1999 Sv650s Rebuild

Martin.UK

Registered
I'm going to start the rebuild of my wife little Sv650s.
I was ment to have started this last year but i had a heart attact in October.
I now suffer with AF, and getting the get up and go to start this project has been hard as its a full repair, rebuild and repaint.
The story behind this rebuild was my wife was forced off a roundabout by a 4x4 that did not stop and she went into the side of a van head-on.
My wife was not going to ride again after this, but still wanted her little Sv back
I bought the bike back from the insurance company and have now got all the parts to repair and rebuild it.
In was classed as a insurance loss category N (non-structural).
The Sv was a 1999/V reg with only 7,000 miles on it. I bought it off my MOT guy brother. It was yellow originally, but my wife loves the colour Purple.
I had to replace the fuel tank as it was to far gone to repair. found a really good tank on eBay for £100.
So Before i would let the wife ride it i went over it and replaced everything that i knew would need sorting and replacing. I also upgraded the reg/rec from one off a Honda CBF1000. She used it then for a couple of months till winter. Then over the winter i repainted it Purple for her and did the wheels, fork bottoms and rear hangers Silver. The bike was looking really good and the wife loved it.

Ok, lets get back to the rebuild. As i said i was able to buy all the parts i needed to repair the bike, even another pair of lower fairings. I was also able to find a HPi clear frame to rebuild it on to so it was not be an insurance loss repair once done. The new frame is only 19 days older than my wife bike. I paid top money for the frame which was £200 ($270 USD) as most were selling for less than half that. The reason i paid so much for the frame was it has less than 1000 miles on it, and the only record of its milage is the service book with the 600 mile first service done. I spoke to the first owner of the bike and he told me he had scared himself on it one day and put the bike away never to ride it again. Years went by and the first owner was moving so needed it gone. It was then sold to the guy i bought the frame off who broke it for part. When i bought the frame i got all the paperwork for the bike, i mean everything which was a plus in my book.

So my wife does not want this bike to use, she just wants to keep it like i am doing with my Red Kawasaki ZX9R.
I know i will be making this bike look better than new. But i want to change a couple of things, which i dont know if i should.
I'm keeping the bike its original colour which was Black (that was the colour of the bike the frame was from). But i want to paint the frame, Wheels, fork lowers, Hangers (front & rear) and swinging arm Black aswell. Should i do this or leave them the standard OEM colours ?. I am so on the fence about this. I know it would look better all Black, But the future value of the bike makes me think to keep them the OEM colour. Would it put you off buying a bike with these colour changes.

Here are some photos of the SV before and after its repaint and after the crash. There is also one of the bike the frame was from as well.

Sv650 SY 13.jpg
Sv650s.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg
20210317_125217.jpg
20210317_125225.jpg

This is getting harder to do, as i am now thinking of painting it Suzuki Heron black/red colours. And if i do that i am also thinking of fitting race fairings as well. So do i make it a suzuki heron "replica" or keep it totally OEM.

This is the race bodywork and also the heron paint i am thinking off.

sv650s bodywork.jpg
Barry Sheene Suzuki Heron.jpg
suzuki heron.jpg

I have been ignorant of this series of Suzuki , and just how good they are as a track and road bike . JHS Racing in UK has some serious SV track bikes they build and campaign , and that is how I discovered this honest performer . Good luck with the build , will be watching your progress mate .

I had an SV 650 and it is a great bike even in OEM form. It easily exceeds what it promises on paper and is an unusual experience for a Japanese bike. It reminds me of a classic Ducati with a V-twin engine and super quick handling. I looked for some time for its big brother the SV 1000, but gave up and went to the Bandit instead.

I would definitely go race replica on the make-over. IMO this is a bike that will reward upgrades to the wheels, brakes, and suspension with a super capable track/backroad burner. Not sure I would add the weight of the dual exhaust, especially on such a small displacement bike whose superpower is that it is light. I like the fairings shown on the race bike better than a lot of the TL/Busa-inspired stuff that's out there. The SV is an old-world racer, not a top-speed burner IMO.

So as i had the Gen1 sorted, i thought i better make a start on the SV to keep SWMBO happy.
So i spent the last 2 days sandblasting all the metal parts and got them etch primed.
I was lucky enought last year to find 1 oem side fairing decal, yesterday i found the second one i needed.
Going to keep it as near OEM as i can.
It will be nice us both having a 1999 Suzuki each.
And if she wants it in the house, she can fcuk off as she said no to me having the Busa indoors :D

So as i had the Gen1 sorted, i thought i better make a start on the SV to keep SWMBO happy.
So i spent the last 2 days sandblasting all the metal parts and got them etch primed.
I was lucky enought last year to find 1 oem side fairing decal, yesterday i found the second one i needed.
Going to keep it as near OEM as i can.
It will be nice us both having a 1999 Suzuki each.
And if she wants it in the house, she can fcuk off as she said no to me having the Busa indoors :D
I would take it she's not reading over your shoulder....??

I have got all the metal part now in high build primer and started to wet sand them . Even tho this bike was very low mileage, it must of been stored somewhere damp. The amount of pitting on the alloy needs a fair bit of work to get right. I wont do a half job on it, as i never do on the full rebuilds. It may take some time to sort, but there is no rush and it will keep me busy out of the wife way.

So today i got nearly all the metal part painted. I just have the main frame and Fork Lowers to paint.
Then the fun starts, Trying to remember how it goes back together. This is the only problem when you take your time and leave the bike in bits for so long. So its a good job i took some photos to help.

Back