Totalled bike rehab/rebuild

mitchelldanger

Registered
Got the bike back from impound and I would like to know the first steps to get it back to kicking ass and taking names. The bike is in much better shape than I was expecting. Clutch cover now has a big hole and anything superficial is going to have to be replaced, but everything looks to be fine.

Frankly, I most likely will lose my license due to the crash but I can still maintain the obsession while I work to get my license back.

I need to know what steps I need to take to ensure the bike is able to be rebuilt or not or should be parted out. I know several of you have done this before...maybe even more than once!

A rough sketch of how to go about starting a rebuild would fantastic!

/\/\ this is good advice.

When you get it back together and ready to ride, before you do, perhaps a bike training course might be a good idea to refresh your riding skills.

Did you let your parents know?

Pics...

Most importantly, start with checking the forks and frame for straightness. Everything else can be easily repaired or replaced.
Forks can be checked easy enuff. The frame...you may have to be satisfied with a test ride to determine that.I argued with an' insurance company once that would not pay out for this and that.Found a company in California that specializes in bike frames.You have to tear down to bare frame,ship to them,blah blah blah. Easier to buy a used papered frame somewhere.
As Dustin said,the rest is just plug and play. Are you having insurance cover all the cost? Did you have collision? If its a decent deductible its worth considering but don't forget to factor in higher premium costs for the future if applicable.
Rubb.

The love of motorcycling doesn’t always translate. I loved my parents to death but rode an RM125 that they didn’t know I owned all over So Cal for two years. Kept it at a friend’s house. Years later I told my dad and he thanked me for keeping it a secret lol. We had a good laugh about it.

The love of motorcycling doesn’t always translate. I loved my parents to death but rode an RM125 that they didn’t know I owned all over So Cal for two years. Kept it at a friend’s house. Years later I told my dad and he thanked me for keeping it a secret lol. We had a good laugh about it.

If I were in your dad's position, I would have been upset...I look at it this way, if a kid will keep something like this from their parents, what else would they decide to keep from them?

Now being upset and understanding are two entirely different animals...

Took off the fairings and inspected everything, especially forks and frame. No shearing and no bending and no visible cracks anywhere. The bike is almost fine! I have no idea how. Lucky, I guess.

Overview of the damage:
-there's total fairing damage (not pictured here)
-snapped a fairing bolt head off
-left exhaust pipe is toast
-the clutch cover was scraped to death
-gas tank got scuffed and dented some more
-I snapped off my left footpeg
-both shift and clutch levers
-damaged the end caps on the handlebars
-both rear turn signal lights scuffed badly
-right front turn signal light housing is damaged

All if that being said, if I had a clutch cover and replaced the oil, this baby will run! While I have to replace everything, I'm sure I'll have to replace the clutch, and all of the other aforementioned issues can be managed.

I'm almost as lucky as I am stupid. Yay me!

Anything I'm missing?

20200602_175624.jpg

20200602_175609.jpg

20200602_175641_HDR.jpg

Took off the fairings and inspected everything, especially forks and frame. No shearing and no bending and no visible cracks anywhere. The bike is almost fine! I have no idea how. Lucky, I guess.

Overview of the damage:
-there's total fairing damage (not pictured here)
-snapped a fairing bolt head off
-left exhaust pipe is toast
-the clutch cover was scraped to death
-gas tank got scuffed and dented some more
-I snapped off my left footpeg
-both shift and clutch levers
-damaged the end caps on the handlebars
-both rear turn signal lights scuffed badly
-right front turn signal light housing is damaged

All if that being said, if I had a clutch cover and replaced the oil, this baby will run! While I have to replace everything, I'm sure I'll have to replace the clutch, and all of the other aforementioned issues can be managed.

I'm almost as lucky as I am stupid. Yay me!

Anything I'm missing?

View attachment 1620445

View attachment 1620446

View attachment 1620447
Ouch and double ouch...it can be fixed at least...lots and lots of parts out there for these bikes...

YOU are a lucky fella...next time wear gear.

Ouch and double ouch...it can be fixed at least...lots and lots of parts out there for these bikes...

YOU are a lucky fella...next time wear gear.
@mitchelldanger
Next time ... there better not be a next time for you, young man, or I'm taking the key away (the parent in me)
:poke: :race:

Really happy to learn the damage isn't that bad. The members on this forum are an excellent source for parts ... even titanium.

And Yellow09 is right: wear the gear

Its not that bad, but that hole, is not in the clutch cover, That is the stator cover.
Needs to be removed and make sure there is no engine case damage
As well as the Stator and the rotor are both still intact
Yeah, that is the stator, huh? I should know because I've had it replaced before. Time to get my multimeter out!

Looks like the left bar took a blow, make sure it's not bent.
Yes, I will make sure to double and triple check anything that sustained an impact. Good call!

@mitchelldanger
Next time ... there better not be a next time for you, young man, or I'm taking the key away (the parent in me)
:poke: :race:

Really happy to learn the damage isn't that bad. The members on this forum are an excellent source for parts ... even titanium.

And Yellow09 is right: wear the gear
Lessons learned! Fortunately, I'm still kicking and learning. That was a big humility check.

Cool! This will give me an opportunity to learn the bike and it's components and direct what type of rider I want to be. You guys know a lot and I'm thankful for that! :)

Back