Which Tire Size Wears Best?

BusaNS

Registered
I need a new tire. it has a 190 currently, but was thinking of going 200. would this wear out quicker?

The compound of the tread will make a far bigger difference in the wear than the size. You might look at trying a 190/55/17.

How do you ride the bike? Racing? Cruising?

Metzeler Roadtec 01. Great in the wet (and dry). Sport/touring tyre that won some top awards in the UK. I have them on my Busa and are wearing well. No such thing as Ultra high mileage tyres as there would be zero grip. Ride it like you stole it and enjoy it even more!!!!!

I run the avon tires. Most here don' like them but I do. My last set (storm 2 ultra) I got 14,000 miles out of and traction was fare. I am currently running the 3d xm and like it even better. They give me the amount of feed back I am looking for and I can drag the rear brake lever in the curves. Avon claims 15k miles out of them we will see.

A taller tire is more sporty but it won't last any better than a shorter tire. A taller tire will stay rounded better but you have to do some cornering to avoid a flat spot in the middle. I've used up to 200/55. A tall tire's compound is no thicker than a shorter tire. Taller tires sure do turn in with ease. You can feel that immediately. Taller is also more expensive and more rotating mass. Also not as good for wheelies and probably a little less comfortable for long rides since you will be pitched forward a bit more. Also a bit longer of a reach to the ground with your feet. 190/55s are about 10 mm higher in diameter. 200/55 about the same but will tend to be a tiny bit higher since the tire gets compressed more by the bead surfaces of the rim. For your purposes, staying with 190/50 is probably going to be best all around. Avon Storms or Continental road attack was always liked for long life but they don't have as good of grip.

A taller tire is more sporty but it won't last any better than a shorter tire. A taller tire will stay rounded better but you have to do some cornering to avoid a flat spot in the middle. I've used up to 200/55. A tall tire's compound is no thicker than a shorter tire. Taller tires sure do turn in with ease. You can feel that immediately. Taller is also more expensive and more rotating mass. Also not as good for wheelies and probably a little less comfortable for long rides since you will be pitched forward a bit more. Also a bit longer of a reach to the ground with your feet. 190/55s are about 10 mm higher in diameter. 200/55 about the same but will tend to be a tiny bit higher since the tire gets compressed more by the bead surfaces of the rim. For your purposes, staying with 190/50 is probably going to be best all around. Avon Storms or Continental road attack was always liked for long life but they don't have as good of grip.
Hi all. So if I run a 200/55 it will help with my turn in and be better on twisty roads?

I use to run a 190/55 on the stock 6.00" rim , for better cornering basically , the 55 aspect also raises gearing , overall I really enjoyed this size setup . When I updated the wheels , the rear is 6.25" so I ran Bridgestone 190/55 BT013 and loved the grip but have recently switched over to the 200 series tires . Currently running a Bridgestone RS10 200/55 specific for this size rim and love the feel these tires give , even though they are a compound down from the 013's new replacements , they fit the rim better . I had run a Pirelli SC 200/55 the third tire compound in the series , the street variant ( they make SC1 & 2 ) with matching front , and found it actually measured 193mm edge to edge , and was not nicely shaped on that rim because of this under sizing . This particular 200 series Pirelli tire would suit the stock rim very well and of note these tires provide great grip . The Bridgestone though is tall , and I have been trying out shorter gearing to compensate . I had been told this tire is roughly up to 2 teeth taller , so I at first tried 44t rear , and still felt tall so now I am trying 45t rear , probably try it out in a day or two . Something I have found about my particular setup is that 45t rear / 18t front is as big as I can fit with stock chain length . The tire is obviously large , and it is really tucked in a lot closer to the swingarm now , but also I have changed the axle adjuster blocks , and the adjuster bolts and larger flanged nut are not stock also . All this has reduced the available room and adjustment . I have heard some people like to run the Dunlop 200 sport series ? on stock Gen2 , and have heard of no complaints .

I use to run a 190/55 on the stock 6.00" rim , for better cornering basically , the 55 aspect also raises gearing , overall I really enjoyed this size setup . When I updated the wheels , the rear is 6.25" so I ran Bridgestone 190/55 BT013 and loved the grip but have recently switched over to the 200 series tires . Currently running a Bridgestone RS10 200/55 specific for this size rim and love the feel these tires give , even though they are a compound down from the 013's new replacements , they fit the rim better . I had run a Pirelli SC 200/55 the third tire compound in the series , the street variant ( they make SC1 & 2 ) with matching front , and found it actually measured 193mm edge to edge , and was not nicely shaped on that rim because of this under sizing . This particular 200 series Pirelli tire would suit the stock rim very well and of note these tires provide great grip . The Bridgestone though is tall , and I have been trying out shorter gearing to compensate . I had been told this tire is roughly up to 2 teeth taller , so I at first tried 44t rear , and still felt tall so now I am trying 45t rear , probably try it out in a day or two . Something I have found about my particular setup is that 45t rear / 18t front is as big as I can fit with stock chain length . The tire is obviously large , and it is really tucked in a lot closer to the swingarm now , but also I have changed the axle adjuster blocks , and the adjuster bolts and larger flanged nut are not stock also . All this has reduced the available room and adjustment . I have heard some people like to run the Dunlop 200 sport series ? on stock Gen2 , and have heard of no complaints .
So with the 200/55 I can expect superbike fun in the twistys ! even with my 12 inch over swing arm and a raked neck? LOL. I run a 200/50 for drags with a 120/60 17. For LSR I will run the 200/55 rear with the sane front tire.

So with the 200/55 I can expect superbike fun in the twistys ! even with my 12 inch over swing arm and a raked neck?

Well, that is obviously not set up for twisties so IDK if I would bother with a taller tire to improve handling. A taller tire increases potential top speed as ROADTOAD pointed out but that will depend on your sprocket gearing too, of course.

The 190/55s and 200/55s seem more oblique in shape when viewed straight on so they tip in easier (kind of like an egg falls over when stood on end). The elliptical shape is why I prefer them for wear longevity---assuming you wear the center faster, they can only wear closer to a circle since they are more oblique when new. Also the extra height in the rear improves turn in. A lot of road race bikes have increased rear ride height by shimming the rear shock or having an overall higher suspension. They also usually have a taller stock rear tire. A few millimeters of rear height makes a very noticeable difference. IDK if it is the case with the busa but the zx-14 which also comes stock with 190/50 rear tire is suggested to be replaced with a 190/55. So I've heard, anyway. Because of the more oval less circular cross section, a taller tire also has flatter side tread. This provides a larger contact patch which road racers generally agree (although the laws of physics don't) allows better cornering grip.

For you, you might keep a more aesthetically appealing rear tire after more burnouts but I don't know if it would amount to much improvement in your racing since it adds quite a bit of rotating weight. The main performance enhancement is sharper handling. It will make your stock speedo closer to accurate. It negates the stock speedo error on the 14. This may be why they calibrated the speedo high if the suggested replacement 190/55 runs true speed.

I've never tried anything but a 120/70 for the front. 120/60 must be a touch less round edge to edge which would do the opposite of everything a taller tire would.

That Mike , will be an interesting ride ...wild would be an understatement !!
Hi all. I was just kidding about the corner carving. It will be a street bike too. The 120/60 gives a little more room for the turbo & lowers the bike a little. I will run an 19 front and 43 to 45 rear For LSR a 20 front & if I can get a 36 to 38 rear if I can get a 36 tooth rear for my DYMAG rim. I just received my 12 inch over tail from Shark Skin to day. I went with an 08 up. It is wider than a 99 to 07. I hope it will put a little more down force on the rear tire over 220 mph. You know less tire spin.

Have tried the 190/50 , 190/55 and the 200/50. I prefer sticking to the stock size though the 200 was a close second. The 190/55 did not gel well with my riding style.

I run the avon tires. Most here don' like them but I do. My last set (storm 2 ultra) I got 14,000 miles out of and traction was fare. I am currently running the 3d xm and like it even better. They give me the amount of feed back I am looking for and I can drag the rear brake lever in the curves. Avon claims 15k miles out of them we will see.

I have a 2013 hayabusa and I ride the poop out of it and yet I’m getting 13,000 out of the Dunlop’s Q3 that are on it so I’d imagine I’ll get 15,000+ with the new Q3+. Not sacrificing grip and still getting amazing Mileage especially for dogging the bike almost 24/7 and my wife rides with me on it too so while not calling her fat that’s still more added weight etc going around corners. I don’t go super hard with her on it but we still have fun.

I have a 2013 hayabusa and I ride the poop out of it and yet I’m getting 13,000 out of the Dunlop’s Q3 that are on it so I’d imagine I’ll get 15,000+ with the new Q3+. Not sacrificing grip and still getting amazing Mileage especially for dogging the bike almost 24/7 and my wife rides with me on it too so while not calling her fat that’s still more added weight etc going around corners. I don’t go super hard with her on it but we still have fun.

I love the Dunlop Q3 series and just got the Q3+ for the front. They've always been my go to tires for my Busie since I got it 4 years ago after graduating from an 05' Gixxer 750. they last a long time especially for how well they grip the road, and the price per tire 8s very manageable.
I just picked up a big 2-3 inch screw in my rear Q3 200/50 doing some back roads and because I love the turns and twisties more and more now I'm gonna try 190/55's in a Q3+ to match the front. I can't wait to feel the difference in corners and the slightely higher stance. (I'm 6ft 3, 240 lbs) so I'm looking forward to the height increase

I need a new tire. it has a 190 currently, but was thinking of going 200. would this wear out quicker?

one main question -
the rear wheel for show or hard, tight curves like in the rockys or similar

MY experiance is:
a. for the one who likes it, it's ok, but the agility of the bike is reduced
b. the 190/55 instead of 190/50 increases agility a bit because the chassis is thereby about 8 mm higher in the rear but the stability when driving straight ahead does not let down - even at high speeds of over 150 mph

c. foreword:
the haya is in the original trim relatively hard to steer into / arround corners - a bit of "like a train on rails"

- So I made mine for gemarn country road as agile as possible, by
1. - 760 mm super bike bar
2. - front 15 mm lower
3. - rear 30 mm higher
AND
4. - 5.5 x 17" rim (named "BOD" from gsx-r 600 / 750 srad) + tire 180/55
my exp. to 4. :
definitely NO loosing of stability at any speed !
no sliding in the rear even at very tight corners and scratching footrests !
Please take a look at the following pdf document, which shows the relationship between tire width and inclination .
the less width the tire has the faster you are at same inclination / skew (?) (in ° degrees)
the other way round - you need less inclination at same speed (as possibly your front man)

pdf : How does the (rear) tire width affect the driving behavior

URGENT HINT : the "BOD" rim (point 4.) only fits to Gen I hayabusa NOT to Gen II

Back