What brand of brake pads and when to replace rotors?

Jimbusaha

Registered
I have a 2005 busa and never had to change the pads so I need help getting them off. I checked the rotors and the rear is 3.5 mm thick. The manuel says the front can't be less than 4.5 and it's 4 mm. So I guess I'll need rotors unless the minimum isn't that critical?

EBC HH pass front and rear. EBC front rotor, eBay knockoff rear rotor here.....
8A992A65-5D99-45D0-8E9F-9A69822CC453.jpeg

W

Why lightweight? Lightweight = less life?

Any rotor regardless of the weight is better than what you got now , you should be looking for 5.5mm thick maximum rotor @ 320mm for Gen 1 , but double check that . I would be looking at something affordable , I wouldn't go expensive if your current rotors are any indication of your interest in these things bro . HH sintered pads of any kind better than not HH . Be sure to watch the wear on these things , careful bedding in pads so not to glaze the rotor . Rotors wear out no matter what you decide on , but you can get quality rebuild able items .

My Ducati had Brembos and my car has them now. They sure stopped well on the Duc but felt wooden, not enough feel at the lever. I suppose they’re better now. They don’t feel wooden on my car at all, great modulation. Maybe the ABS helps? as the Duc wasn’t so equipped. JME.

m4 monoblocks are cheaper and relatively inexpensive but I dunno…. this whole upgrading brakes thing has me all flustered.... im thinking gp4rx (nickel finish) or the 484s.... these 2000 dollar apiece monoblocks are for the birds.... I cant justify it.

Brembo Street Radial Calipers
The .484 and GP4-RX both use the 32/32 piston setup and are bridged across the top of body . These are both the same calipers ( nickle coated or black anodized ) , they are the top street Brembo caliper , but are really level with the radial P4 2 piece billet ( nickle or gold anodized ) ( not bridged over top of body ) with the offset piston size 30/34 (off the top of my head) , a caliper often used by racers in fact . All these calipers are available in various finishes , but are all billet , and are all 2 piece .
The other street calipers from Brembo , are the 1 piece cast items , currently fitted to many top line sport motorcycle . These caliper work good , I am not sure of the piston configuration , and represent very good value . The M4 Brembo is fitted to the '13+ Busa for example , and the M50 , which is I'm told fitted to the Ducati Panigale . The M50 maybe 100mm mounting option only .
But most of these calipers mentioned come in 2 mount sizes , 108mm ( Japanese ) and 100mm ( European ) . Best to search out a caliper you like and see if it lists either your choice of bike or the compatible mounting spacing your bike requires . Also ,as example , the pads available for say the 108mm GP4-RX , is the same pad for the 100mm GP4-RX . The M4 cast monobloc also uses the same pad range as those of the billet mentioned .
Now every Brembo beyond the mentioned calipers are from then on the race items , in monobloc , in full billet aluminum , starting out from the first trick GP4-RR monobloc caliper to 3 or 4 further up scale and scary $ choices .
The street variants are a great choice , but must have a corresponding master cylinder for full effect .

Back