boot and don't let the zipper pull hang down, make sure it's tucked against the closed zipper.

I have the Aplinestar Track pants and the Alpinestar SMX+ boots.  Absolutely no problem with the zipper.  My guess is the combination of the Aplinestar track pants and the Sidi boots is the problem.  And since other Sidi guys have experienced the same thing, it sounds like the boots may be the problem. Try only zipping the pants down 3/4s of the way.

If the Alpinestar track pants are a 33 or 34 waist, I'd be interested  
winkold.gif

Good points guys, that provides a little hope. I did oversleep yesterday, kinda threw the leathers & boots on in a hurry so I wouldn't miss the morning meet, heck I didn't even pay any attention to the position of the pull tab on the zipper, maybe that's what worked into the skin after 8 hours, if left in the downward position with the zipper all the way down it does hang over the protective leather strip behind the zipper, I'll try it with the zipper not zipped down all the way and see if that resolves the problem, thanks again guys.
thumb_up.gif
smile.gif

It appears from your first photo the pants are to long for you? The shin guard is completely inside the boot and the puck is almost touching the boot top. The zipper on the pants should not go down that far on the ankle.

Make sure the inner flap under zipper is flat and not allowing zipper to contact leg directly.

Back