what fuel octane to use

DocDrop

Hooch Master
Donating Member
Registered
Checking to see what fuel rating you all are using in your Busas. I have a 05 and i run 87 octane but i have heard i should run 92/93 how true is that.

87 makes the most power in a stock engine.Watch out for what is being added to the fuel to make it a higher octane number.

Yep....it's been proven before with a stock or lightly modded bike, they run faster and dyno higher with 87pump. If you are heavily modded, that is the only time you will get an improvement, unless you run race gas.

Mine dynoed 158rwhp with 87 pump bonestock!
wink.gif

I always wondered about this. If high compression engines require higher octane, why do our high compression engines require the lowest available? Of course there are bikes out there with more compression than ours, but ours is higher than most cars. If those cars take 87, why do our bikes take the same?

87 for me.I have dyno'ed it with 87 and 93 same day and same conditions on same dyno.Mine made more power on 87,plus runs faster mph at the track on 87.

I always wondered about this. If high compression engines require higher octane, why do our high compression engines require the lowest available? Of course there are bikes out there with more compression than ours, but ours is higher than most cars. If those cars take 87, why do our bikes take the same?
I read somewhere that it is because of the smaller diameter pistons. Something about a smaller wave front that produces less detonation, thus requiring less octane than an engine with bigger pistons.

I don't think they add anything to pump (93 octane) gas to get the extra octane. I believe they refine it further to remove impurities to get the extra. I read that somewhere anyway.

Now on race fuel, they add a bunch of stuff including lead to get the higher octane and it does burn worse than lower octance fuel.

85 octane here. Once in a while I'll throw in 86 or 87 depending on what my GPS says.

Sea level: 87
Half-mile high: 86
Mile high: 85

I find it amusing (sorta) that 85 octane here costs the same as 86 or 87 octane elsewhere. You'd think we'd have cheaper gas. fcuking gas companies.

Carl

I read somewhere that it is because of the smaller diameter pistons.  Something about a smaller wave front that produces less detonation, thus requiring less octane than an engine with bigger pistons.

I don't think they add anything to pump (93 octane) gas to get the extra octane. I believe they refine it further to remove impurities to get the extra. I read that somewhere anyway.

Now on race fuel, they add a bunch of stuff including lead to get the higher octane and it does burn worse than lower octance fuel.
Per the 2nd paragraph.
So wouldn't the 93 be better since its cleaner?

Here in the good ol' cornfields of South Dakota I have to watch where I buy my 87. At a majority of the stations the 87 octane is 10% ethenol. The manual says that the busa can handle it but I still avoid it. But in my pos car I run the hell out of it!
biggrin.gif

I read somewhere that it is because of the smaller diameter pistons. Something about a smaller wave front that produces less detonation, thus requiring less octane than an engine with bigger pistons.

Per the 2nd paragraph.
A quick little FYI from The FTC... comin' at ya on th QT... I'll get it out ASAP... or is that PDQ...
tounge.gif

There is just NOTHING like the smell of burnt C-12 or 14 fuel......especially when it is mixed with burnt rubber...........................................Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, the aroma!

But I run 87.

Per the 2nd paragraph.
Yep. I think that is the way it is. C16 (VP) is 118 MON and it is the WORST burning stuff. But, you have to have it for 15:1 comp ratios and engines that hot turn in better times even if the fuel sucks when it burns.

Per the 2nd paragraph.
A quick little FYI from The FTC... comin' at ya on th QT... I'll get it out ASAP... or is that PDQ...
tounge.gif
Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm your engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. But don't ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.
Yeah, like a piston up your azzhole!

Back