1" Rear raise mod

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
I know this has been discussed many times on the org but once it goes past page 4, it kinda drifts away. Now that I've done everything else for canyon/twisty handling, the last logical mod to do was install the shorter rear shock arms. The following pics show the experience....

1st is the 1/2" solid rod inserted through the center of the swingarm axle (must secure/elevate the bike without the rear stand since the swingarm assembly must be able to move during the shock arms r&r).

P1000681.JPG

start with the rear stand to get the bike elevated

P1000682.JPG

since the rear stand doesn't get the motorcycle high enough for the jackstands, improvise for that last 1"

P1000684.JPG

other side (this was actually in place before I jacked the other side)

P1000683.JPG

the jacking process....note...the rear stand begins to support less weight, but do not remove it a)for security b)it is used later as a lifting device to align the bolt holes for the shorter shock arms

P1000685.JPG

now that the weight of the bike is stabilized, begin the bolts and OEM arms removal(14 and 17mm)

P1000686.JPG

OEM vrs replacements (shorter means higher in rear)

P1000687.JPG

it's done and I'm going on a hard chargen ride tomorrow!

P1000689.JPG

wow, it'll never roll off the kickstand now, with or without the kickstand mod!
BTW, no chain adjustment required and 45 minutes to do it.

I'll post later to report on the difference. Raydog

P1000688.JPG

Nice. Thanks for the explanation. The aftermarket links on my bike have 3 holes in them. Right now they are in the center position, so I can raise my bike one more inch. Sweet!

i did the kickstand mod...but i want to raise mine an inch...hmm...

Great mod.  
ThumbsUp.gif
 That and the 42 tooth rear sprocket are my favorite mods so far, and they're both fairly inexpensive  
smile.gif

Thanks guys, I'm going up into the mountains in the morning....also got replacement PP's so gotta scuff them in AND hope the snow is NOT on the roads! Coffee tastes sooo good when it's 50 degrees out up there. Raydog

Careful with the new tires and the +1 links...she's gonna turn in a lot quicker
beerchug.gif

Nice. Thanks for the explanation. The aftermarket links on my bike have 3 holes in them. Right now they are in the center position, so I can raise my bike one more inch. Sweet!
I doubt it. All of the 3-hole dogbones I see are made for stock, 1" drop, and 2" drop. Yours being in the middle would set it at a 1" drop. Setting on the inner-most hole would put it at stock height.

clap.gif
raydog!

Back