two weeks from today first time at the strip!

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
So two weeks from today i will be hitting speedworld in arizona and im so excited to do this. Anybody got any tips for a newbie?

If it is for drag racing...

You could do a burnout in your driveway just to get the hang of that...lock up the front brake and give it some gas and pop the clutch...better to stall it at home than.

You don't really need a burnout if your just getting the hang of going down the track...you will stage the bike and then leave before the last light goes green or you will be late. Once you getting the feel and wanting to go quicker drop the rear tire pressure and it will bite more. Traction should not be a problem if the spray the track.

Take a few minutes to talk with the starter guy and tell him you are new and what bike your on and see if he suggests the left or right lane and in that lane the left or right side of it...make your pass where the car tires go...likley there will be better grip there. You could check out youtube for posts of staging a bike or car...once you are sucked in it gets expensive.

Be safe and have fun

LOL, Any mods need to be done? No dont have to do a single thing but a Stock Hayabusa on a sticky dragstrip is a challenge to run and get off the line with. Dont expect high 9's or low 10's in stock trim like the magazines say unless your Ricky Gadson or Peewee gleason weighing 100lbs.

Slow on the clutch so you don't loop it. lower your tire pressure to about 20. stay low and up front on the seat . start rpms around 4grand and work your way up. I'm kinda new also , i'm sure you will get some more advise

Lots of good tips here! Keep it up. I am going to be at the busa stampede getting to go to the drags for the first time on my bike too. Can't wait.

Ive been told numerous times if you dont do the Clutch mod (200.00) your going to damage your clutch in your stock gen II busa, so I am done and even more so you cant launch a stock clutched genII busa worth a chit, there is hardly any slipping allowed in the stock setup.

LOL, Any mods need to be done? No dont have to do a single thing but a Stock Hayabusa on a sticky dragstrip is a challenge to run and get off the line with. Dont expect high 9's or low 10's in stock trim like the magazines say unless your Ricky Gadson or Peewee gleason weighing 100lbs.

Lol thats not true..Im far far far from RG&very first pass ever on my Gen2 w temp tags from the dealer still in effect I went 9.8..Im 215-220lbs suited
You just have to find the right launch rpm for YOU;not what everybody else says you should be leaving at. When I was stock I found 4000-4500rpm worked best for me..any higher it would just wheelie instantly

yea just have fun and take it easy off the line. you wouldnt want to wheelie and end up on your back with your girl doing back flips down the strip. just try to get a little quicker off the line each time. remember that the only person you are really racing is you. take a break between runs to let the bike cool. dont make the mistake i did of doing hot laps.

Lol thats not true..Im far far far from RG&very first pass ever on my Gen2 w temp tags from the dealer still in effect I went 9.8..Im 215-220lbs suited
You just have to find the right launch rpm for YOU;not what everybody else says you should be leaving at. When I was stock I found 4000-4500rpm worked best for me..any higher it would just wheelie instantly

Strapped down? The wheelie problem comes in during the power band, not off the line I can control a clutch lever and launch RPM, I just cant get WOT in first or going into 2nd.

Yes,I always lower my bikes going to the track..besides Im kinda short anyways & I have to tip-toe my damn Gen2 at a stoplight lol

LOL, well no wonder how all these times are quicker then mine "Stock" means Stock mean to me as if it came off the showroom floor. Try and ride a busa down the track that is prepped in stock height. Whoooooole different story, thanks I was starting to ask myself how in the hell are they getting into the 1.6 range on a stock genII busa..

LOL, well no wonder how all these times are quicker then mine "Stock" means Stock mean to me as if it came off the showroom floor. Try and ride a busa down the track that is prepped in stock height. Whoooooole different story, thanks I was starting to ask myself how in the hell are they getting into the 1.6 range on a stock genII busa..

Ha! Been there,done that..I wont mess around on a stock height bike anymore

make about 2 passes or 3 with no cares of anything but just to get rid of any butterflies if thats an issue, you don't have to try to leave damn hard on your first few passes. after that have fun with it... thats about all the advice i have for a newbie. i'm still working on myself and don't have a lot of expertise but i can tell you a few things

work on getting wot asap & watch your clutch, learn to work them together

learning to do a burnout out on a country road is a good idea, so your not afraid to let it go at the drag strip.

drop the air in your tire to 20-25 lbs is good, so long as you have means to air it back up if you're riding to the dragstrip

other than that have fun :thumbsup:

make about 2 passes or 3 with no cares of anything but just to get rid of any butterflies if thats an issue, you don't have to try to leave damn hard on your first few passes. after that have fun with it... thats about all the advice i have for a newbie. i'm still working on myself and don't have a lot of expertise but i can tell you a few things

work on getting wot asap & watch your clutch, learn to work them together

learning to do a burnout out on a country road is a good idea, so your not afraid to let it go at the drag strip.

drop the air in your tire to 20-25 lbs is good, so long as you have means to air it back up if you're riding to the dragstrip

other than that have fun :thumbsup:

I will disagree with the tire pressure of 20-25 and I am assuming you are referring to stock / oem non drag radials such as the 003.
Under inflation will actually put less of a contact down. The best way to find the perfect air pressure in your rear tire is to find some fresh blacktop,
Take off hard spinning the tire, now go back and look at the foot print you left. I will bet anything if I had 20-25lbs in my rear tire at 245-255 suited it would bow the middle of my tire in leaving two narrow black marks leaving the center with no contact to the surface.
As stated start off with 37PSI, take of hard spin the tire go back it should be a solid wide black mark, drop the pressure until you achieve the widest darkest black mark before the outter edges only show.
Major mistake of rookies Ohhh I need to drop my air pressure down, All the other racers run 7.5lbs in there dragslicks etc, whole different story on a street tire, Test this result and get back with me..:beerchug:

thats embarrasing replying to a year old thread...lol, oh well, wouldn't be the first time. just gotta laugh at my dumbas* self and move on.

on another note... interesting statement you make there lankee. i'll have to test that out sometime, i'm not sure about suited but i weigh 140-145 lbs in my skibbies, usually closer to 140. I don't know if my skin & bones would have the same effect on a street tire but thats real interesting and i'll have to do a burn out on my battleaxe next time i'm out and about to see. i run a shinko hook-up at 18-22 psi depending on what the tracks doing, i only ran my street tire the first couple times i went to the drag strip. upon deciding that sucked, i got on ebay and bought a spare wheel set up and ordered a shinko. i rode it to the track those first two times so i didn't put it below 32 psi cause i wanted to make it home ok, lol.

thanks for the info and i'll check it out...im not sure when i would need to know that since i don't run street tires anymore but i always like to learn something new. :beerchug:

thats embarrasing replying to a year old thread...lol, oh well, wouldn't be the first time. just gotta laugh at my dumbas* self and move on.

on another note... interesting statement you make there lankee. i'll have to test that out sometime, i'm not sure about suited but i weigh 140-145 lbs in my skibbies, usually closer to 140. I don't know if my skin & bones would have the same effect on a street tire but thats real interesting and i'll have to do a burn out on my battleaxe next time i'm out and about to see. i run a shinko hook-up at 18-22 psi depending on what the tracks doing, i only ran my street tire the first couple times i went to the drag strip. upon deciding that sucked, i got on ebay and bought a spare wheel set up and ordered a shinko. i rode it to the track those first two times so i didn't put it below 32 psi cause i wanted to make it home ok, lol.

thanks for the info and i'll check it out...im not sure when i would need to know that since i don't run street tires anymore but i always like to learn something new. :beerchug:

Another to add into the factor if you are real serious about bracket racing and consitency is to remember, PSI will increase after the burnout and track temp... depending on the compound. I was so consistent when I dragraced that I knew how much my tire pressure increased at a set RPM and length of burnout.
Example: I had a simple timer that was set from .01 1.0 second adjustments.
It was hooked into a momentary pushbutton switch so when I did my burnout in 2nd gear@ 8500 RPMS (slider clutch) and had the timer set to hmm say 4.5 seconds the shift lite would go out. This way I knew what my tire temp was after the burnout within .5PSI. Yes this may seem like a lot of precision but I used to bracket race and if you gave anymore then a .018 package you were getting loaded up usually by the 3rd round. I would look at the thousandth on my 60ft times to compare data. But this is what works and gets the most out of your run.
Try it you will be surprised on how much of that tire print your putting to the ground and what areas of the tire arent even touching the pavement under hard accleration. Also, measure your tire temp in the staging lanes before rolling out, do your burnout and have a crew member measure the tire psi now.. Ohhhh WOW!!!! ;)

Back