20 cent RPM eliminator

High-Gain Busa

Registered
After looking at the Zener diode mod which I never got a chance to get to I pondered what the voltage threshold was for the different gear indications. The 5th and 6th gear voltage difference is quite large, 4.39v to 4.72v. The resistance to achieve that is even larger, 6,800 ohms for 5th and 15,000 for 6th. Changing the equivalent resistance is very easy and affects a higher resistance much more than a lower resistance.

So I said to myself, SELF... let's leave everything as it is and just create a lower resistance for 6th that won't affect 1st through fifth. This is what my calculator came up with that is also easily accessible at any Rat Shack store.

22,000 ohms in parallel with the existing circuit will drop the 6th gear resistance from 15,000 ohms to a very acceptable 8,918 ohms. Much too low for the ECM to realize it's in 6th. The kicker is using that high of resistance, it doesn't affect the lower resistance values enough to alter what the ECM thinks is 1st through fifth so you get 1N23455 and no RPM limiter.

In my testing, I once in a while even got a momentary 6th gear indication and it quickly goes back to 5th which I thought was kind of cool letting me know I did hit 6th.

THIS IS NOT A TRE MOD! although they are just as easy to do but will always indicate 5th. I have my opinion about TRE's and don't see the need for extra timing below 4000 RPM. On a hot day where the air is thinner (always a little thinner here in Denver) you don't want a crap load of timing at low RPM's under heavy load unless you want to create ventilation holes in the tops of your pistons.

Once I crack the throttle, the rest of the gears never see anything below 4000 RPM anyway  
laugh.gif

This mod can be made as pretty as you want... you can even install a switch if you want to turn it on and off. This is a no frills 20 cent mod that achieves the same thing as units that are wrapped in PVC, drowned in epoxy (so you can't see the goodies inside) and plug in using the OEM connectors.

DISCLAIMER:
Although this mod works on my 2008 Busa in eliminating the rev limiter, I am not responsible if it gives your Busa more speed, makes it spit fire and burns ZX14's behind it to the ground.  
super.gif

soldered.jpg

Plugged back in.
Thanks for posting this thread.This is some great info that a few people seem to have kept to themselves so they can charge 70-80 dollars to mod our GPS for us. Not sure if others did it the same way but if this works for you I'll do it this way cause it's cheap but most of all I don't have to tear apart the clutch and more to dig out the GPS. Can you tell me where on the right side of the bike is this conector? Did you solder it or just pry open the terminal ends and recrimp them?

The TRE mod gave you the 5th gear map and timing in all gears all the time to trick the ECU,(the cumputer)to not see 6th gear and not be restricted on top speed as this only happened when the ECU saw that you were in 6th gear. Instead of 1N23456 the computer with a TRE sees 5N55555. This mod still fools the ECU but only is modified in 6th gear and the ECU will see 1N23455.The only change is 6th to 5th. 1 through 5 are still the same. Hope this help your undersatanding of a TRE mod vs a GPS mod (gear position sensor).......not GPS, global positioning sensor OK!

Your resistor changing resistance of all gears, not just 6. which makes it just the same as basis TRE.

GPS mod is changing resisting of only 6th gear position not all of them.
You are mistaken with you calculations, your resistor is cost effective TRE nothing more.

Your resistor changing resistance of all gears, not just 6. which makes it just the same as basis TRE.

You are mistaken with you calculations, your resistor is cost effective TRE nothing more.
+1

I'll buy tuesday the zener for the zenerdiodemod (topic), but I am sure it will works; someone here tried it on his busa2 and claimed that 6>5 and all the other gears remain the same+gearindicator still functions(except 6>5).

22,000 ohms in parallel with the existing circuit will drop the 6th gear resistance from 15,000 ohms to a very acceptable 8,918 ohms. Much too low for the ECM to realize it's in 6th. The kicker is using that high of resistance, it doesn't affect the lower resistance values enough to alter what the ECM thinks is 1st through fifth so you get 1N23455 and no RPM limiter.
If this part is true then it does not affect lower gears just 6th

Vic

I appreciate your input. My calculations are made in parallel with the existing GP switch intact. This creates a new equivalent resistance as you will see below.

1st / 560 becomes 546
2nd / 800 becomes 771
3rd / 1500 becomes 1404
4th / 2700 becomes 2404
5th / 6800 becomes 5194
6th / 15,000 becomes 8918

The voltage drop created and what the ECM now sees on pin 23 is too little to affect its decision making in 1st through 5th. Mathematically anything between 12,500 ohms and 25,000 ohms will work but 22,000 ohms is a readily available resistor at Rat Shack... 5 for 99 cents.

If you look at this thread, you will see how to do the TRE mod. It takes the GP switch out of the pic and puts a 5th gear resistor, 6800 ohms in the circuit.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=93475

BIKE DUDE

The connector is actually clipped to the inside of the Left frame rail very close to the weld, see pic below. You can parallel in to the red and black side of the connector or the pink and black side. The female connectors on the red and black are very easy to remove.

Yes, I soldered but while you're at Rat Shack, you could pick up a Quick-Splice kit also pictured and do it that way. I wash my bike a lot and do not want water to wick into the wires so I chose to go past the weatherpac connectors rather than tap into them. If you tap, I would wrap them very well.

As said in the first post, you can trick this out and spend as much time as you want on this. This is a 15 minute mod and the tap procedure is probably only 5-10 minutes.

Everyone else... Thanks for the support... We had 5" of snow Friday but it's suppose to be in the 60's today and low 70's tomorrow so I will test even further. (This is Denver... If you live here I need not explain our strange weather) testing yesterday was on the spool stand and up and down the street a few times... Worked very well.

where.jpg

I wish I knew more about this stuff. Sounds good but I just don't know enough about electrical schematics.
beerchug.gif

Back