Tires for winter riding?

ZeePopo

Registered
Hey guys, for those of you riding in the cold, what kind of tires you recommend? Lowest temperature I've ridden is 35f but I want to go lower and still be safe.

Good question, I personally wouldn't ride when it was that cold. I have never heard of a cold specific tire for a bike, that doesn't mean they do not exist. Motorcycle tires are softer by nature, that being said, softer compounds are more susceptible/affected by the cold. You would be the best safety gauge I guess.
That cold, now your talking ice patches, snow run off, sand, & at that point I say you are a braver warm blooded person than I. Good luck with your quest.

The same tires you run in warmer weather...Just give your tires more time to warm up.
ON hot days I feel as my tires are up to temp within 2-3 miles before I start dipping into turns
Winter time I will go atleast double that before I feel comfortable.
Ive ridden in temps as low as the teens.

At 35 degrees no motorcycle tire is going to get warm enough to make a noticeable difference. Riding when the temp is near or below freezing is risky at best.

Although I have no experience to support a confident opinion, I would guess a touring tire with a high silica content would be the best choice for cold weather riding. :dunno:

When the temp nears freezing I'm leaving the scoot in the garage.

As long as you're not cranking it over, ride in any temps. that you can stand. You'll be the limiting factor first. I ride everyday and never had any problems. I ride round trip to work which is over 25 miles. I'm not pushing lean angles but do lean making all my turns. I'm riding the speed limit on all roads not creeping along. I rode single digits a couple of times, teens too many times to count, and 20's hundreds of times with 0 problems. I'm on Conti Motion tires right now, which I call my winter tires, because of the wear factor. I generally run softer tires in the warmer months because of my mountain riding where I needing the extra grip. As long as the roads are clear you shouldn't have any problems. I live in the south, so we get very little, if any snow.

I've been on the bike in sub freezing temps. I obviously slow down and ride a little different. Kinda like I do for riding in the rain or any other hazard.

Good question, I personally wouldn't ride when it was that cold. I have never heard of a cold specific tire for a bike, that doesn't mean they do not exist. Motorcycle tires are softer by nature, that being said, softer compounds are more susceptible/affected by the cold. You would be the best safety gauge I guess.
That cold, now your talking ice patches, snow run off, sand, & at that point I say you are a braver warm blooded person than I. Good luck with your quest.

Have you ever even seen snow? :moon:

Have you ever even seen snow? :moon:

Yes, I have. I was born in Manhattan and grew up in Flushing Queens. 28 years worth. Winter of 96' was the last straw before retiring to Florida.

Not quite as much as you in BFE "upstate" NY...:whistle: Did learn to ski in the Adirondack's @ Gore Mountain & WhiteFace, aka Lake Placid.

Back