Which Tire Size Wears Best?

one main question -
the rear wheel for show or hard, tight curves like in the rockys or similar

MY experiance is:
a. for the one who likes it, it's ok, but the agility of the bike is reduced
b. the 190/55 instead of 190/50 increases agility a bit because the chassis is thereby about 8 mm higher in the rear but the stability when driving straight ahead does not let down - even at high speeds of over 150 mph

c. foreword:
the haya is in the original trim relatively hard to steer into / arround corners - a bit of "like a train on rails"

- So I made mine for gemarn country road as agile as possible, by
1. - 760 mm super bike bar
2. - front 15 mm lower
3. - rear 30 mm higher
AND
4. - 5.5 x 17" rim (named "BOD" from gsx-r 600 / 750 srad) + tire 180/55
my exp. to 4. :
definitely NO loosing of stability at any speed !
no sliding in the rear even at very tight corners and scratching footrests !
Please take a look at the following pdf document, which shows the relationship between tire width and inclination .
the less width the tire has the faster you are at same inclination / skew (?) (in ° degrees)
the other way round - you need less inclination at same speed (as possibly your front man)

pdf : How does the (rear) tire width affect the driving behavior

URGENT HINT : the "BOD" rim (point 4.) only fits to Gen I hayabusa NOT to Gen II
What year gsxr 600 bolts to a Busa? New axle needed? Weight different? Inquiring minds will want to know

What year gsxr 600 bolts to a Busa? New axle needed? Weight different? Inquiring minds will want to know

the 5.5 BOD - rim is, so far i know, only from the GSX-R 600 built in 1997 - 2000
but sometimes the seller don´t correctly know what the sell.
ASK for the three letters "B O D" (bee oh dee)
If you can confirm that, then nothing can go wrong
(some german offers show as used bike also 750 srad but i am not sure if this is really right)
BOD is the theme!

for the change from 6.0 to 5.5"
you need nothing else but the BOD rim
any other parts of the busa fit 100% - bearings, axle, brake disc, brake disc bolts, sprocket holder
are the same like busa´s

at my former 00 busa i had the metzeler Z8 interact in 180/55 on that rim
on our test race track
foot rest scratching and NO slide or else
grip to the edge of the profile

including all other changes (front lower, rear higher, sb-bar) my busa was a pretty handy bike nearly like a bmw enduro named GS...

isn´t that GREAT ?

i would say YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !
biggest grin i can make :thumbsup:

one thing is very urgent :
the kind of tire in front
the sharper the profile of the front tire is the more handy the bike becomes - the Z8 was more round (ball) / less "sharper" than Z6 (egg) and my busa lost a bit fo handiness / agility
i felt this after changing both tires and a following test ride.

weight of bod rim is i think around 0.75 kg / 1.6 pounds less than haya´s rim - it´s not really a lot
even including the 180/55 tire the entire wheel weight is only arround 1.5 kg / 3 pound less than the haya 6"rim + 190/50 tire

uuups
nearly forgotten - the 180/55 is mathematically 8 mm larger in diameter than the 190/50
This raises the busa by 4 mm in the rear.

I’ve noticed something I didn’t expect with my Z. When I swapped the rear to a PR2 in the OEM size, 180/55, from the Dunlop that came with it I’ve noticed that the unused strip on the edges is larger than it was with the Dunlop. The Dunlop had a flatter profile and the Michelin is crowned ‘higher’ but I’m not riding any differently. Surprised me as they’re the same size.

I’ve noticed something I didn’t expect with my Z. When I swapped the rear to a PR2 in the OEM size, 180/55, from the Dunlop that came with it I’ve noticed that the unused strip on the edges is larger than it was with the Dunlop. The Dunlop had a flatter profile and the Michelin is crowned ‘higher’ but I’m not riding any differently. Surprised me as they’re the same size.
Terry , isn't the Gen 1 meant to have an 190/50 original fitment , so a 190/55 be the go for turning better ?

Back