fuel octane

mattd428

Registered
so i read on here a while back that several of you have been running 87 octane in your bikes while fueling up today i put 87 octane in my bike and my buddy on the r1 completely dissagreed saying that it is a high compression engine and requires high octane which i dont dissagree with but the difference between 87 and 93 really isnt a large difference in my opinion what are your thoughts on this

Countless threads on this.. gen 1 recommends 87 or higher. Gen 2 93.

When EVER I put 87 in my gen 1 the gas station attendants almost falls over in shock."man, if that was bike I would only put the best in!"

Higher oct. Does not mean better. You wouldn't put 115 in a street bike. I run 87 and seafoam every oil change. I would worrie more about the ethanol, then oct. Levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's general to different engine series , usage and engine load and such. Chamber designs , overlap and ignition advance curves + more can vary between brands and models of the brands.

They all need enough octane to stop the ping.

Been many years since i rode a stock motor Busa but under load , two up in 95F conditions a GenI would ping as the ignition advanced around 4k rpm coming out of a corner in 2nd - on 87. 1401's sure don't like 87 either- ping can be brutal on the rings, ring lands and rod bearings given enough time.

I wish 100 was at ALL the pumps for my bike . Especially my son's Honda for whats going in it end of season. You know the car guys would like it.

I run both in my busa I can't feel any difference but I do know the 1000cc bikes have to have 93 they are running more compression than the gen 1s
Posted via Mobile Device

if bike says 87 run 87, any higher and your just throwing your $$ away. the octane rating is the ability of the fuel to resist detonation. so if you require 87 and you run 91/93 your just pushing unburt fuel out your pipe and potentially fouling up plugs as your not getting a full burn on air/fuel mixture.

I do the same as busa 186, seafoam is an amazing "tool". Use 87-90 in my Gen I depending on seafoam treatments.

For awhile it was floating around here the Gen1 Busa called for 87 octane.

Read the owners manual . It says a <minimum> of 87 octane. If it pings when running it on the street- use higher octane - that simple. :thumbsup:

I ran 87 no alcohol in the Gen I for 36K no knocks, pings, etc. I remember in the '70's having to leave cars in gear to turn them off :laugh:

Read the owners manual . It says a <minimum> of 87 octane. If it pings when running it on the street- use higher octane - that simple. :thumbsup:

87 is the best fuel on the gen 1's

as long as there is no ethanol in it

I use 87 my motor does not ping:poke: :laugh:

I run 87 octane in my Gen 1 just as the owners manula specifies and 93 octane in my Gen 2, again as specifoed by Suzuki. On a stock Gen 1 or Gen 2 engine, I doubt if you would see any practical difference between using the different octane fules BUT on my 2 stoke snowmobile engine there is a huge difference between the octane levels. With a two stoke, running the engine on too low an octane fule means certain death for the engine.

I only run premium because the 87 has the ethanol in it and the higher octanes do not around here.Ethanol ruins fuel systems, spoils the gas faster and if the busa is a high compression engine, I wouldnt run anything less than 92.

I've always ran whatever pump 87 I came to when I needed to fill my Gen 1, never a problem in 3 years and 18,000 miles.
Hot, cold, 2 up, track days, no pings, knocks, rattles, nothing.

Oil and tires are a different story though..:laugh:

I guess fuel depends on the area you live in.They put 10% ethanol in the 87 fuel here and it sucks.I think its more in the winter time.

Bottom line.... Depends on compression ratio
I own a 2009 model GENII which is high compression compared to GENI
I do use 92 OR BETTER, YES, if you are running 10:1 or less then you need to tune
for 87

Back