What is your profession ?

Retired july 2018 after 47 years on the road. 37 states 8 provinces 1territory. Got bored so now I work part time picking up the deceased who are going to be cremated. Pays lousy but the passengers are quiet ;)
HAHA I used to do this in a Piper Cherokee Six and NEVER had the first complaint about turbulence. Very proud of that record.
N7734J.jpg
My Dad sold it in the nineties but I punched the numbers in and this is our very plane. cool

I drove for a living for about 6 years, but only around 150k miles total.
I did 40 states OTR driving flatbed for TMC.
Then local for several companies.
I really enjoyed it, but all the texting and driving idiots eventually burnt out my patience. I don't miss the hassle.
If I was single with no kids, I think I'de find a drop and hook coast to coast job.
Fortunately I have the job that I do now.
Your not missing anything Brother, the new rules and regs are nonsense and 25% of drivers have retired in the last 5 months or so because of it.

Branch Manager for semi-trailer leasing company.....48’-53’ vans, flatbeds, reefers, chassis. Basically a combination of general manager oversight of operations in Stockton, CA and Reno, NV and B2B outside sales keeping a couple thousand trailers busy year-round. We work with everything from small local business owners to UPS, Costco, PepsiCo, Amazon, XPO Logistics, Penske, etc. I was at the Tesla plant today, but they wouldn’t let me leave with a Model S :confused:

Pretty interesting to see what like minded riders do for a living. Vastly different backgrounds here , but similar tastes in speed and performance.

I grew up in semiconductor capital equipment after working in a bike shop through college.

Worked as a technician testing and installing machines that make microchips, all over the globe. Later worked in Product Support and Engineering. After more schooling I became a Quality Assurance Engineer. For those who don't know Quality Control is the inspection of things to ensure compliance, Quality Assurance is management of processes that make things compliant. I did that and Project Management for years.

I was forced to take step back about 10 years ago when the economy went in the toilet. My background in drafting and robotics worked perfectly at filling a position at a new company. Since then I've been in Metrology. QC specifically. I am the sole CMM Programmer for a large Security (think baggage and bomb scanner) and MRI & CAT scan company. We also make ultrasound and imaging equipment. I do all the spectrophotometry for the place. I used to to do Laser Tracking at one time, which is large volume measurement, where tool like a theodolite, follows a sphere (retroreflector) and takes measurements of objects too big to fit inside normal measurement tools like CMMs.

I enjoy not having conference calls at all hours of the night and not having to jump on airplanes with a couple hours notice. I let other folks worry about that stuff. Today I come in, write programs, watch robots measure parts and tell the designers what I think went wrong with the translation of their drawings. Often times I'm telling the engineers how they implemented Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing incorrectly and how it's confusing to the machine shops trying to make the part. We implement the changes and try to get the supplier's to hit the tolerances we need. I walk out the door at the same time everyday. No more ridiculously late nights. Way better for family life.

I once interviewed at a place where they bragged about holding tolerances of +/- 0.005". I laughed inside thinking, "Dude. I live in a world of +0.0003/ -0.0000 all day. This job would be easy." Then while meeting with the VP he took a call in the middle of it. I decided right there I would never work for him.

Somewhere in the middle of all that career stuff, I found time to go road racing and drag racing and work with/for three or four pretty cool race teams and open two tuning shops for moonlighting (since I'd rather do things my way). Then again I'm on my 3rd marriage, so I don't suggest following my path. LOL

Still, my favorite accomplishments are finishing graduate school and earning my first patent. I don't use any of that stuff today, but no one can ever take it away from me.

Okay, so since we're digging a little deeper into our respective career paths, I'll open up a bit more. After turning over a frameless dump trailer (the kingpin breakaway bolts had been replaced with grade 8 hardware, it took the tractor with it) I realized I wasn't going to be able to physically handle a concrete truck into my 70's. With the blessing of my better half, I pulled together my transcripts from the first time I attended college 20 years before and plotted a path. Went in the evenings for three years and got an associate's degree, then took two afternoons off a week for two semesters and finished a bachelor's in criminal justice. Went full time for a year, working towards a master's in public administration, landed a job in contract compliance for the state. Realized I'd made a mistake not finishing, so after a year of that I quit and went back to finish the MPA. Got that last May. Decided I don't like where society is headed, so I want to make a difference. Best opportunity I have to influence people is to teach. I'm good at it, and I really enjoy both learning and teaching, so I'm working towards that goal. My chosen field of study is sociology, which simply put in the study of society.

Okay, so since we're digging a little deeper into our respective career paths, I'll open up a bit more. After turning over a frameless dump trailer (the kingpin breakaway bolts had been replaced with grade 8 hardware, it took the tractor with it) I realized I wasn't going to be able to physically handle a concrete truck into my 70's. With the blessing of my better half, I pulled together my transcripts from the first time I attended college 20 years before and plotted a path. Went in the evenings for three years and got an associate's degree, then took two afternoons off a week for two semesters and finished a bachelor's in criminal justice. Went full time for a year, working towards a master's in public administration, landed a job in contract compliance for the state. Realized I'd made a mistake not finishing, so after a year of that I quit and went back to finish the MPA. Got that last May. Decided I don't like where society is headed, so I want to make a difference. Best opportunity I have to influence people is to teach. I'm good at it, and I really enjoy both learning and teaching, so I'm working towards that goal. My chosen field of study is sociology, which simply put in the study of society.
ure sooooooo lucky ure better half works with you... im trying to figure out a way to go to law school.... but these checks keep clearing and I get more and more years into my current job... anything in law enforcement is VERY stressful and every decision u make is scrutinized... I have directives memorized.... along with standards of behavior.... pray for me guys... u have no idea the BS I go through.... actually u might have some idea... I have opinions, but apparently I shouldn't.... that said my degree is in Political science and Philosophy..... bachelors... from American Intl College in springfield, MA.... this current job (Dept of corrections) is great when things are quiet and everyone acts like they should.... but when things go WRONG.. they REALLY go wrong... and our staff is getting younger and younger... the old guys retired and newjacks are here.... and this pat summer... the gangs... bloods and trinitarios... were stabbing/slashing each other... for 2 months.... EVERY DAY there was a slashing/stabbing... a lot of newjacks quit... creating LOTS of overtime.... so my cushy job working 11PM till 7am... became 11PM till 3 PM EVERY OTHER DAY...…. I never faked workmans comp and I never called in sick... i think a lot of the new guys saw the worst that corrections can serve up... and they decided it wasn't for them.... plus they reduced pay for the job now.... so we are getting what we are getting.... but I trained some great newjacks and I think they learned the RIGHT way to handle ureself in an emergency... they learned what a setup COULD look like,,, they learned WHEN to use force... and when not to use force and use ure VOICE... I really did my best.... some strategies work and some strategies DO NOT work... housing unit officers/ red dot response can be a tricky job to master....... allllll is quiet right now at work... its nice.

Last edited:
If your partner doesn't invest in your future, and in doing so her own, get a new one. Mine has a PhD in neuropsychology, she both understands the value of an advanced degree and makes enough money that I can get one. I understand exactly what someone in your profession goes through, my suggestion is to get your money right, learn to live on a tighter budget and switch careers. It isn't easy, but it can be done.

If your partner doesn't invest in your future, and in doing so her own, get a new one. Mine has a PhD in neuropsychology, she both understands the value of an advanced degree and makes enough money that I can get one. I understand exactly what someone in your profession goes through, my suggestion is to get your money right, learn to live on a tighter budget and switch careers. It isn't easy, but it can be done.
that's the thing.... I got 13 years now.... 12 more and I can retire.... I would be 48..... I am taking the LSAT... been preparing for that.... then im gonna try to enroll in a special program that lets SOME of the coursework to be done online.... the rest has to be classroom..... I HATE to give up the pension... the pension alone is gonna be 50-60K a year.. plus I have deferred comp.... I only put away 4 percent in deferred compensation.... but still..... the job has been soooo good to me for a long long time.... AND this year our new contract came throught.. the state owes us 2-3 percent for 3 years I believe.,... so a RETRO check is coming in a few weeks... the retro pay is gonna be over 10 000.... 10K in my bank account is gonna be GREAT.... so I cant knock things tooo much.

that's the thing.... I got 13 years now.... 12 more and I can retire.... I would be 48..... I am taking the LSAT... been preparing for that.... then im gonna try to enroll in a special program that lets SOME of the coursework to be done online.... the rest has to be classroom.
I understand, but if you're that stressed or miserable at work, is it worth putting in 12 more? Only you know the answer to that....

I understand, but if you're that stressed or miserable at work, is it worth putting in 12 more? Only you know the answer to that....
I work overnight.... 11pm till 7 am...… its the getting stuck during the daytime that was wrecking me... and the staff was sooooo new.... even the sergeants(new) were new hires... its a bad day when a LIEUTENANT is asking me procedural questions... but they were allll new hires..... we are allll family though... we would die for one another.... its like no other working environment ive ever seen.... we are all very close... or we become that way... and ive become very close with that particular lieutenant,,, its not like he is my boss... he knows I know my stuff... mutual respect... all said and done.... in 13 years... I have written less than 20 tickets.... 3 of them I was ORDERED to do so.... I don't like tickets... to me …. its almostr a sign that inmates DONT respect you.... and THATS a major problem.

Last edited:
Network Engineer for the past 7 years with the current company. Not your typical everyday IT department. In charge of company owned vessel tracking worldwide, Satellite Communications for remote locations on job sites, and supporting the day to day IT operations of 8 worldwide offices between two of us. Underpaid? I'd say so. I get to play with cool IT toys while I set them up for others, guess thats a benefit. I like a fast paced environment that keeps the brain occupied.
On thing about being in IT that I loved, you are always on the up and up with new technology. The one thing I hated, as you said underpaid. I was always underpaid. As a CCNP and Certified voice engineer when Cisco rolled out their CUE and Unified Calling systems I made $65,000 at the top of the ladder. But the mental benefits and knowledge made it all worth it.

Forgot to add years later I asked the owner why did you hire me with so little knowledge on electronics .
He replied no bad habits , and trainable . In fire alarm we work with DC voltage . So telling them I could put
Red on + , and black on - was the winner . New helpers screw this up often .
You sure he just didn’t see your OCD glimmering through and thought “YES” this is it! Lol. Maybe that is the “no bad habits”

After reading these offered personal histories, I thought: wow, what a wonderfully eclectic collection of beautiful people found in this community! Truly, it's not about the destination but rather the journey. What does that say about our passion for Hayabusa?

I once had a wife who insisted I get rid of the dog, then a dog, and a wife who insisted I get rid of the motorcycle. Now I have a dog and a Hayabusa, which is so much more than just a motorcycle. Life is good. I am working on my second novel and work part-time at a movie theater to pay for the dog and the Hayabusa.

I got a pretty crappy job really . . .
I ride Suzukis and BMWs and try to service/repair them on a daily basis.
Mon-Fri, 40 hours a week.
Pay is OK, people are great being ALL motorcycle fanatics! *
I was a car mechanic for 35 years at dealerships and a few country garages, interesting work some of the time, but some of the car fanatics disliked me coz I was a biker and promoting it daily, emphasising things like power to weight ratios and how there is soooo much more skill in riding a motorcycle etc . . . didn't go down too well I guess lol.
So at the age of 60 I applied for a mechanics position at the local Suzuki/BMW dealership and the rest is history, lovin' it!

View attachment 1594001

View attachment 1594002

View attachment 1594003

View attachment 1594004

View attachment 1594005
The best job in the world in my opinion.......... being a mechanic is like being a barber...... the client really has to trust you.

Back