What is your profession ?

Funny you say that. We just moved onto O365 in a Hybrid environment. I assumed this would cause us less hassle but sometimes it can be a pain in the ass. We had issues with public folders appearing and disappearing on desktops and Microsoft literally had no answer for us. Literally 2 months passed and they still don't know the issue. Tried blaming the inhouse desktops but I proved them wrong by doing a clean win 10 install O2016 and the issue persisted. Of course, you don't have any real access to their hosted side so sometimes it makes things difficult.

It's nice in a way as uptime has been pretty consistent but we had to kick up the internet. We are trying to move file sharing onto the cloud and get rid of some of the inhouse servers. We used Barracuda SSL VPN for a while but for file sharing it is literally the worst system.
That is literally like the age old scenario where you take over an older IT firms network and need server access and have to hound everyone and their mother for the passwords lol.

The public folders is almost always a permissions issue and when its a third party handling it I guess it could actually be more of a pain. Microsoft is the worst when it comes to support...They always have been that way.

Your right though uptime is def increased in the hybrid and hosted networks because of the multiple forms of redundancy. Its crazy to think that at one point "the cloud" didnt exist and all there was as you said were VPN's whether it be ipsec or SSL. If you had no internal network access, you had no shared files or folders.

I was using barracuda boxes for mail filtering back in the day and the rules for mail flow were so cryptic so I cant even imagine the file sharing. I guess it calls for patience more than anything.

Clearly you know your stuff and like what you do.

My Luxury accommodations during the day.

20190208_093540.jpg

Plush work space at night.
10623787_10202663346044989_782604588083123076_o.jpg

Helping with the local Top Fuel Harley team

43326483_10212191806410543_3898134711809081344_o.jpg

That is literally like the age old scenario where you take over an older IT firms network and need server access and have to hound everyone and their mother for the passwords lol.

The public folders is almost always a permissions issue and when its a third party handling it I guess it could actually be more of a pain. Microsoft is the worst when it comes to support...They always have been that way.

Your right though uptime is def increased in the hybrid and hosted networks because of the multiple forms of redundancy. Its crazy to think that at one point "the cloud" didnt exist and all there was as you said were VPN's whether it be ipsec or SSL. If you had no internal network access, you had no shared files or folders.

I was using barracuda boxes for mail filtering back in the day and the rules for mail flow were so cryptic so I cant even imagine the file sharing. I guess it calls for patience more than anything.

Clearly you know your stuff and like what you do.
You are absolutely right! A good friend of mine runs an IT department here in FL as well. He actually does the same as you mentioned and used Barracuda for mail filtering. He loved it at the beginning but he told me during the past 2 years cost went up and QOS went down. Unfortunate.

Do not get me started on Microsoft support. LOL I have been transferred to LVL 3 top tier support so many times and its always the same story. I do like their response time and they seem to have some knowledgeable staff but the majority is just reading from a book.

I agree on the cloud info. I used to use inhouse "personal cloud" systems for a bunch of things. I had good luck with the 4 drive synology's running raids in them. They were decent. I still have one here as we do a lot of work with govt agencies and they DO NOT like any cloud service. FTP is STILL their preference.

I saw that you were running O2010 and gave me a bit of a chuckle. I JUST recently through O2016 onto these desktops at work. We ran 2007 for a LONG LONG time. I honestly loved it, O2016 is still sometimes a pain in the ass. O365 rep said there was no way that 2007 would work with the O365 setup but that was BS. Worked just fine (still does on some). How do you feel about Win 10? Any recent experience with it?

You are absolutely right! A good friend of mine runs an IT department here in FL as well. He actually does the same as you mentioned and used Barracuda for mail filtering. He loved it at the beginning but he told me during the past 2 years cost went up and QOS went down. Unfortunate.

Do not get me started on Microsoft support. LOL I have been transferred to LVL 3 top tier support so many times and its always the same story. I do like their response time and they seem to have some knowledgeable staff but the majority is just reading from a book.

I agree on the cloud info. I used to use inhouse "personal cloud" systems for a bunch of things. I had good luck with the 4 drive synology's running raids in them. They were decent. I still have one here as we do a lot of work with govt agencies and they DO NOT like any cloud service. FTP is STILL their preference.

I saw that you were running O2010 and gave me a bit of a chuckle. I JUST recently through O2016 onto these desktops at work. We ran 2007 for a LONG LONG time. I honestly loved it, O2016 is still sometimes a pain in the ass. O365 rep said there was no way that 2007 would work with the O365 setup but that was BS. Worked just fine (still does on some). How do you feel about Win 10? Any recent experience with it?

I had quite a few mortgage brokers I supported who used Drobo as a NAS for local file sharing and loved it. I hated it.
I love office 2k7 and would still be running it had our hosted exchange provider supported it.
I have 2 virtual machines running windows 10 and my personal laptop also runs windows 10. I liked it in the beginning until it did an update and took it upon itself to un-install any of my "incompatible programs" which included CCA for cisco and a few other programs that I cant easily re-download so I was frustrated with that and will eventually restore my win7 image on it. The virtual machines run really well. I will say that the direction in which computing is headed, win10 works great. It is the only windows OS to fully support touch gui, and it plays nicely with cloud integration. It reminds me from years ago when Legal Clinics would setup "thin client" pc's that were essentially dummy terminals. To me windows 10 is a full weight thin client OS.
It is pretty sad when you think that this is basically the end of the traditional windows platform as we know it.

CMM, cool stuff

I saw what you do for a living and your Brown & Sharpe CMM in the background. Looks like you have some nice equipment there. We have a B&S Global Advantage. I like the Tesa wrist. +/- 90 deg in A and +/- 180 in B in 5 degree increments. With the probe rack it's awesome. It's touch trigger, not scanning, but works well for what we do.

We've got an OGP Flash 302 vision measurement tool (in reality we have several) which is nice for backing up the CMM. And of course the API Radian laser tracker which the CMM sometimes backs up. That in itself is a pretty slick tool.

Laser Tracker Demo Video

I saw what you do for a living and your Brown & Sharpe CMM in the background. Looks like you have some nice equipment there. We have a B&S Global Advantage. I like the Tesa wrist. +/- 90 deg in A and +/- 180 in B in 5 degree increments. With the probe rack it's awesome. It's touch trigger, not scanning, but works well for what we do.

We've got an OGP Flash 302 vision measurement tool (in reality we have several) which is nice for backing up the CMM. And of course the API Radian laser tracker which the CMM sometimes backs up. That in itself is a pretty slick tool.

Laser Tracker Demo Video

Yeah, they are cool machines.
I'm still trying to learn more about programming than just using them.
I use the Tesa daily, and have become pretty familiar with it.
The CMM I can just run a couple programs and watch it run. Just watching it calibrate itself against the ball and change tips is really interesting to me too. Amazing what technology can do.
I'm fortunate to work with Alot of people wayyy smarter than I am...I even learn something once in a while, lol.

... terrified of kindergarteners ...
... that's because they're little terrorists ...
... 90% of the US population ...

Toddler can be terrorists
Toddlers.jpg

" I have a boy and a girl. And although they are both beautiful, I am convinced that they are mini terrorists in training and I'm the person they have decided to hone their skills on." - from funny article, click here.

I know it's been said many times, and it may or may not be true; " ... the new generation is screwing up the world ..."

It's a matter of personal perspective.

My siblings and I, our cousins, friends or extended family could not even think of behavior that is "common place" for millennials and this new generation.

"Getting grounded" or a "time out" were not anything my generation knew. Maybe if being grounded meant we were knocked to the ground for misbehaving or thinking of being disrespectful !

A time out could have been the time we spent unconscious after being disciplined for misbehaving. (joke - though did see stars a few times)

There are many qualities and attributes gained from being reared in this manner. We not only learned to difference between right and wrong, fast, we learned respect and consequences for our actions (some thoughts too :D).

If I were ever to change professions, I would teach. All my life, anything I learned I wanted to share with others. The good, bad and the feeling of understanding.

In my opinion, sharing, teaching and connection with others is what has makes humanity successful.

When I retire; I'll coach, mentor, and/or volunteer with children, teenagers and adults. Wherever I can help.

Everyday I "reach my hand out" to another; to help or be helped. To love or be loved.

Corny, sappy, warm and fuzzy but true.

All for one, one for all
No member left behind
Each one, teach one

These are not words to me, these are principles I live by.

- sorry for the rant, I needed it.

Toddler can be terrorists
View attachment 1594082

" I have a boy and a girl. And although they are both beautiful, I am convinced that they are mini terrorists in training and I'm the person they have decided to hone their skills on." - from funny article, click here.

I know it's been said many times, and it may or may not be true; " ... the new generation is screwing up the world ..."

It's a matter of personal perspective.

My siblings and I, our cousins, friends or extended family could not even think of behavior that is "common place" for millennials and this new generation.

"Getting grounded" or a "time out" were not anything my generation knew. Maybe if being grounded meant we were knocked to the ground for misbehaving or thinking of being disrespectful !

A time out could have been the time we spent unconscious after being disciplined for misbehaving. (joke - though did see stars a few times)

There are many qualities and attributes gained from being reared in this manner. We not only learned to difference between right and wrong, fast, we learned respect and consequences for our actions (some thoughts too :D).

If I were ever to change professions, I would teach. All my life, anything I learned I wanted to share with others. The good, bad and the feeling of understanding.

In my opinion, sharing, teaching and connection with others is what has makes humanity successful.

When I retire; I'll coach, mentor, and/or volunteer with children, teenagers and adults. Wherever I can help.

Everyday I "reach my hand out" to another; to help or be helped. To love or be loved.

Corny, sappy, warm and fuzzy but true.

All for one, one for all
No member left behind
Each one, teach one

These are not words to me, these are principles I live by.

- sorry for the rant, I needed it.
You're not alone in any of these thoughts. Trust and believe that.

Being in Can trucking I realize our country's needs are much smaller than those of the US But until you are in the States it is hard to comprehend how big Big can be
This is the main Whse suppling ONLY Fresh and Frozen produce for Walmart It supplys the province of Ontario and a bit if its neighbour Quebec. It is large buy our standards.
You could drop the entire place including the parking lot and surrounding property into its equivalent American counter part and hardly notice it was there.
Until your are in a business what ever the business you have no idea what it takes to keep a country alive and well. I m really enjoying this thread for that fact alone.
It makes me grateful to be hear and not some of the elsewhere I can think of

1421259389995.jpg

I trained and worked as an aircraft mechanic and got to work on some very cool machines over the decades but three years ago decided that I'd had enough of aviation and the crazy that permeates it and walked away. Not sure what I was going to do, I happened to mention what I'd done at my favourite local motorcycle shop and they hired me on the spot. Now I work with fun people in the spring/summer/fall and have winters off to do my own thing. It's pretty great even if the money isn't as good. There's definitely more to life than money though, my sanity is priceless!

The first pic is me back in 2012 when I worked for the government and helped maintain their eclectic fleet of ancient research aircraft... the second is from Suzuki Demo Days 2017.
406168_10150482538609921_1701825859_n.jpg

18893308_10155366961949921_8431440682632667079_n.jpg

Good greif Red where did you find that guy??? :).
"There's not much difference between a Canadian and an American and the quickest way to tell who's which is say that to a Canadian"....Annonamous Canadian Farmer

Back