Update to bike rebuild

deathshand

Registered
I know you guys are pretty honest with reviews. So I have come to the experts to critic my first rebuild. As you can see the powder coating came out good. The extension is roughly 7 inch or so. That are went well. Then I tried to paint the bike in a buddy's garage. Primer, seal, and basecoat went on perfect. The clear was a total disaster. :( . I came back the next day to find orange peel over all of the parts. It was so bad it actually looked intentional. I was a destroyed. But it's riding season and I have to ride before i go postal. I plan on putting it back together and hitting the open roads. So take a look. you can't tell how bad it looks in the pictures. I will post more as I complete everything.

SSPX0154.jpg

SSPX0155.jpg

Aside from your paint issues, it looks great.

What brand of clutch cover did you go with?

depending on how much clear u put on, u can just wet sand the orange peel away.

Agreed, sand the orange peel down and buff her smooth. Just dont sand into your paint and you will be fine.

I got the clutch cover done a while back by an org member. After powder coating I decided to rebuild it with new gaskets. I also took the leds out. No need having light in there.

Here are the rest of my pics. Dont know what I was thinking when I placed the "suzuki" decal in the front. The hot garage and a case of beer will cause some visual impairment. I will take it off tonight. My black-to-red windscreen is not on yet, but I'm beginning to like it.

SSPX0157.jpg

SSPX0158.jpg

SSPX0159.jpg

SSPX0160.jpg

SSPX0161.jpg

If your asking does it look bad I say heck no! I like the color combo and if the orange peel is even say it was intentional until you can redo it.

Make sure you have a thick coat of clear on it then wet sant it smooth and buff it out. I usually start out with 1000 grit and work down to 2500 grit before switching to compounds. Take your time. You should be able to do the bike in an day. Don't go into the color or you'll have another set of issues to deal with.

Here's an article on the process on a car. Same process for a bike.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Cut-and-Buff-Your-Car-Paint-Job&id=663909

Last edited:
If you are seasonal rider ..... forget the little details an go ride it :poke: Leaves you with something to do next time it's time to let her rest :laugh:

I like it. Red and white go great together.
And yes like others said Orangepeel can be sanded down.

Back